how do you feel about mandatory military service?

by The Humper 51 Replies latest jw friends

• brinjen
    brinjen

Don't agree with it at all. You either volunteer or you don't, this debate usually starts because they can't get enough people to voluntary join, maybe they should look seriously at the real reason why their numbers are down.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I don't think everyone is cut out for the military. Don't get me wrong if there was another hitler I would be there in a heartbeat female or not, but some people were just not meant for it.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hump,

it would help kids to mature therefore helping society in a small way to mature. right? because you would have learned responsibility and have gotten good work ethics, among many other things.

I don't think the US government is a good role model of "work ethics" and "responsibility" nor would I want my children under that much control by the government no matter what type of spin they put on it.

• brinjen
    brinjen
    I don't think the US government is a good role model of "work ethics" and "responsibility" nor would I want my children under that much control by the government no matter what type of spin they put on it.

Good point frankiespeakin, for the discipline angle how about something more noble such as helping with the rebuilt of New Orleans?

• frankiespeakin
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon
    many countries do it and have no problems.

Actually, I think you''d be best of looking at the differnces between those countries that still do and those that have stopped, and then decide what you want your country to be like; here are (from Wiki) the countrrees that stil do;

The Nordics are the odd ones out, but they all have non-milliary options. Germany lets you off if you go to University. The rest of the post-industrialised world doesn't do it. Go figure.

and its mostly with the males. not mandatory for females.

I really can't stand sexism like this. I think any manditory military service should include women as well. Otherwise equal rights is just a joke, and more importantly because politicians might be a little more cautious about using girls as cannon fodder as it looks bad.

it wouldnt be such a bad thing really?

Well, in terms of human rights, yes actally, it would be that bad.

what else have you got to do right after high school?

Errrr... complete your education and NOT learn how to run round with guns? But what people do with THEIR time is irrelvent; they are not servaets of the government, they are citizens, and in a free country labour should not be forced.

and not like 4yrs just 2yrs. whats 2 yrs anyway? not a very long period of time.

Again, irrelevent. It's not how long, it's the principle that forced labur and free countries are not compatible.

• The Humper
    The Humper

hey im not saying that we should do it. it was just a thought. there are pros and cons to everything in life.

in one way im for it, but in many ways im not and theyve all been stated. i was just wondering what all of your thoughts were on the issue.

did anyone else watch the democratic debate? how many are Democrats? who just doesnt even give a rats ass?

• JH
    JH
    how do you feel about mandatory military service?

The more you have enemies, the more it's important to have an abundant defense force.

• hubert
    hubert

The Nordics are the odd ones out, but they all have non-milliary options. Germany lets you off if you go to University. The rest of the post-industrialised world doesn't do it. Go figure.

Do you know why (most) Nordic countries have mandatory military service? Because they were "occupied" in World War Two, or other wars. These countries don't want it to happen again, that's why they have a strong military, as a deterent to invasion by hostile countries. Since the Revolutionary War, the U.S. has never been occupied by another country. That's probably why we don't have a mandatory military, plus we have a large population, and because of that, usually can rely on enough volunteers to fullfill the needs of a strong military, for defense reasons.

I like the idea of alternatives to service, such as going to college. During the Vietnam war, when the draft was re-instated, there was that option. Of course, medical reasons are another reason to opt out, also.

And just a reminder....WE ARE AT WAR, PEOPLE !!!! Remember 9/11 ????????

Terrorism is never going away. We will be fighting it for decades, maybe even centuries.

(I know, I'm not a military analyst. But, this is my opinion).

Hubert

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Hubert,

And just a reminder....WE ARE AT WAR, PEOPLE !!!! Remember 9/11 ????????

Terrorism is never going away. We will be fighting it for decades, maybe even centuries.

(I know, I'm not a military analyst. But, this is my opinion).

Hubert

You been listening to the spin-doctors uncritically. Click on this and then click on 1-5. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/135509/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit