September 1st 2007 QFR re FDS

by AlphaOmega 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Quandry
    Quandry

I disagree and agree at the same time. I think this is a stepping stone to
    downgrading the anointed to an insignificant or symbolic group.

I don't see how they can back away from this doctrine. For so long the "annointed" have figured into everything. In fact, of course, the entire new testament-sorry-Christian Greek Scriptures-was penned for them, according to the WTS. In fact, they seem to be the mediators instead of Jesus. How do you demote them after this?

I wonder how it was that foresight was used when the WTS was declaring vaccinations as pus, aluminum pans caused death, and the "ancient worthies" would occupy a house in San Diego.

• garybuss
    garybuss

OnTheWayOut, you wrote: I personally think that they are going to put the GB into the place of FDS and exclude the anointed, separating the terms as they have started to do here- anointed who turned out to be not so 'discreet' and the virgins from that group who turned out 'faithful and discreet.'

I think I'm on your team on this one. The anointed were already demoted in the May 1 2007 QFR article.

They might be making room to separating the "other sheep" from the "great crowd" too. There might be two groups in heaven again. The other sheep might be found in heaven again as they previously taught. They've never clearly tied the other sheep to the great crowd.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Gary, while the possible futures discussed here on JWD sound impossible to imagine to the
    rank-and-file, and even to many former rank-and-file, I have already learned how the WTBTS
    keeps totally abandoning former teachings and getting the flock to follow.
    While they lose many (sometimes early on- most of them) along the way, they hope to keep
    surviving when they make changes.

Since the future looks bleak for the thriving organization of the 70's, they have tried various
    ways to keep thriving. Minor success and failure has lead them to see the handwriting on the
    wall. They need to abandon the organization of the 70's. It seems like accountants and lawyers
    are running it all now. They actually make changes before something is unprofitable- firing
    Bethelites, cheapening their product, selling property, distancing themselves (GB) from the
    anointed. We should stop doubting that they will do anything that would cause uproars in the
    organization. We should just expect them to tell the members why they should obey and
    stop considering uproars.

The organization is already unrecognizable from its past. Why not totally abandon "old light" ?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Naughty, naughty.

'Our Lord declared, "The wise shall understand"; and He told us to "Watch" that we might know; and it is this chronology which convinces us (who can and do receive it by faith) that the Parable of the Ten Virgins is now in process of fulfilment--that its first cry was heard in 1844 and its second cry, "Behold the Bridegroom"--present-- was in 1874. It is this chronology and none other which awakened us to trim our lamps, in harmony with the Lord's promise through the Apostle, "Ye brethren are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief."' - ZWT 12/15/1913, Rep. p. 5368 (reproduction of 10/1/1907 article)

'Many Bible students hold that this parable began to have its fulfilment in the Millerite Movement, which in 1844 culminated in a disappointment. For some fourteen years prior to that time a cry had gone forth throughout the Church that the time of the Second Coming of Christ was at hand. History tells us that many noble characters of all denominations believed the Message and, in the strength of their faith, went forth to meet the Bridegroom. But they were disappointed, in that the Bridegroom tarried.

Then all of the "virgins," both wise and foolish, slumbered and slept. A general stupor, uncertainty and drowsiness came over all. Some of them dreamed of strange knockings during that time, too. Later, at midnight, the Bridegroom came apparently, and announcements were made to that effect--"Behold the Bridegroom! Go ye forth to meet Him!" An increasing number of Bible students believe that this latter cry sounded forth just thirty years after the disappointment of the followers of William Miller; namely, in 1874.' - ZWT 8/15/1914, Rep. p. 5522

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

What did Jesus mean when He said his Faithful Slave would be discreet? He meant they wouldn't be 'rumbled' for many years over their indiscretions.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

"acted discreetly-with wisdom and foresight" Translation, they knew that their predictions might fail so they had a backup plan. Much like today, buying property, planning to get people's estates, making predictions vague enough for deniability purposes, that's called "covering one's ass" much as any good business does. So I say that Faithful and Discreet really means shrewd businessmen who cover their asses. Isaac

• garybuss
    garybuss

dis'creet adjective
    1.Marked by, exercising, or showing prudence and wise self-restraint in speech and behavior; circumspect.
    2.Free from ostentation or pretension; modest.

prudence
    pru-dent - adjective
    1. Wise in handling practical matters; exercising good judgment or common sense.
    2. Careful in regard to one's own interests; provident.
    3. Careful about one's conduct; circumspect.

ostentation
    os-ten-ta-tion - noun
    1. Pretentious display meant to impress others; boastful showiness.
    2. Archaic. The act or an instance of showing; an exhibition.

pretension
    pre-ten-sion - noun
    1. A specious allegation; a pretext.
    2. A claim to something, such as a privilege or right. See synonyms at claim.
    3. The advancing of a claim.
    4. Ostentatious display; pretentiousness.

modest
    mod-est - adjective
    1. Having or showing a moderate estimation of one's own talents, abilities, and value.
    2. Having or proceeding from a disinclination to call attention to oneself; retiring or diffident.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

What I really love is how they always point to 1914 as the defining year. THERE WHERE NO MAJOR DIVISIONS WITH THE BIBLE STUDENTS AT THAT TIME!

Most of the division came after the death of Russell, during the years of the Rutherford presidency. The WTS is very clever in getting you to think a 15 year period (1914-late 1920's) is what this parable is talking about! Because all these WT events where 'oh so long ago' the reader doesn't connect it all together.

And why did so many people leave in the mid to late 1920's??? Didn't that have to do with much of the 'human wisdom' that was pushed as divine truth that proved to be oh so wrong? (ummm 1925).

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I agree with OTWO & Gary on this one. I see this article as a stepping stone to making the GB = the FDS (which of course in their minds it already does but the official teaching is that the FDS is all of the annointed). The 5/1/07 was the first major step and this is step 2.

The DC really hammered the FDS over and over more than usual it seems to me. So, I can see that soon, maybe even within the next year or so (complete speculation on my part) they change that particular teaching. I'm sure no one will really care since in the minds of the R&F, the FDS=GB anyway. But, it will open up the door to place non-"annointed" on the GB or at least have them become "annointed" upon their promotion. Its just too hard to groom folks to keep up the charade.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Who has the final say on what is written in the magazines. Is it the writing dept or the Governing Body? Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing / teaching. Are the proof readers checking only for errors / spelling / mistakes / what is going on with these different dept heads. Somebody is sleeping on their watch.

The video showed how the Governing Body oversees every article written in the Watchtower and Awake magazines. I doubt that very much.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit