What was your WORST Field Service encounter???

by TheCoolerKing 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Zombie thread!

• kjg132
    kjg132

I was 5 and was bit by a dog that had puppies to protect. I had to go get a shot and it was referred to as the "dog bite house" after that. I grew up with a severe phobia of dogs that carried into my adult years.

• Ding
    Ding
    What would happen if someone was seriously injured or kidnapped or killed while in FS? Is there any liability for the WTBS?

I'm not sure how a court would view it, but you would have a battle on your hands.

I'm sure the WTS would disclaim any responsibility.

After all, you're just a volunteer, right?

I think your best bet would be to stress that (1) they tell you that you have to do field service in order to be approved to survive Armageddon, (2) field service involves placing their literature and trying to bring people into their organization, (3) they have training sessions to teach you how to do it, (4) if you don't do it, the elders get on you to increase your hours, and (5) they have service meetings, territories, and written field service reports to make sure the work is coordinated.

• sd-7
    sd-7

You know, I always figured there could be danger in the recruitment work. The worst that ever happened to me was getting bitten by a dog--it was rather small, and it jumped up and nipped my hand hard enough to break the skin. Otherwise, nothing else really comes to mind.

--sd-7

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Once out on service with my mother we called on this lady who had showed interest to the mags, she invited us in and we sat to chit chat some more about the truth.

What we didn't know was that she had invited members of her church and her Pastor to have a surprise attack on us while we visited her. It was unnerving to think you're alone with someone and then all of sudden ten of her church homies appear from the bedrooms. Nothing scary happened but we knew right then that we'd been set up to argue about the bible and would never call on her again. Who knows the next time they might have tried something crazy.

Oh and the dogs, so many on service- I should've received some sort of medal for my dog encounters. We all should have, and the door slams- I still can't get over how harsh some people were. Even if they visit me now I don't think I'd have the heart to slam the door on some poor kid, that's a wee bit traumatic.

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

Been bit by dogs, threatened with guns, shot at by N. California marijuana growers, same as many others. Verbally assaulted regularly.

But one that came to mind was not an experience of mine, but of my first serious girlfriend when I was active.

Her family lived about an hour and a half drive south of San Francisco at the time in a relatively rural area. She and her father went out in service about 45 minutes from their home. Her father was a real nice guy, great father to his family, but was kind of absent minded. I got along really well with him, and the mom.

After they had been out for a while, and they had been working separately, he decided that it was time to head home, and left her in the territory. And as she explained to me it was not that great of an area. This was before cell phones were common and she said that she was there alone for about 2 hours. She really stood out in the area that she was in, she was a blonde Swede wandering the streets in a migrant farming area.

When her father arrived back home, the revelation hit him, no doubt by his wife, that he had left something important in the territory. He raced back and quickly located her, a little bleary, but unharmed. After a couple of years passed they were able to laugh it off.

I think about her often, though I have not spoken to her in years. She still lives in the same area, though on the coast, not far from San Simeon.

It is amazing what memories some unrelated topics can bring back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit