Religions similar to JWs.

by LtCmd.Lore 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Does anyone know of any religions that are VERY similar to Jehovahs Witnesses?

It tends to come up in discussions with them a LOT, they like to think that they are the only ones that don't believe in hell, the trinity, that Jesus died on a stake, that they won't go to heaven, or stuff like that. I could probaby just prove them WRONG, but that would take forever and it would be a lot easier to just say: "You're not as unique as you think..."

Lore

• monophonic
    monophonic

i refer to seventh day adventists as jehovah's witness-lite.

but my knowledge of the adventists is limited, that's only from knowledge of my psycho grandfather's widow who is one...and from third hand knowledge, women can hold prominent positions and i think they're a bit looser when it comes to holidays, not sure about the trinity, but she used to address her letters as 'may jehovah bless you', type stuff.

also, my wife's friend was in something, i think it was the church of christ, or very similar wording, where the member numbers were similar and the shunning seemed spot on as well as the shaming of sexuality. if someone knows what i'm talking about and has the correct name of the church...i'd be interested.

in COC, didn't franz discuss a church that published a magazine similar to the Watchtower and they had the same date as 1914, but when they realized they were wrong, they apologized to their members....that might have been his other book....

as you can see i'm going through the memory of my fried brain, so hopefully someone can make sense out of one of the above better than i can.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Catholic church has a new section that does not believe in Trinity. A lot of religion believe in the Hell doctrine. I still wonder about Revelation second death is it just a common grave or does the pit seem not so common grave?

I could say something about all the off shoots of the Bible Students but that would be boring.

I think I will stick with the Catholic church, after all the WTBTS borrowed most of their stuff including the fall of Jerusalem. What do you think about the non trinity section of the Catholic church? I guess the J.W. will not be able to slam them anymore on the Trinity topic. :-) I am soooo happy about that one! smerk!

I dont even think the WTBTS knows about it yet!

Hmmm, most other religion believe in all members partaking. I think they are unique in that topic. Perhaps you can find a satanic religion that does not believe in partaking like the J.W.!

Good Night!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are plenty, actually. The Catholic church is a much more mature version of the Watchtower Society. It has a structure similar to the Tower. In fact, they once succeeded in controling the flow of knowledge the way the Tower seeks to, and in doing so, got us into the Dark Ages. Of course, the Tower is envious of this, and always bashing the Catholic church and trying to set themselves off from them. If people only knew that the Watchtower Society is actually a sinister mutant of the Catholic church, they might stick with the Catholic church or find a Protestant denomination, study the Bible independently, or simply bag it altogether and go atheist or Satanist.

The Seventh-Day Adventists, the Millennial Dawnists, and the Mormons all have common ancestry with the Watchtower Society. Once they were all the same denomination. Different splinter groups formed, and one of them became Jehovah's Witnesses. So much for sectarianism being condemned--I guess what they don't want is for people to splinter off from the Witlesses, bring back the wits, and usurp the membership from the Craptower Society.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Try this link http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/similar.htm

The 19th century religions are very similar, Mormons, SDA etc., started by conceited people that thought no other faith was as good as the one they could start. Most similar to JWs (apart from Bible students) are Christadelphians. The only major difference is that they believe Satan is figurative.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

The Christadelphians have many similar beliefs to the watchtower.
    Here are some examples

1. The Bible is God's word and the only message from him. It is without error, except for copying and translation errors.
    2. There is only one God - the Father. The Holy Spirit is God's power.
    3. Jesus is the Son of God, and a human being, through his mother Mary.
    4. Man is mortal, having no existence when dead.
    5. By living a sinless life, ending with his sacrificial death by crucifixion, Jesus has opened the way of salvation from death.
    6. Belief and baptism are essential steps to salvation.
    7. God raised Jesus from death. Jesus is currently in Heaven, on God's right hand. He will one day return.
    8. When Jesus returns, he will raise his "sleeping" followers from death and grant immortality to the faithful who have tried to live by God's precepts.
    9. His followers will help him to rule, bringing justice, righteousness and peace to the whole world - the Kingdom of God.

They pre-date the jws, having been founded in London in 1844. There
    are some differernces between them and the jws, such as not having
    a central organisation on the scale of the watchtower, and most of
    their congregations being autonomous. Some, but by no means the
    majority of Christadelphians discourage their members from associating
    with believers from differrent churches. Their churches, called ecclesia,
    coordinate with each other through their published literature such as
    the Christadelphian Waymark magazine.

http://www.christadelphian.org.uk/

• barry
    barry

Gday Monophonic,

SDAs were Arian and Trinitarian about 1900 and then the official position became Trinitarian. As a result there is still a small sector of Adventists that are still Arian and beleive the same as the WT on this. The Adventists came from different churches as well as some small groups who didnt beleive in the trinity and these same roots effected the WT org.

SDAs dont restrict any holidays and as you rightly pointed out now have women as clergy

Similar to the WT Adventists beleive in soul sleep and use the historicist view of interpreting bible prophecy.

• dontomas
    dontomas

Non-trinitarian Catholics? That's an oxymoron. You can't be a Catholic unless you are a trinitarian. What's up with that?

Don Tomas

• hilannj
    hilannj

That must be why I feel that I would be 'comfortable' in a Catholic Church. :) I think that I wouldn't believe it but sometimes I think it would be so nice and easy to just be told what to do and believe again. All this trying to read my bible and understand it myself, its just plain time consuming. :(

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

All religion is harmful.

It's an obstacle to the clear vision of reality that is available to all of us, within ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit