Religions similar to JWs.

by LtCmd.Lore 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honesty
    Honesty

The World Wide Church of God.

Same Jesus.

Soul Sleep.

The Trinity is pagan.

Work for your salvation instead of being saved by grace through faith.

• Philippus79
    Philippus79

Hi!

A church that springs off from th JW but has developed a much more sophisticated understanding based on the Bible are the "Lords' Witnesses". They also try to discern a grammatical biblecode which seems to make some sense.

A table comparing their doctrines to other major churches (plus JW *gg*) can be found here: http://www.truebiblecode.com/churches.html

Regards,

Philippus

• blondie
    blondie

In my mind, first and foremost, any religion similar to jws has to not believe in the trinity and not in the convoluted way the Mormons do, who believe Jesus is God, but leave the holy spirit out of the equation.

With that as a basis, then it is necessary to look at unitarian religions. Some just don't believe that Jesus is even God's Son.

Non-trinitarian religions

Bible Students (all groups)(as WTS members were known by until 1931)

List of major non-Trinitarian churches

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Trinitarian_churches"

Groups

* Independent affiliates of the Unitarian Universalist Association
  • LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Thank you all, these links are great! They should provide plenty of ammo.

Now, pardon me while I finish reading them...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Keep in mind that anyone who "studies" with Jehovah's Witnesses is kept very busy following the curriculum of the WTB&TS, and that curriculum intends to reveal some information but conceal much more. This is why the WTB&TS is dogmatically opposed to "self-directed" religious inquiry. Ask the wrong questions, and the WTB&TS will throw you out.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Before a radical shake down, the Church of God was very similar to jws . Armstrong(can't recall if it was Ted or Herbert) was often accused of being an apostate. Jws just KNEW no one else had any spiritual enlighten but them. Seems Armstrong knew a few things. His son ran the church into the ground and they officially apologized for their beliefs and now are pretty mainstream, except for a few spin offs.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

The Seventh-Day Adventists, the Millennial Dawnists, and the Mormons all have common ancestry with the Watchtower Society. Once they were all the same denomination. (sorry, I forget which poster said this)

Actually, Mormons were never part of anything else. I don't know about the others.

In my mind, first and foremost, any religion similar to jws has to not believe in the trinity andnot in the convoluted way the Mormons do, who believe Jesus is God, but leave the holy spirit out of the equation. (Blondie)

In fact, Mormons believe in a Godhead comprising three separate entities -- God the Father, his Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost is a major and vital part of daily life to Mormons. He is a teacher, revelator, protector and guide.

SusanHere

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Wow, those christ-a-dolphinists are almost EXACTLY like witnesses.

No trinity

No hell

Death is unconsiousness untill resurrected on earth.

Issue of universal sovereignty. (I could've used that one last Saturday, during the "Why Evil" WT!!!)

I'll have to remember those people! All I have to do is learn how to spell their name.

Lore

• justhuman
    justhuman

There are many. Most similara ara the Mormons

• monophonic
    monophonic

wednesday wrote:

"Before a radical shake down, the Church of God was very similar to jws . Armstrong(can't recall if it was Ted or Herbert) was often accused of being an apostate. Jws just KNEW no one else had any spiritual enlighten but them. Seems Armstrong knew a few things. His son ran the church into the ground and they officially apologized for their beliefs and now are pretty mainstream, except for a few spin offs."

was that the church that apologized for getting 1914 wrong? i didn't know they were still around and had spin off groups. i'll check wikipedia for more info, but would love any other info you have on the church.

just hearing that they apologized felt so refreshing, nothing the governing body would ever do....they always send the 'new light' as a 'get your act together' type message while never accepting responsibility for their 'old light'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit