What was your WORST Field Service encounter???

by TheCoolerKing 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• Threestars
    Threestars

A woman pulled a shotgun and threatened my Dad and me when I was about 9. To give her credit I think she was just totally frustrated because had had his foot in the door and wouldn't shut up or leave--she had started out by smiling and saying she wasn't interested.

A dog attacked me in a rural territory when I was 11--went for the throat but got my coat collar and ripped it all down the front instead. Lovely. I'm terrified of dogs to this day.

• blondie
    blondie

Oooh, I forgot about dog/geese stories.

Story heard from another jw at the KH:

A jw showed up for field service and was invited on by another to visit someone he had called on before. Wondering after seeing the "BEWARE OF DOG" sign on the gate, the jw asked the second jw, "Is the dog dangerous."

The other jw said, "No, I've been here many times before, the dog is not dangerous."

As they walked in, a Doberman flew around the house corner and clamped down on the left wrist of the first jw's arm, the suit sleeve protecting him for the moment. The first jw was frozen.

A man came around the corner and called the dog off, saying, "He isn't used to strangers."

Second jw, "But I've been here many times before and he never attacked."

The man said, "New dog."

Moral of story: If it is not your "return visit" and you see a "beware of dog" sign, let the other guy go in and test the waters first.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

First time ever to take a door in service. I was 10 years old.

The householder was a huge old bald angry looking guy, who told me if I ever came back to his door that he'd get a gun and shoot me.

Five years later, he was my Computer Sciences teacher in high school. At one point he asked me if I'd be interested in babysitting his kids - I was still kind of scared of him and thought it might be a trick to get me back at his house so he could shoot me. It turned out that he didn't remember me, but I sure remembered him.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think this is worse than all the persecution: One day, I went in on a call. The guy was disgustingly ugly, and he had a mayonnaise jar with about 2" of blood in it. About every 30 seconds, he would spit another bit of blood into that jar. And to think they had the nerve to get me into that call! I have washed dishes and seen some filthy dishrooms, but this was enough to make me want to puke.

Other horrible experiences in service were associated with filthy dwellings, ugly people (one of whom had at least half a dozen prescription drugs sitting on the kitchen table), chairs that were blatantly unsafe to sit in (wobbly), excessive heat, people smoking in the place during the call, having to waste a good hour or more after I was supposed to have gone in, and calls that just plain would not end. I hated those kinds of calls, and would hope that the person was either not home or not interested.

• Crafty Lady
    Crafty Lady

A man told us that if we didn't leave his property immediately, he'd get his gun and shoot us. He was so angry--it was scary. Sad thing is, later in the safety of the car we felt a little validated for being "persecuted."

• aarque
    aarque

When the "witless" in charge of the service group sent me, about 12 years old, and another young girl, about 16 years old, into a rooming house full of men, then when we left, asked if we knocked on every single door. We didn't... we were too scared. Fortunately, nothing happened, even though the first door we knocked on, the guy who opened it was in his underwear. After knocking on a few more doors, we huddled in the front hallway for a bit, then left. And never told anyone (well, except my mother who was livid that we were sent in there alone) what we did.

• monophonic
    monophonic

[sent me, about 12 years old, and another young girl, about 16 years old, i]

i forgot, how many times in the 80's, when my friends and i were like 10 years old, they'd send us to do a whole territory on our own. i doubt that would happen now, but who knows.

• DawnLS620
    DawnLS620

Does anyone remember the stories that went around about people being out in service and an angel protecting them from a murder or molester? I remember one story that went around here - and was even discussed at a circuit assembly. A sister was going door to door and a man answered. She did her little verbal dissertation and the man got rid of her. Right afterwards the Avon lady came by and the guy pulled her inside and killed her. After he was arrested, he was asked why he didn't harm the JW lady that was just at his door minutes before and he replied "are you kidding, with those two huge guys that were with her"???? The "sister" was supposedly alone and the angels came down and protected her from the man. I remember this story so vividly as a teen.

Dawn

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    so, so, so, so great that part of my life is long over.

Glad you made it out of "the cult" too monophonic!

Moral of story: If it is not your "return visit" and you see a "beware of dog" sign, let the other guy go in and test the waters first.

Good moral there blondie!

The "sister" was supposedly alone and the angels came down and protected her from the man. I remember this story so vividly as a teen.

I remember hearing a story like that too Dawn!

• Threestars
    Threestars

regarding the angel protection story--I heard the EXACT same story, over and over. I even believed it when I was a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit