I've been asked to give a public talk (should I)

by darth frosty 44 Replies latest jw friends

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Do it! What better chance to "plant some seeds" !!

"Brothers and sisters, we need to challenge the train of thought we have been holding on to." Read about the Boreans .... Ask: Are you behaving the way you do because you see your brothers and sisters behaving that way or are you following the example Jesus Christ set?

"So what has your attitude been? Has it been one of love and concern for your brothers? Or judging and condescending?"

Then talk about the love of Jesus. Talk about how Jesus broke rules in order to show love like how he broke the Sabbath to save an animals life.

Focus on how we should be more concerned about caring for our brothers and sisters and less about trying to condemn them. There are loads of scriptures for that!

• willyloman
    willyloman

When I was in the "doubting" phase, prior to my fade, I was still an elder and gave frequent talks. I began reworking all my outlines to avoid having to preach something I didn't really believe in. I had many talk outlines in my file cabinet and went looking for some topics I thought could be developed in more "neutral" fashion. I came across one that was on the Bible. It was a very factual outline, mostly limited to a discussion of how many books in the biible, who wrote them and when, early church arguments for and against inclusion in the canon, etc. A lot of "scholarly" references and facts and figures, very few whacky interpretations by the WTBTS. I developed the talk using historical and other sources and then presented it.

I was a good speaker and people usually expressed that afterwards, but for this particular talk (I gave it twice) the response was amazing! It was because I was actually teaching something about the bible, rather than convoluted dogma with alleged scriptural support. In this talk, I never once had to resort to: "To prove the point, note what it says in the '73 Watchtower, Page 187."

All this did was confirm for me that most dubs are starving for information and just not getting it at the KH.

However, even armed with a more enlightened approach, I could not in good conscience continue to show up and swim against the tide. The dub system's problems are much deeper than the material.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher
    There is a great story I heard about a guy who gave a talk that was on the edge.

He got up there with Russells and Rutherfords books. He started the talk something to the effect of...

You people are false prophets. You said the end would come in 1914, 1918, 1925 and it never did. I have the books that show you have false prophesied.

Then a pause.

He then went on to say 'Now imagine somebody told that to you at the door, how would you respond?'

The rest of the talk went pretty low key with just some hinting at the truth of the matter. Right at that pause he described the looks on the Elders faces not knowing what was going on. Sounded like a moment to remember.

This story I heard on MM Outreach audio clips by the person who actually did the deed. I thought it was brilliant! Anyone remember who it was?

• Black Man
    Black Man

Great topic! This goes up............

• Balsam
    Balsam

I think Willyloman has a great idea. I was so starved for scholarly information after I left the JW's I watched all the "Mysteries of the Bible" on the History Channel and learned tons of things about the bible. Give the witnesses something that will excite them about really researching into how the bible came to us it could be an endlessly interesting for years to come.

Ruth

• bluebell
    bluebell

I'd be careful. If you haven't been in a hall for 4 years how on earth are you going to feel comfortable going in one?

Also beware that you do not show up too much of the jw hypocrisy. If you are labelled an apostate you will just close peoples minds and hearts even more, you could do more damage than harm.

• Black Man
    Black Man

You should give the talk............

• Black Man
    Black Man

I'll let the cat out of the bag. I was the one who asked Darth to give the talk at my hall (before I officially faded of course, which I completely walked away in Spring, 2009). After much thought, he decided NOT to do it. At the time I asked him, I was having problems getting GOOD speakers at the hall for the public talks. This was no exaggeration, there were some weeks that the talks were so painful that I wondered whether these speakers could even complete a HOOKED ON PHONICS exercise.

I remembered how GREAT a speaker Darth was before and during our Bethel days, so I asked him. I had it set up that he would be visiting from his old congo in NYC and even put it up on the board with one of his outlines that he used to give. This was during the final days in the org and I thought it would be a hoot to have him give the talk and it would've made sitting their listening to the public talk BEARABLE for once.

In hindsight, I respect his decision, but I always wonder WHAT IF? What would that have been like? Would've been AWESOME!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Wow this is years later! That is fantastic. I wish he would have done it as well.

If both of you guys have totally faded its easy to regret not doing it.

I sometimes wonder if those of us that could stomach it would do well to remain "moles".

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

LOLz yeah I probablyh should have done it!

But it was OTWO who convinced me even as a prank there is some sh!t its best not to re-visit. This was 6 yrs ago I'd hate to see the kind of brain dead drivel that they put out there in the guise of a public talk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit