Did you ever end a relationship because you were a JW?

by TheCoolerKing 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

It's like saying "I really like you, except everything is wrong with your thinking, so let me brainwash you first, till I find you suitable to my tastes. How arrogant, how stupid, when It was me with the problem!

• Brigid
    Brigid

Kind of. I started getting all witnessy toward the end of high school and wanted to stop having relations with my BF but could not stop. So, that got in the way.

All things unfold as they should. I don't regret it, but it ended so poorly. I became very very hardened toward "love" for a great many years after that.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    That can definately cause problems if one of you is still a JW. Is your hubby still active Renee??

He's now my ex-husband and no, he's not active. He never believed it anyway but he joined the JWs thinking that in time he could get me out. He worked hard and succeeded. But I left him about 3 months before I left the JWs. It was the way I was treated by the elders after the divorce that was the last straw that got me out. (My ex was an @$$ and I would never go back to him JW or not)

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

oh man, did i ever... and it sucked.. sometimes it was out of fear of getting caught, other times it was out of fear that i would hurt that person... i mean no regrets now, i have the most amazing gf in the world now, but damn, some of those girls were fine too! LMAO... i wouldnt trade it all for the world now, and what the hell, i was seventeen, how serious can a relationship be at that point?

the infamous one

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

I can see that, just like so many other issues and experiences on this board, I'm not alone!!! Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think the worst part of it all was after I had finally gotten over the relationship, my ex-girlfriend got in touch with me again! She just wanted to see how my life was going (not great at the time, I was very, very single!) She told me that she was now married and had a little girl. She was happy she said. While I was happy for her, I felt sorry for myself. I went out that night and got drunk! I kept wondering about what MIGHT have been!!!

Eventually I got over it, but it took time. I think this is just another example of how the JWs screw up people's lives!!!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yes... you can read about it here...

Part 1...
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/75886/1.ashx

Part 2...
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/75888/1.ashx

Part 3...
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/75980/1.ashx

Part 4...
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/75981/1.ashx

Epilogue...
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/76438/1.ashx

I hope you have a few hours to read it all...

Of course, this story does not even talk about the gals who were not JWs and were interested in me. (I was so dense though that I wasn't aware of it, or didn't know how to pursue a relationship.)

Anyway... you asked.

Regards,

Jim TX

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I met my soulmate in High School but wouldn't date him because he wasn't JW. Fortunately we reconnected - 30 years later - and are now happily married.

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    I met my soulmate in High School but wouldn't date him because he wasn't JW. Fortunately we reconnected - 30 years later - and are now happily married.

Thanks for sharing that LisaRose!!! Way to go!!! And congrats to you and your hubby, for reconnecting after all those years!!!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yes, my first boyfriend (at age 27!! ) who asked me to marry him and waited over a year for me to decide while I dealt with the confusion. I didn't want to be a witness then but didn't know it, and had to have time to work that out. He eventually gave up and broke it off because he couldn't take the rejection. It hurt for years, literally; I cried for two hours a day until three years later, when it happened that Mr Frass was the only person left who cared enough to listen to me talk about how hurt I still was. I remember just sobbing about it with him for a half hour and this ended the regret and put the pain behind me, and I was finally able to move on.

I eventually realised that if he wasn't the kind of guy to wait while I went through the biggest thing of my silly little life, he wasn't the one for me. Mr Frass did.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I had a friend, a male friend, from my sophmore year in high school in 1971 who had stood up in my first wedding in 75 and been there for me forever. We were never BF GF but talked about how things "might have been" if our marriages and timing had been different. But we have always been sooo close. When I became a JW my husband decided that it wasnt decent for me to have male friends let alone WORLDLY male friends and I was forced to tell my friend that out of respect for my husband I couldnt talk to him any more and he was so gracious about it. And sad. As was I.

Well...15 years into my marriage my husband and I were at a very rocky place and I had DAd. And this old friend tracked me down and I said to myself NO MORE! He is a part of my life and Im not gonna kick him to the curb because Im married to someone who is insecure! He was into his own second marriage as well. So we rekindled our friendship and we fell in like we were never apart for those 15 years...which is how it is with TRUE FRIENDS.

Never again will I give up ANYBODY in my life like that! And his new wife and I have become friends as well and I have visited them often in the 5 years since. Life is too short.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit