WTS hasn't corrected mistakes in NWT on John 20:28.....

by A-Team 212 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 5go
    5go
    (supplied in this thread by 5go, Thank you)

I wouldn't did you read it.

The pope said he felt hell is just not being with god in the afterlife, heaven is being with god in the afterlife. He really didn't change anything.

According to an official Vatican transcript of the pope's speech, Pope John Paul II noted that the Scriptural references to hell and the images portrayed by Scripture are only symbolic and figurative of "the complete frustration and emptiness of life without God. " He added, "Rather than a physical place, hell is the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy." He said hell is "a condition resulting from attitudes and actions which people adopt in this life." Concerning the concept of eternal damnation, the pope said, "Damnation consists precisely in definitive separation from God, freely chosen by the human person, and confirmed with death that seals his choice for ever." The pope also added, "The thought of hell and even less the improper use of biblical images must not create anxiety or despair." Rather, he stated, it is a reminder of the freedom found in Christ.

That is a far cry from saying the witnesses were right. In fact it he pointed out the scriptures point to a firey hell. He then said well it is symbolic of being without god.

Pope John Paul II noted that the Scriptural references to hell and the images portrayed by Scripture are only symbolic and figurative of "the complete frustration and emptiness of life without God.
  • 5go
    5go
    Catholics and Protestants apparently don't read their bibles and don't read front page major doctrinal pronouncements. I like to point things out to people.

I think there are a few Catholic and Protestant exjw's that would take offence to that. I'm an atheist jw so I could care less.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Of course JWs would not be a concern as they quietly alter their bibles suspiciously in the JWs direction.They probably hope nobody notices. They would never give JWs credit for saying it first. Catholics and Protestants apparently don't read their bibles and don't read front page major doctrinal pronouncements. I like to point things out to people.

There are Catholics who shed tears at the thought of the "Ever Virgin". I like to point out to them that if they open their bible they will discover that Mary had about 9 kids. She had sex.

It's the iconoclast in me. But someone has to tell people the truth eventually.

You didn't get my point. Apparently you do not fully realise that Protestantism has been pointing this out to the Catholics for nearly 5 centuries, that is, about 4 centuries before JWs came up. And that in this respect they are no different from (the rest of) Protestantism.

Maybe you have heard about if from JWs, and so you believe it is a particular JW doctrine. But this is an optical illusion due to your JW-centered perspective.

I got lost in Romans 10 (NWT). What was the mistranslation there?

You can only get lost in this passage with the NWT. Read it in any other Bible. Then ask yourself: What is the point of quoting Joel in v. 13? (Answer: the sentence "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" is the scriptural proof -- note the introductory "for" -- of the point Paul has just been trying to make, namely that all those who confess Jesus as Lord will be saved, v. 8-12). Now substitute "Jehovah" to "Lord" as the NWT does and the reasoning doesn't make any sense.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Oh Boy!

I wish I could debate like you all do on this subject.

Keep it going but find another subject just as interesting.

Thanks for the enlightenment .

Edmond.

• Wayne L
    Wayne L

Hi 5go. You're right. The Pope's statement is a far cry from JWs. But you have to admit it's also a far cry from the literal "fire and brimstono" that billions have been tormented with for centuries. F & B is still preached today, despite it slowly disappearing from bibles. Many bibles have replaced Hell with the original words, admitting that Hell does not fit.

There is so much disagreement among writers about Hell in the bible that JWs could be as right as anyone else. As for Hell and the lake of fire, I gave up on Revelations years ago. Having pored over a couple dozen versions over the years, dissected word by word, I found that there is unanimous disagreement about Rev. No two agree. It makes my head spin. And I don't think JWs have a clue about Rev. Wayne

• Wayne L
    Wayne L

There are a few NT places where God and Jesus are confused because they are both called Lord or God in the same passage. Could this be one of them? Maybe my powers of concentration aren't what they used to be, but it seems to make no difference whether Jesus is meant here or Jehovah.

Joel 3:5 does have Jehovah, and there seems to be some evidence that some early versions had Jehovah at Rom 10:13. I have a couple Jewish NTs somewhere so I will see what they have here.

Are there any other OT quotes that you know of in which Jehovah was replaced with Jesus? Wayne (PS - Does anyone know how to reverse the order of these treads?)

• Wayne L
    Wayne L

There are a few NT places where God and Jesus are confused because they are both called Lord or God in the same passage. Could this be one of them? Maybe my powers of concentration aren't what they used to be, but it seems to make no difference whether Jesus is meant here or Jehovah.

Joel 3:5 does have Jehovah, and there seems to be some evidence that some early versions had Jehovah at Rom 10:13. I have a couple Jewish NTs somewhere so I will see what they have here.

Are there any other OT quotes that you know of in which Jehovah was replaced with the meaning of Jesus? Wayne (PS - Does anyone know how to reverse the order of these treads?)

• Wayne L
    Wayne L

Hello Edmond. Why don't you pick a topic? Is that your real last name? How fitting! Wayne

• 5go
    5go

Hell

Excuse me but being a armchair scholar you do know where the english word hel(Opps ! mispelled it I meant hell ) originates. When you know what hades is, the proto christian pergutory. You can then see why the pope said what he said in 1999.

[edit] Words translated Hell

Sheol
    In the King James Bible, the Old Testament term sheol is translated as hell 31 times. [9] However Sheol was translated as "grave" 31 times. [10] Sheol is also translated as pit three times. [11]

Gehenna
    In the New Testament of the KJV, Gehenna is always translated as Hell [12]

Hades
    The KJV translates Hades as Hell 10 times, [13] and as grave once. [14] Hades is traditionally the Greek word used to mean sheol.

Tartarus
    The KJV translates tartarus, which appears only in II Pet. 2:4, as Hell.

Infernus
    The Latin word infernus means "being underneath" and is often translated as "Hell."

Another problem arises in the context of the sentence.

Example: The bass swam down stream. The bass player sucked.

• Wayne L
    Wayne L

5go, Thanks again for telling me stuff I forgot years ago. You will save me having to run to my Strong's Concordance and my 50 English Bibles and my well over 1000 book library. You are a timesaver. Wayne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit