Does A School Yard Bully Attitude Take Over This Discussion Board?

by The wanderer 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Ummm...Gregor...I think he does this TO generate response...and not with negative motive. I've always considered his topics though-provoking, like a classroom teacher who knows how to get students' brains clicking on a subject--to search within themselves for the answers that make sense to them and bring all possible angles to the fore. Just my take on it....

That's all very well, no argument here. So why does he whine about it ala the above topic? I simply answered his question. It says above "By posting on this forum, you agree to abide by the guidelines..."

I see no guideline that says one must post only softball answers to provocative questions. You may see his threads as if from a "classroom teacher who knows how to get students brains clicking on a subject...etc" I'll stick with the gist of what I said before, if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. To tell you the truth, I took him for a troll and I'm still not too sure he isn't.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    To tell you the truth, I took him for a troll and I'm still not too sure he isn't.

ROFL !!!

Yeah...as I have been mistaken for a troll...and have taken someone for a troll just yesterday--verdict still on that one.... I guess we all have our own ways of stating things, and reacting, and hot button issues..................................................

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Wanderer,

Why does it seem that individuals cannot simply respect a person’s view-
    point or more importantly the person themselves whether they agree
    with them or not?

Well, some viewpoints are disrespectful in themselves and treating these viewpoints with disrespect is a neccessity. This is especially true on a discussion Board full of people who have never been allowed opinions of their own, some for decades, when they were adherents of the WTS.

For example, someone might suggest that women are empty-headed, over-emotional beings who are best kept pregnant and tied to homemaking, as did Paul. Should this viewpoint be respected? Of course not. If such a view is then posted to a public, international discussion Board the person posting must expect to get his or her arse tanned, and rightfully so.

Sometimes developing a previously unheard of maturity of thought by interchange with others who may be more informed than ourselves is not a comfortable thing, and often means that our personal sacred cows are slaughtered with little mercy. If we are suffering from a thin-skin scenario this can be very disconcerting, and in such a situation imho a discussion Board like this one is not the best place to drink our coffee in.

Climb in the bull-ring and you must expect to get the occasional goring. If it toughens our critical thinking skills, and helps us defend who we are and what we think, it can do us a great deal of emotional good in the long run.

HS

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Okay, you got me. I personally apologize for all the rhetorical wedgies, argumental atomic noogies, and linguistic dutch ovens I have caused.

Pppppphhhhhh!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Wanderer,

It seems to me like maybe somebody is looking for a fat lip.

You got a coupla dollahs you can lend me til next week?

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

“Wanderer, your extremely formal, dispassionate, opening thread posts, complete with tabloid graphics and salutation, ("respectfully") shout out that you are a person who can't take the heat but doesn't want to get out of the kitchen.— Gregor

Dear Gregor: The discussions design is to generate a response with a thought
    provoking question or statement. Regarding the issue of being formal, I have
    to bear in mind this is an international audience and respect is essential.

However, if you feel you can do a better job of topic writing then feel free. —The Wanderer

“Ummm... Gregor...I think he does this TO generate response...and not with negative motive.” —J-ex-W

Dear J-ex-W: It is nice to be understood thank you for the comment.—The Wanderer

“If it toughens our critical thinking skills, and helps us defend who we are and what we think,
    it can do us a great deal of emotional good in the long run.”—hillary_step

A viewpoint, I had not previously thought about thank you. —The Wanderer

Dear Scully: I look forward to and personally love your comments thank you
    for striking gold again.—The Wanderer

Respectfully to all,

The Wanderer

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Wanderer don't worry about what Gregor says ,he's going thru MANAPAUSE ,at his age he must have a niggling prostate

• trevor
    trevor

The Wanderer

Like most people I think this board works perfectly well. No one is obliged to read or type a single word.

You talk about fighting being a part of growing up. Growing doesn't stop just because we are adults. It is through challenging each others beliefs and forcefully telling it like its, or how we think it is, that progress is made.

I for one enjoy a good fight, battle of wits, or struggle. It is exciting and helps to shed pent up frustration. We don't come here just to massage each others belief system. We come here to test our own beliefs and views in the arena of debate.

To the Death - and may the best man win. Of course wrestling with female posters is even more exciting!

trev

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I for one enjoy a good fight, battle of wits, or struggle. It is exciting and helps to shed pent up frustration. We don't come here just to massage each others belief system. We come here to test our own beliefs and views in the arena of debate.

I agree, I have changed some of my views on thing since I have bean here but I do believe in respect and I find that you ( The wanderer ) are a gentleman. I don't take "attacks" personal, I know that nobody here really knows who I am, they are just "attacking" what I'm saying. I think that "bully's" can be found on both sides, believers and non believers, the difference with some bible believers is that they believe that the non believer will be punished for there belief.

• hopie
    hopie

No one person has all the answers. To keep growing with knowledge, we must consider all view points with humility and dignity, then excerise our own conscience to decide what we want to believe in.

Hopie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit