how do you feel about mandatory military service?

by The Humper 51 Replies latest jw friends

• The Humper
    The Humper

i was watching the democratic debate on tv today, well some of it, and this was one of the topics. personally i think that it woldnt be a bad thing at all. many countries do it and have no problems. and its mostly with the males. not mandatory for females. it wouldnt be such a bad thing really? what else have you got to do right after high school? and not like 4yrs just 2yrs. whats 2 yrs anyway? not a very long period of time.

it would help pay for education with the G.I. bill.

it would help kids to mature therefore helping society in a small way to mature. right? because you would have learned responsibility and have gotten good work ethics, among many other things.

they would get paid.

get healthcare.

learn a job skill. if you pick the right MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) that is.

i cant think of more beneficial things at this moment but there are more. if you disagree why? do you think a draft is better? not that this is going to happen anytime soon. but it is an interesting topic for debate.

i know the dubs would have a fit trying to find new ways to get people out of doing this.

• blondie
    blondie

I come from a career military family.

The opinion of men who fought in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, is:

The best soldiers are those who volunteer. They wanted someone who wanted to be there next to them fighting.

Blondie

• 5go
    5go

Yes, You want people in the army that don't want to fight. It tend to lead to less iraqs. That and when you have a piece in it you tend to not want to go to war unless it's nessesary.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

I personally don't like the idea at all. Just the fact that it would become 'mandatory' takes away the freedom to choose whether or not a person wants to be in the military.

I don't want my kids going into the military for selfish reasons. I don't know how these wives, mothers, families etc get through the day knowing their loved one is in Iraq. It would tear me up inside.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I think that if a county can't convince enough kids to go get themselves killed, that country should look at why they're running this war in the first place. It's bad enough for the kids over there who signed up believing in it, but it would be a cognitive hell for anybody who has never wanted to be there.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

No thanks! I'm glad mandatory military service is not practiced in the USA. They are not going to use my body for their mandatory "vaccinations" which is nothing more than forced human expiramentation.

Plus as blood thirsty as this president is, just imagine who all we could invade with an even bigger army. We would be looking for WMD in Sudan, Iran, Syria and who knows where else.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Both of my parents were in the Viet Nam War. They both volunteered, I could never support "mandatory military service" all I have to think about is "what if I had a son that was sent to war?". No definitely not.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Only the sons and daughters of the politicians that support a war should be forcibly inducted. For all others it must be voluntary, and I'd go further and limit their participation to those over 21 years old.

I don't want to live in a country that needs to be defended by slaves.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think if the US government is supposed to be "fighting for freedom" it would be a glarring paradox to have a mandatory military service. It would be turning the american public into a bunch of lemmings. To require people to give up thier lives for the state at the bidding of the US war machine is a vast contridiction of what the country is supposed to stand for, which is already in serious disrepute.

The Vietnam war with it's draft, was a prime example, burning draft cards, should be the order of the day if the Government ever brought the draft back.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think the government already has too much brain washing or indoctrination on our young, and am glad the pledge of aligence is no longer mandatory in the public school system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit