Packing ?

by rwagoner 24 Replies latest social physical

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

I'm just curious - do you guys find you need to use your guns often? Do you live in spooky neighborhoods?

• eclipse
    eclipse

Ooohh, good question, brunnhilde.

Have any of the above poasters who are gun owners ever had to shoot an intruder / mugger / other criminal?

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

To answer eclipse and brunnhilde,

No, I have never needed to use deadly force and I hope I am never in that position. I have unholstered my weapon a couple of times over the years when threatened. I don't think carrying a weapon should depend on your location or neighborhood. For me it is about accepting some responsibility for my safety and that of my family.

When I am asked why I carry a weapon my answer is...because it is too heavy to carry a cop. In my semi-rural area we have 1 Police Officer for about every 4000 people. To me that means that there may not be one readily available if I ever need one in a hurry. Like most people take care of myself and my family by being prepared for natural disasters, big storms, roadside breakdowns,etc. For me, being legally armed is simply being prepared for physical threats, violent crime, etc.

I started carrying because I worked in Law Enforcement (non-sworn/E911 Communication Officer) and regularly came into contact with unsavory people who knew where I worked. where I lived, where my wife worked, where my kids went to play. My wife is also an Officer of the Court (she is a Bail Commissioner) and carries large amounts of cash when people pay their bail in the middle of the night. I support qualified law abiding citizens carrying concealed because most of the bad guys nowdays are armed and don't even try to hide it. In my day people settled disagreements with a few insults and some pushng and shoving, now they shoot before you can even tell then how ugly there mother is.

I don't want to create visions of old west type gunslingers here, I am not out patrolling the streets looking for bad guys, in fact because I carry I think that I am more careful NOT to put myself into situations of danger. The fact is that if we were to meet on the street you would never know that I was armed...thus the term concealed.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Hi rwagoner,

Great to see you post again!

I'm with you on this. My concealed carry permit is put to use occasionally. The "pieces" I have are small enough to fit in the fron pocket of my jeans. Both S & W's. One is a .380 semi (Model 380) and the other is a 38 Special +p snub nose featherweight.

Never had to and hope I never have to use it.

HappyDad

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

bttt

• POs Son
    POs Son

I carry often, usually a .32 or a .380. I choose to carry because I may have only one chance to protect my family in case of an attack. Mind you, I am not a gun-toting wacko! To obtain a permit in my state, one must complete basic firearms safety training, pass a criminal, mental health and local background check, and keep out of all legal trouble. A pistol permit around here is almost like a "good guy" ID card. It guarantees that the person has not been hospitalized for mental health issues, has no felony convictions, no major misdemeanor convictions, no domestic violence issues, and meets the minimum acceptable criteria set by a local police chief.

My mother, a JW, feels that she would rather die at the hands of a rapist/burglar/criminal than have blood on her hands. That is fine, but I have two little girls, and I will gladly take a criminal life to protect their innocence.

No, again, I am not a nut. I do not claim that my handgun will protect the nation from the Democrats. I do not believe that I am a cop. I wear a seat belt in the car, I have smoke detectors in my house, and a first aid kit. I carry a gun to help in a criminal attack just as I use other tools to manage a car crash, fire or injury.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

PO's Son,

I agree totally on the "Good Guy ID Card" point. The process is extensive and I have no problem with that. The biggest problem is all of the people out there who ignore the laws in the first place and put others at risk. Most CCW Permit holders ard not wackos or cop wannabees. We're just responsible citizens and most of the LEO's that I know support qualified, law abiding citizens legally carrying concealed.

We sound a lot alike but are you sure about not being protected from the Democrats ? Now I'm starting to worry. KIDDING...I'M KIDDING !!! LOL

Randy W.

• Honesty
    Honesty

My weapon of choice is....

• juni
    juni

Welcome back rwagoner! Happy to hear you're feeling better.

Juni ~~~ not a gun owner (for certain reasons none of which is criminal) though my handle is "siggal" . I would LOVE to go to a shooting range though. Target practice looks like it would be fun.

• caligirl
    caligirl

"I do not claim that my handgun will protect the nation from the Democrats." LOL, POs Son!! I WISH it were that easY!

Hey RW, glad to see you back.

No, I don't have a gun, but I do have a husband with a black belt in martial arts, which works fine for me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit