Were You Surprised That Your JW "Friends" Dumped You After All These Years?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• NYer Girl
    NYer Girl

After 6 years, I still have dreams about my old friends and I'll wake up feeling really sad. It's not that I miss THEM, really, but I miss having friends, period. Being abandoned by so many so quickly left me without a single friend from my childhood. When coworkers talk about friends from elementary school, I have none to mention: I rejected all of my wordly classmates and my witness friends rejected me. I sometimes see them on the street, and, although I know they'll never speak to me, I sometimes wish they would, so that I can let them know I'm not the bad person they assume me to be. Am I being too sentimental?

• Gregor
    Gregor

...I sometimes wish they would, so that I can let them know I'm not the bad person they assume me to be. Am I being too sentimental?

Perfectly normal for a normal person. Just keep your guard up about caring what they think. You know who you are.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I didn't have many JW friends so it was not a loss. My parents and 2 siblings that are still JW's don't "really" shun. They do it when it's convienent for them or around other JW's. Sometimes I wish they would shun me!

nj

• monophonic
    monophonic

surprised and hurt...even though it was 'rumored' that i was inactive. dropped like that from supposed life long friends who went into elaborate stories of what i was doing....that i wasn't doing.

surprised and hurt that these so called christians and friends of over 20 years didn't call or get in touch to see if i was ok, just decided to slander me.

more proof jws are far from christianity....i thank them for the realization and understanding my misplaced loyalty.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I left in 83, I knew what kind of critters I was dealing with. So, I cut them off, a reverse psychology effect that they could not get their minds around. I still get invited to get togethers with my elder brother in laws which I rarely attend. I might go if there is a good meal and drink involved and its at my feeding time. And then I say I'm sorry but I got to eat and run.

• restrangled
    restrangled

No Minimus,

From family to friends, it was always expected. When it happened I was not surprised, it just hurt that my worry about beloved individuals and family did so easily dump me like a hot potato when the mood finally struck. (It's called....... "Conditional Love"

r.

• helncon
    helncon

No i did it first.

I stopped having anything to do with my JW friends before i left.

It was just easier that way.

Though at the same time i was picking up 'worldly' friends.

Helen

• The Humper
    The Humper

not really, though i do have some friends who might actually say hi if they saw me and knew no other witnesses were around.

and there is one guy who is more like a brother then a friend, hes an MS and is "going to be good till his friends weddings are done." hes in a few weddings and wants to be there for that occasion. ive offered for him to come live with me for a bit so he can fade out. we had a discussion about some of the things most R&F arent aware of like the whole UN and Rand Cam stuff.

makes me wonder if he lingers on here or not.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I wasn't dumped immediately. I had lots of phone calls, cards, and visits from good friends. But when they realized that I wasn't staying away from the meetings because of my health problems, and I wasn't willing to talk to them about why I was staying away, their interest dried up pretty quickly.

And yes, it hurt. Still does. A friend and I went to lunch a couple months back, and she literally started crying, telling me that she's never had a friend like me and hasn't found another in the hall that she feels close to like me. I told her that I hadn't gone anywhere and that she was always welcome at my house, to call, etc. I haven't heard from her since.

GGG

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

What really hurts is the hatefulness they show now when we bump into each other in Public. Today in the grocery store ran right into the' head matriarch ' of our old hall. When I said 'Hello ', she gritted her teeth and said ' hello' back then turned away . Her face grew cold and hard as she replied . Then at the check out another witness did the exact same thing . Then an old couple walked in ( because of ill health this elderly man seldom was regular and I imagine he doesn't attend at all now ) . He got a huge smile on his face when he saw me , brought his wife over and was so happy to catch up with me .He asked about the family and was so loving and kind . His wife never was a witness ,she told me they had just moved into a retirement home, and it was a good thing their two (nonjw) sons helped them with everything because there sure was no one else they could rely on . I got her drift . After I left the store I thought about how bad I could have felt for the cold shoulder the other two gave me , but I realized what a great lesson it was on who was really loving . The kind man because he missed so many meetings was never given much attention by those in the hall . Now that he is just living to take care of himself and his wife he looks really happy . Thankfully he hasn't been poisoned by their rotten fruits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit