Just reviewing my years of non-appointment as an elder.

by AK - Jeff 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I had 'reached out' to be an elder for a decade before I finally understood the reasons why I was not, nor would I ever be one.

Each visit of the CO, my name was on the list of discussion. I know this because I was told by both CO's and local elders. The vote was always close, sometimes I missed the cut due to 'low hours' on the part of my wife or daughter, othertimes due to some variation in the way the WTS was looking at particular 'requirements'. But, I knew when it finally became clear, the real reason.

It was late 90's, and our congregation had a newly appointed CO visit. This cocky little bastard was the only one who ever 'clued me in' to the reality. It was a cold winter day. We were working in service in town, and I could tell he wanted to 'give me the news'. He did. He took me aside and told me that once again I had not been 'recommended' as elder. [I later found out that the vote was unanimous to make the appointment, and that the CO had 'overruled' the body decision.] But the floodgates of reality finally streamed in with that conversation.

He asked me, 'Jeff, what do you think is the primary qualification to be appointed an elder?' My answer revealed my insane misunderstanding of the way the organization really worked, though by this point I had been a baptized Jw for 25 years or longer. I answered 'Love of the brothers - that is the only reason I am interested in it at all.' He looked at me like I was clueless [and I was I guess] and said, 'While that is important, the key ingredient to a good elder is cooperation with the body of elders - unity.'

HE WAS TELLING ME THAT I WAS NOT A TEAM PLAYER, A COMPANY MAN!

Up to that point, I really believed the organization put the Bible out ahead of the boardroom. I know that was naive, but I really believed it to be true in this important aspect. In fact, after every rejection, and this went on for years, I would go back an look at the qualifications listed in Titus and Timothy, looking for my failure to meet them. Though I would occasionally dig out the Watchtowers that dealt with the matter, I did not believe that the Watchtower should override the Bible, and in my mind I never let it. So I kept striving to meet qualifications that the organization did not give a rat's patooy about - they wanted a yes man - and I was not that. Admittedly, I never was, never tried to be the Yes man.

Retrospectively, I realize now how frustrated I would have been in that inner circle. I would not have lasted long. I don't kiss ass well , if at all. And in the frame of mind I had at that point [overzealous and outspoken if I felt the Bible was being trampled upon], I would not have lasted long. I never wanted the 'glory', what little there is of that, that comes from prominence in the Jw sense of the word. And I know now, that justice misapplied to which I would have been privy, would have torn me apart. My voice would have been silenced by the body of elders quickly. Likely I would have been an elder only a short time. And that time would have been more frustating to me than the effort was to get there.

Looking back, this became a watershed moment for me. I realized just how man-made the organization was at that point. It was all a game of smoke and mirrors and corporate jockeying for position. It had nothing to do with shepherding the flock in love. It was a worthy realization, though painful at the time. I am glad it happened that way. It aided my eventual release from the mental prison of the Watchtower, though this was not the primary factor.

Jeff

• Gill
    Gill

AK - Jeff - I loved that story! I'm sorry you were so frustrated with not being appointed Elder at that time BUT in the end, isn't it the total lack of love in the Organization that frees so many of us from its chains?

Both my husband and self were brought up in the Org. All our families were in the Organization. BUT, my husband never, ever attempted to become and MS or Elder. By 22 he was refusing to give talks, take prayers or read in the group. I was thoroughly ashamed of him, but when we talked about this he would just say 'It's all rubbish!' and refuse to discuss it furthur. I loved him and he loved me. I never 'dished the dirt' on him that he was not a believer and he kept me happy by going to meetings with me etc. By 30 he was refusing to go out in FS. Elders would interrogate me and I would just say, 'he doesn't want to' and that was that.

Finally, five years ago we both faded from the bOrg and I discovered for myself that I had been conned. My husband had never been conned. He always saw it for the BS that it was and I had been the fool who had thought him stupid! It was me who was stupid.

A few weeks ago I asked him why he had never wanted to be an MS or Elder. He simply said, 'I never aspired to be an arsehole!'

I finally see the bOrg and those who are mentally trapped in it for what they are because of him. I know what a fool I was ( and some say still am).

At least you were never an ' officially sanctioned arsehole!' In the end, that is all it is. People in a fantasy world, ruling over eachother and beating eachother with the Watchtower whip!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jeff,

While you were a captive of the false concept of this being God's organization like the rest of us, I see clearly
    after being an elder what was reality. Elders were those that learned to unquestioningly do as they were told.
    If they had a problem, they learned not to voice it. They were those that were more able to hold conflicting
    doctrines and instructions and double standards up to the light and see everything as fine.

The seemingly unbalanced publisher who had overtime at work or took weekends off from service and missed
    meetings for a family function or because he got tickets to a concert or went to a niece's recital- that brother was
    really much better balanced than the dedicated elders.

The brother who went through the motions of doing everything for Jehovah, but would refuse to stay quiet when he
    saw something out of place, or he asked questions when the BOE wanted a congregation vote on something, or he
    chose the actual personal decision on issues that he wanted to choose instead of the company desired personal
    decision (like going to college or having children, allowing the "worldly" child to stay at home) - that guy was
    more balanced than the elders. I was almost that guy. Too bad I swallowed my independence.

You were much better off being overlooked.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    The brother who went through the motions of doing everything for Jehovah, but would refuse to stay quiet when he
    saw something out of place, or he asked questions when the BOE wanted a congregation vote on something, or he
    chose the actual personal decision on issues that he wanted to choose instead of the company desired personal
    decision (like going to college or having children, allowing the "worldly" child to stay at home) - that guy was
    more balanced than the elders.

OTWO - That brother you mention here, that was me. I tried to 'balance' personal decision and the 'truth', but the scales were always tipped away from my being 'theocratic' in the eyes of the elders I suppose.

Funny you should mention it - but my loud objection during the 'comments' portion of the discussions to build a new hall that we did not need [but that I now know was part of the Society's real estate holdings scam] - make me look like a 'black sheep' to many. I kept coming up with workable solutions to the so called 'problems', but of course the company congregation paid no heed and instead built an expensive edifice that to this day does not have all the seats filled [20 yrs later]. I wondered then how many others wanted to speak up, but had their kohones removed by the Brooklyn method.

Jeff

• minimus
    minimus

Jeff! Here's what I have seen......You can't be a maverick elder and stay on happily. Elders are politicians. Some, like POs are better than others. But it's a BOY'S CLUB mentality. It's like a brotherhood of cops. EVEN if they're wrong, you gotta support your own.

• startingover
    startingover

Great story Jeff! That CO really nailed it on the head.

My father was a Gilead grad who always held a high position in the organization. Growing up with that, over the years I overheard enough stories to get an idea how things worked. So as I grew up and when I was appointed an MS, I always had in the back of my mind all those things I had heard over the years. And I am not much of a yes man.

As time went by, I watched as fellow MS's moved their way up to elder. In a couple of cases it was all too obvious when they became elders shortly after they changed congregations, a congregation where they had a buddy that was an elder, that who you know played a big part in scheme of things just like it is everywhere else in the world.

A defining moment for me was being invited to the MS school. The eye opening thing for me was when a fellow MS got up at the end and read a letter praising the organization for providing such a wonderful arrangement. Did he write that letter? I don't know when he would have had time to if he did. If he didn't who did? I came to the conclusion that it probably came from the GB themselves, praising themselves. From that point on things weren't the same for me. It took some years after that to see through the fog, but that was a defining moment for me.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Be honest now; you didn't have two wives, didya?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

One CO who I was friendly with told me that if I wanted to be an MS I needed to move to a congregation where the elders were not prejudiced toward overweight people. He proceeded to give me a list of other congregations in his circuit where the elders would not take issue with my gut.

W

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    'While that is important, the key ingredient to a good elder is cooperation with the body of elders - unity.'

I saw this happen with an elder from my congo. Great man, I even did a thread about it here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/87924/1.ashx

Basically, he quite being a yes man, and when he was deleted as an elder, I had more respect for him than ever.

purps

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Basically, he quite being a yes man, and when he was deleted as an elder, I had more respect for him than ever.

purps

Though I was only a MS [but for many many years], I would have some publishers seek me out for an understanding ear that they could never get from the elders. One such case involved a sister that I knew and loved like a true 'sister'. She was special to me - and for those doubters out there - to my wife also. She was going thru a hellish marriage, having elected that marriage to 'at least a Ministerial Servant' was important to her. She was enduring abuse on several levels and was very unhappy. She separated from him and the elders would not even listen to her side of the story - telling her to just go back and 'work it out with your Head'. So I [and Wifey at times] became her sounding box.

The result? For her some relief. For me? An accusation that I was 'promoting a situation that could lead to fornication'. I think I was respected for 'loving the brothers' - by most everyone except the brothers that wore the elder tag.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit