Just reviewing my years of non-appointment as an elder.

by AK - Jeff 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mum
    Mum

Drew Sagan's recent account of how the elders handled his JC meeting shows that what you say is very true. He thought one elder was going to be honest and stick up for what was right, but when the JC meeting got underway, that elder betrayed him. So its 3 against 1, so there's no "winning" with these people. I have seen arrogant priests and clergy, but the JW elders have mental illness, narcissism, intense pressure to be loyal to the organization regardless of right or wrong, and downright ignorance to throw into the toxic mix.

Been there,

SandraC

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

AK-Jeff..Cool story..I was told I would make a good elder when I came of age..I told them I was`nt interested..LOL!!..I saw how they really were,as a kid..The good guys always were held back..The ass kissers had very little moral fibre.They did well in the WBT$...OUTLAW

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

AK-Jeff:

Your story is one I have heard before. Unfortunately, it is all about yes-men and politics and very little about bible principles. And, yes, it is true that a "company man" will betray you and his principles. In every congregation the younger elders rubber stamp anything the older, more established elders say and do.

LHG

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

My ex-hubby never even got to run the microphone, much-less become one of the "glorious ones".

While a dub, this was an embarrassment to me, wives of non-elder husbands get no respect at all. And people always assume something's wrong with you.

Now I'm proud of him, he's still an arsehole, but I'm glad he never buckled under the pressure to become one of the good ole boys.

Hats off to you AK, they bent you but they didn't break you, your just to sane and well adjusted to be elder material.

I'm a good follower though, if I had been born with a penis, I'm sure I would have been elder material during the time I was a believer.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I'm a good follower though, if I had been born with a penis, I'm sure I would have been elder material during the time I was a believer.

They have surgery for that, aSinaC.

Jeff

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Great stuff, AK-J, but believe you me, you missed out on nothing by not being an elder in the WT system. I had the misfortune to be one for ten years, and it was the single feature that eventually led to my being disillusioned. As long as I was among the faceless R&F, I actually enjoyed being one of the "gang". But becoming an elder opened my eyes in ways no other action would have.

The role of the elder within the WT Imperium is a curious one. Despite the posturing about like attenuated peacocks that many elders effect, and despite the sprouting of suitably obtuse phrases, evidently done to impress the impressionable, the role of the WT elder is no more than that of being theological eunuchs.Incapable of even the most basic of individual enterprise, unschooled in the rigours of biblical ideology and debate, and totally ignorant of the disciplines required for competence in such research, their only function is that of being castrated mouthpieces echoing, with varying degrees of fanaticism, the interminable stream of directives emanating from WT HQ. No thinking is required, because these directives are not designed for thinking out or meditating on, they are simply to be obeyed. The WT does not give its coteries enough information to think, it simply gives them enough to be obeyed.

In this respect, the WTS resembles not so much a religion, as it does an instrument of power. A power that is exercised from a centralized point of Absolute Authority, and delegated, through articulated links of command, to willing acolytes all along the power structure. The trick in being a successful elder is not intelligence, for this is a potential threat to the Centralized Authority, since they have none,but the trick in in giving credence to the Unspoken Rule. This Centralized Authority is to be regarded as both, Unquestioned and Unquestionable. They are elitist, secretive, and self perpetuating, which means that no one within the orbit of this power structure has any influence on who or how this Centralized Authority is constructed.

To parse a couplet born of equally dictatorial systems, "When the GB tells you to jump, you don't ask "why" you ask "how high" "

One of the stratagems employed by this Centralized Authority to ensure their survival at the top, is assessing the subservience of the potential elder. In this respect, you obviously did not understand the abject inferiority of your position. You did not abase yourself, kiss the ring, or tug the forelock. Most dangerous of all, you were literate enough to use your mind.

But the brutal truth is that it is better to be free and theologically virile on the outside, than to be a eunuch in the house of patent evil.

Cheers

• Marcel
    Marcel

hey AK-Jeff,

do you know what my still functioning JW mind tells me IMMEDIATELY when i read your post?

i tell you: "hes angry about not getting appointed as an elder and thats why he left the truth and became an apostate. the elders guided through the holy spirit saw that lack of love and humbleness before and thats why they didnt appoint him at all."

and i bet thats the thing your whole ex-congregation thinks. isnt it sad?
    im sorry for my JW mind. :/

marcel

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    The role of the elder within the WT Imperium is a curious one. Despite the posturing about like attenuated peacocks that many elders effect, and despite the sprouting of suitably obtuse phrases, evidently done to impress the impressionable, the role of the WT elder is no more than that of being theological eunuchs.Incapable of even the most basic of individual enterprise, unschooled in the rigours of biblical ideology and debate, and totally ignorant of the disciplines required for competence in such research, their only function is that of being castrated mouthpieces echoing, with varying degrees of fanaticism, the interminable stream of directives emanating from WT HQ. No thinking is required, because these directives are not designed for thinking out or meditating on, they are simply to be obeyed. The WT does not give its coteries enough information to think, it simply gives them enough to be obeyed.

Moogy - I just had to c&p this portion, as it is the absolute truth IMO, as truth I did not, and could not have recognized while cloaked in the garb of the Witless r&f.

i tell you: "hes angry about not getting appointed as an elder and thats why he left the truth and became an apostate. the elders guided through the holy spirit saw that lack of love and humbleness before and thats why they didnt appoint him at all."

Marcel - I know as a fact that you have hit this nail squarely. On the only visit I got from the elders [a single elder] in the three years after a I left and before I DA'd - that elder implied precisely that. He said something to the effect, though we were not talking of the matter at all;

"Jeff, I want you to know that some of us supported your being made an elder, and voted that way many times. I know you are disappointed that the appointment never happened."

This was injected into the middle of a conversation in which I was fleshing out the WTS's spiritual fornication by attachment for 10 years to the United Nations Beast. I think he was running in his mind the whole thing and trying to finger my reason for leaving to such shallowness, while ignoring the depth and implication of his religion's hypocricy. He was discussing hangnails, I was discussing lethal injection.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Even on JWD, an elder is viewed in contradictory terms. An ex-elder can read questions from
    posters who want to know from those who were "on the inside" and were able to advance in
    the organization. You can read in some of the threads how ex-elders get praise for being able
    to step away from the nonsense.

You also get the comments and threads that "these guys are idiots" who are uncaring and
    should have known better than others.

So Jeff, we aspired to what disgusts us now. Being an elder was a worthwhile goal in an
    unworthwhile organization.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

OTWO - well stated.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit