Does A School Yard Bully Attitude Take Over This Discussion Board?

by The wanderer 77 Replies latest jw friends

• found-my-way
    found-my-way
    they are just "attacking" what I'm saying. I think that "bully's" can be found on both sides, believers and non believers, the difference with some bible believers is that they believe that the non believer will be punished for their belief.

I think that is the part that galls the athesits the most, it's not that the believers believe in creation, or in God, great! Believe in a god if it makes you feel better! Atheists will say why they dont believe in a god...but they arent damning those who do...

it is some of the believers on here that attack those who don't believe and condemn them.

(most believers are not this judgemental, most are wonderfully tolerant and accepting of others beliefs or non beliefs)

I have a problem with the few bully's who point their self-righteous finger and tell someone that they deserve to to be tormented forever in fiery hell unless they accept Christ/God as their personal savior and become born again.

but that is just my opinion! and it doesnt count for much

• jgnat
    jgnat
    That's usually the same voice that I hear in my head whenever I see a believer vs atheist debate here.

Hear, hear, Scully. I heartily agree. You are a wise and tolerant woman.

• Undecided
    Undecided

No one has the answers, just opinions, so I give everyone a right to his opinion even if I don't agree with it, just don't expect me to believe it. If your opinion or belief harms other humans then I will try to show it to be wrong if I have the ability to do so. Mostly I just try to live my life so I can enjoy what's left of it.

Ken P.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

I have seen this type of attitude here and of course other places. It is a turn off for me. I think that maybe it is the JW mentality still hanging on ... the 'i have the truth' mentality. As if that person KNOWS the ONLY way to be or think etc. I try to stay away from mentalities like that. They give me the JW heebee geebees.

Smiles

• greendawn
    greendawn

The whole idea is to have debates, as long as this is done in a civil manner. One tries to persuade others that his point of view is correct by using rational arguments and that's fair game. Usually there are two groups arguing rather than one against a group.

• Brigid
    Brigid
    Why does it seem that individuals cannot simply respect a person’s view-
    point or more importantly the person themselves whether they agree
    with them or not?

I personally try to do this but this is a board made up of people who have been to various (some horrific) degrees, mind & soul-raped in the name of God, so a little vitriole is to be expected and tolerated, I suppose.

When an individual offers their perspective, viewpoint or opinion on a
    matter why does a “we got to get him attitude” take hold?

See my above comment. It doesn't necessarily excuse it, but perhaps explains it.

I can appreciate Christianity in its current incarnation...but let's face it, it does not have a very tolerant, respectful-of-other-beliefs history. Sure, now they're all fluffy bunny, come join our big tent, etc. But people are still leary (google the burning times).

Why do people jump on Christians when they peep their little voices up? (I don't condone this, but I'm trying to explain my opinion of why it occurs): Most Christians do have an agenda (to make the whole earth believe, dress, speak, act and look like them--but they can't quite decide what that looks like either); I call it the Green Eggs and Ham syndrome: Would you like Jesus on a plane? Would you like Jesus on a train? Try him, you'll like him!!

People get irritated.

Now, having said that, I really like Jesus but I view him in a totally different light than most Christians. I also have deep deep respect for how the Christian faith got started; radical rabbinic dissident rises up from the "unwashed" and disregarded plebian muck in a highly politically charged time in Israeli history. Makes people THINK about the precepts behind their faith and the nature of God. Christianity was totally cool before the romans saw politcal opportunity by making it a national religion and co-opting it for political (mass control) purposes--hey kinda like the (American) Republican party today--LOL!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

To tell you the truth, I took him for a troll and I'm still not too sure he isn't.

I could read no deeper into the thread that this idiodic remark, before commenting.

At the risk of beginning a schoolyard brawl, I know the Poster well, speak with him every week on the phone, and we have aided each other to make a successfull exit from the Borg. He is no troll.

You - however took a perfectly fine thread and turned into a fight. Ass!

Jeff

• Gregor
    Gregor

Wanderer don't worry about what Gregor says ,he's going thru MANAPAUSE ,at his age he must have a niggling prostate.

Yeah, Wanderer. He's just an old meanypants! He doesn't even sign his posts "Respectfully".! (sorry to disappoint Woza. but my prostitute gland hasn't niggled yet. LOL)

• Gregor
    Gregor

You - however took a perfectly fine thread and turned into a fight. Ass!

Jeff

A fight? Gee, I wish someone would tell me the rules in replying to you thin skinned baby whiners. Geesh!

• DJK
    DJK

During a discussion such as whether a person is an agnostic, atheist or
    believer sides are taken and a line is “drawn in the sand.” Often I wonder
    why this is the case?

Why does it seem that individuals cannot simply respect a person’s view-
    point or more importantly the person themselves whether they agree
    with them or not?

When an individual offers their perspective, viewpoint or opinion on a
    matter why does a “we got to get him attitude” take hold?

Can you offer your perspective on the matter?

My perspective. It's in the way a viewpoint is presented. If an individual's viewpoint suggests Atheists are evil and Theists are good then sides will be taken. If your the only male in a coffee shop with twenty women and you make a joke about pms, do you expect a laugh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit