WTS hasn't corrected mistakes in NWT on John 20:28.....

by A-Team 212 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A-Team
    A-Team

NWT Scriptures: John 20:28-29

28 In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him: “Because you have seen me have you believed? Happy are those who do not see and yet believe.

Isa 9:6

6 For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

1 John 5:20

20 But we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us intellectual capacity that we may gain the knowledge of the true one. And we are in union with the true one, by means of his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and life everlasting

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

They haven't corrected it because they don't feel the need to. They're able to convince most witnesses that Thomas was using an exclamation of surprise, he wasn't really referring to Jesus as his God. I know this because that was the answer I got when I brought it up to an elder during a shepherding call.

• A-Team
    A-Team

......yea, crappy excuse. What bout Isiah 9:6. I also am understanding this....God means Jehovah exclusively to JWS, In the Hebrew, it dosen't mean that.

• Gopher
    Gopher

What did Ted Jaracz say when the Devil suddenly appeared in his room?

"Oh my GOD!!"

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Gopher Ted acutally said oh my god is that you Rutherford???

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Gopher Ted acutally said oh my god is that you Rutherford???

• heathen
    heathen

There are other places in the new testament where it does use the phrase , Jesus God , with a capital G . The WTBTS does have people brainwashed to believe it improper to use it that way. It doesn't mean a trinity , there's a difference between being Mighty God as mentioned in Isaiah 9:6 and being the Almighty God YHVH who is the sovereign lord .

• Frank75
    Frank75
    there's a difference between being Mighty God as mentioned in Isaiah 9:6 and being the Almighty God YHVH who is the sovereign lord

Just being the Devils advocate here.

If Jesus is a mighty God and Jehovah is Almighty, then who is the Mighty God being referred to in Isaiah 10?

(Isaiah 10:21) A mere remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the Mighty God.

(Hint- go back one verse to 20)

Frank75

• Frank75
    Frank75
    Almighty God YHVH who is the sovereign lord

Ah, just me again the devils advocate guy. If Jehovah is Lord and Jesus is King of kings and Lord of Lords, then who is the one Lord in Ephesians?

(Ephesians 4:5) 5 one Lord, . . .

Not trying to hijack the thread, I just don't agree with the dogmatism when there are valid arguments on both sides of the deity and Trinity debate.

Frank75

• glenster
    glenster

^I think the mainstream view is that Jesus was incorporated into a Christian version of the "one God and one Lord" Shema, probably not how you'd say "archangel Michael." Thomas gave Jesus the full treatment at John 20:28. In 1st cent. Jewish monotheism, worship, prayer, and the Shema were among the main ways they showed belief in one God.

One of the ones I usually think of and don't see brought up as much isn't by John or Paul but Luke, at Acts 6,7. What's with Stephen if he thought Jesus was archangel Michael? He goes through a trial of the Sanhedrin, is harassed across town, makes a big speech about his beliefs, and is stoned to death for blasphemy (disbelief in the mainstream view--they didn't execute you for claiming to see an angel). All he had to do to call it off is say he just meant "achangel Michael." He's supposed to be a martyr, not a suicide. Then he ends his speech with a prayer to Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit