I've been asked to give a public talk (should I)

by darth frosty 44 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

A friend of mine who is planing his fade, has just been made talk coordinator. So he calls me and ask 'do I want to give a talk at his hall?' He knows my situation and lurks on this board himself. He has a great back story about having a visiting speaker from an out of town congo. So that leads me to ask 2 questions. First would you do it? Second for the Bethel monitors WTF can you do about a situation like this.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All you have to do is "I'll think about it". Of course the answer is no.

If they won't take no for an answer, all you have to do is skip the meeting that night. Don't worry: if there is anything earth-shattering there, it will appear on this forum. And they will have to scramble to find another person to replace you. The more they counted on you to give that talk, the worse of a pickle they will be in when you don't show up for the meeting.

If things get really desperate and you find yourself giving a talk you really really didn't want to do, and missing the meeting isn't an option, then you might have to resort to drastic measures. Incorporating things from this board into your talk will ensure that this is the LAST time you ever get a talk. However, you will probably be hauled into the back room for a meeting with the houndersshepherds after the meeting. Likely it will be for a kangaroo courtjudicial hearing.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

O.K. Let me clarify the situation WTWizard, I haven't been to a meeting in 4 years. My friend knows this, he also knows the dubs are full of it. He just wants to get his kicks(and have the people at his hall have a decent speaker for once.) And this is the sunday public discourse.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

YES !!!!!! You should do it ......will you be following the outline ??? Make it good and Enjoy it because , it will never happen again especially if you edit talk to your own version .

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Although the suggestion sounds good, how really would this go down? Will you be subtle about what you say or quite obvious? How far can you get through something that doesnt sound right to the audience? Do you have a topic in mind and ways to develop it?

CS 101

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Lol, I like the way your friend thinks.

I'd say go for it!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Lol.

The only problem being, if you do say something remarkable you might ruin your friend's prospective fade...

• Scully
    Scully

Is there a talk that you could give that you could (1) play up the Christianity = love factor, and loyalty to Christ's example and (2) play down the loyalty to the WTS factor?

I'm trying to remember talks that my dad used to give.... Conduct Yourselves Honestly in All Things... was one of the ones he gave quite frequently. You could put a spin on it so that you incorporate the idea of "testing these things to make sure they are true" when it comes to ALL sources of information, and the expectation of honesty from those whom you have entrusted with your lives.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

There is no need to worry about his fade. I used to give six different outlines. The problem is I just cant see myself going INTO a kingdumb hall even to play a prank. If I did the talk will be wholly factual and well researched as the society recomends.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am confused. If you haven't been in 4 years, how can he seriously put you up there?
    There would be no way a BOE would let you take the stage. Please elaborate on what
    the plans are, or if this is just a joke.

BTW, here's the answer in one of your own threads:

A thread by Darth Frosty- Hypothetical-if you went back

How outrageous would your behavior be. I know if I went back I'll be eating crackers and cool aide at the annual march april event. Probably bring back the concubine arrangement. Last but not least use curse words in my talks.

Might as well make the meeting live. What would you do to enhance the flavor? http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/123711/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit