Did you ever end a relationship because you were a JW?

by TheCoolerKing 21 Replies latest jw friends

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

A few years before I left the JWs for good, I broke off a relationship with my “worldly” girlfriend. We were in love, but I ended it because I felt guilty and wanted to be a good “dub”.

Then about three years after we broke up, I left “The Org.” I suffered through years of depression and had to deal with a whole new way of life, which also included family members shunning me. But my biggest regret and most of my emotional pain back then was caused because I had let my girlfriend go, instead of leaving the JWs sooner.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

TCK

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

No ... I converted the guy so I could marry him. Now that's what I regret.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Absolutlely! I can't count how many I ended that way because they weren't of my faith. It really started to get annoying. The one that hurt the most was a beautiful girl I loved so much I had a mind to marry. I was told to not step in her direction but make her come onto my turf and have a bible study with her. I look back now and see that it was insane thinking. How romantic eh! Come on dear it's not so bad. Who cares about Christmas, Easter, Halloween, or any other celebration. I can fill your head with shit and make it the most boring possible existence you ever dreamed of. Isn't that what you've always been looking for.

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    I was told to not step in her direction but make her come onto my turf and have a bible study with her. I look back now and see that it was insane thinking. How romantic eh!

Yup, I even tried that bible study bit on my girl too...ugh! Insane thinking for sure and hardly romantic!!!

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    No ... I converted the guy so I could marry him. Now that's what I regret.

That can definately cause problems if one of you is still a JW. Is your hubby still active Renee??

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Yes, good thread. I feel your pain dude.

I have pushed quite a few really nice girls away because I was a good little dub and couldn't see a future with them. Now I've just turned 40, am single and am starting to feel panicky about my chances of meeting a marriageable woman in the world who wants children, etc. I think about what life could have been like if I'd just been a normal, happy person without judging everyone I came across because they weren't a dub.

Not only has being a dub retarded me career-wise (not reaching my academic potential when I was younger and not getting into a serious career younger) but it can seriously stunt you relationship-wise also.

I'm also coming out of a few years of mild depression, confusion and feeling lost since breaking free from the dubs and am now ready to form healthy relationships out in the 'world' and hopefully find that special someone sooner rather than later. Life begins at 40! (I hope).

cheers
    Yadda

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Yes, 2 times. One was worldly, and the other one wasnt strong enough in the truth for my dad!!!!!!!

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    Life begins at 40! (I hope)

You bet it does Yadda!!! Hang in there Bud!!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

This is somewhat strange but I split up with a JW girl because she wanted to be a missionary or at least a full time pioneer and I didn't want to get so deeply involved in labouring for the org. It's just as well because soon after I decided to abandon the cult.

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    ...and the other one wasnt strong enough in the truth for my dad!!!!!!!

hmmm...any chance that he's now a member of this site ButtLight???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit