Throwing Good Music Away

by choosing life 42 Replies latest jw friends

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    When we decided to part with a Queen album, I remember sitting in the living room with "another one bites the dust" on the turntable. We spun it backwards and swore we heard it say "decide to smoke marajuana". Goes to show you what your imagination can do when your all reved up.

LMAO hmmm...are you sure you guys weren't smokin a doobie at the time?? lol I often wondered if the WTS actually listened to what was "backmasked" onto that Queen song?? At least I did replace all my Led Zep LPs with CDs recently. That "devil" music really sounds good!!!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I'm listening to Randy California, He was the guitarist of the band Spirit in the 60's. His first band was Jimmy James and the Blue Flames. Jimmy last name was Hendrix.

• DJK
    DJK

Glad you like "Pieces of April" MsMcDucket.

Asphereisnotacircle, I like "Everybody hurts."

This is a 45 I had to throw away when I was a dub. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E09xiywOn6E

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Here's a timeless one from King Crimson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eBcqhMoxRM

The video becomes a little tiresome, but I like the music.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Farewell To Kings was my first taste of Rush. Closer to the Heart I think.

Turn Devo's 'Whip It' backwards. It's a good example of backward masking. The verbalisation is very clear and natural!

What are these 'ceedees' you people speak of???

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

i love counting crows..my fave is this desert life cd.

i saw them a few years ago when i was at my lowest and was really looking forward to wallowing in a night of melancholy music.

but blow me if adam hadn't had an upturn in his life so he sang all his happy songs

I love CC, and have seen him in concert. I have all his CD's and love every one, with the exception of his newest, "Hard Candy", you are right, it is just too happy. I never play it.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

When we decided to part with a Queen album, I remember sitting in the living room with "another one bites the dust" on the turntable. We spun it backwards and swore we heard it say "decide to smoke marajuana". Goes to show you what your imagination can do when your all reved up.

Haha, are you the one that started that rumor?

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

Hey peoples.......Numark makes a turntable with a usb port, and the software required to play your records, and convert the songs to Mp3 format....At that point ya just put 'em in a file, and burn em, or stick em on your I-pod. The model is as follows: 'Numark ttusb' Do a google search on it.I got mine for about 150.00$US I frikkin' love it. Do it, ya know you want to!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Numark makes a turntable with a usb port,

I looked into the USB turntable that you mentioned. Although it makes things easier, here are the drawbacks after doing a bit of research:

- No tonearm cueing lever so you are manually dropping the arm onto the vinyl disk.

Without a lever, you're going to be harder on your records and your stylus.

- Adjustable Pitch Belt Drive Turntable.

I don't like belt driven turntables for a few reasons:
    1) The belt is a bitch to get back on if it pops off
    2) The belt will need to be replaced after 10-20 years
    3) It transfers DC motor hum to the turntable platter

I use a direct drive turntable, therefore I never encounter these problems.

- Supports the recording of 78 RPM records through the included software.

For the person who has never done this, it sounds like a good idea. However, when you actually try playing wide-grooved 78 records with a stylus meant for the fine grooved 33s and 45s, all you're going to do is listen to the crud sitting in the bottom of the groove with a little bit of music. The tracking is going to be VERY bad if you use your built-for-33s stylus on a 78. I also wouldn't recommend playing 33s with a stylus designed for 78s.

- High speed vinyl recording

If you copy your LP at a higher speed than it was intended to play, you're going to get a lower-fidelity, inaccurate recording. It would actually be more desireable to copy your LPs at a slower speed.

- Ships with Audacity software (compatible with PC and Mac) for removing clicks, pops, and other undesirable characteristics of vinyl

I've never used Audacity, but I wouldn't recomment using ANY kind of a click / pop/ hum filter. Filters generally make for a dull sounding recording (unless the recording was specially encoded for use of a filter like Dolby)

• done4good
    done4good
    What are these 'ceedees' you people speak of???

Ah, that sounds like a vinylphile to me....

I use a direct drive turntable, therefore I never encounter these problems.

I second that. Don't waste your money on a belt drive table. Unless you are willing to spend mega bucks for the good ones. A well designed direct drive unit, such as a Technics 1200, or Denon can be had for about $500, (US), and will outlast anything else in your stereo. This is also very important, if you plan to keep spining vinyl, as it probably won't be too long before you won't be able to buy a TT.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit