Anyone else have an aversion to singing?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 15 Replies latest jw friends

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I was reading the threads http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/129051/1.ashx (Remember the song make the truth your own?) and http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/136242/1.ashx (The messages are always there), and was reminded that I had been intending to post something along these lines before and never got around to it. NOTE: I was raised in the WCG (Armstrong), not a JW, but I've found they're similar in many ways, and I believe this to be another one:

I can still recall as a kid, having to sing at church services and other meetings, and hating it. For one thing, my natural talent (or more properly, the lack thereof) is not good in this department. I hated the sound of my own voice when singing, could tell I wasn't on key or whatever, but couldn't do a damn thing about it. For another thing, the more I started to question the beliefs I was raised with, the less I could stomach actually singing those damn syrupy lyrics, it was like lying. I even recall one sermon where the elder or deacon berated everbody for not singing loud enough, and cited some passage from the bible or the literature where we were supposed to "make a joyful noise". Guilt and paranoia made me think he was talking directly to/about me.

It was around that time that I started just not singing, or sometimes mouthing the words to fake it, if I felt like I was being watched by someone, or even substituting my own words-usually naughty things that would have gotten me beaten soundly had anyone actually heard them. After reading the threads that I linked to above, I realized I was not alone in this! Quite a revelation to me. Now I'm wondering, is it just me...or do any of you also have an aversion to singing ANYTHING now? There are few circumstances where it comes into play, but I dislike singing for any reason at all, now. Years ago I had a girlfriend who loved karaoke, and I had to be VERY drunk before she could talk me into it, but occasionally I'd let her so as not to hurt her feelings...hating it all the while.

After reading those threads, I searched the net and found a link to the songs we used to have to sing. It was amazing to me how the words popped into my head as soon as I heard the piano music, I felt like one of Pavlov's dogs. Not just the words either, many other memories. Ugh. I also found some links to cult exit material, which explained how Armstrong changed the words of traditional Christian hymns to suit WCG doctrine, and erase any reference that could be cited to validate the trinity, or mention things like 'holy ghost'. That was something I wasn't even aware of before, but should have come as no surprise.

Worldwide Church of God's "Bible Hymnal"

http://www.cog21.org/hymnal/hymnal.html

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Oh God, no!!! I can't carry a tune---but I still love to sing, and I always wished I could sound better, but never let it stop me, even though my kids would get after me about it, but I'd carry right on!

Being raised in the '50's, my mom and dad listened to a radio station which played a lot of '40's music, so I was exposed to that and then every day after school, I'd come home and watch American Bandstand, and loved the '50's rock and roll. Then as a teen in the mid-'60's there was Motown and all their great music, and as the years went by, there was such great music and there is always a tune popping into my head, and I will break out in a song at home, or in the shower, (which really makes you sound good) and when I'm out, I sing under my breath. I also like some Broadway tunes which swim around in my head.

And I have to admit, some (not many) of the "Kingdom" melodies give me a chill--especially ones from the Psalms about dwelling in the house/temple of God.

• brinjen
    brinjen

YES!!

I could never sing those kingdumb melodies, I always 'mouthed' the words. Even today, I won't let anybody hear me sing - ever. It reminds me too much of those f--king meetings. Besides, my voice sounds like the choir of a thousand cats being strangled...

• kwr
    kwr

I don't have an aversion to MY singing. It is the people around me that plug their ears when I sing that do. ;-)

• brinjen
    brinjen
    I don't have an aversion to MY singing. It is the people around me that plug their ears when I sing that do. ;-)

Good one! LOL

• free2think
    free2think

I used to mime (sp?) along to the songs, it was easy to do as my dad sang very loudly. When i did try to make a noise, i mean sing lol, i always seemed to be off key so I gave up and went back to mouthing the words again.

• changeling
    changeling

Sorry to dissapoint, I loved singing Kingdom Melodies.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

One thing I hated about the songs is their incessant use of improper contractiions (giv'n instead of given and heav'n instead of heaven) that are not only grossly incorrect and embarrassing to utter out loud, but also completely unnecessary.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I hate singing.

Acctually I hate it when other people sing too.

Most of my music is orchestrated.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I like to sing but singing in a Kingdumb hall is being brainwashed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit