Does A School Yard Bully Attitude Take Over This Discussion Board?

by The wanderer 77 Replies latest jw friends

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

***I really was not complaining about being "bullied" by anyone per se.***

Oh, pulllease be honest, yes indeedy you were. I saw this brewing 2 or 3 days ago where you rather arrogantly criticized a poster's writing ability and received equally critical responses in kind.

The "believer vs. atheist" debate is a convenient red herring but that distraction will not fly with me. Do I look like a dumb blonde? Oops, don't answer that. :–)

I said to myself, "Self, The wanderer will soon start a topic on bullying." I am not psychic. I just saw this coming.

***When an individual offers their perspective, viewpoint or opinion on a matter why does a “we got to get him attitude” take hold?***

The writer was not asking for your perspective, viewpoint or opinion on *how* to write yet you saw fit to attack his ability. Who threw the first punch from out of nowhere, who was the bully? You even commented on an expected lack of participation in his topic — which carried on quite merrily without your further input... or unsolicited word counts.... or advised style guides. Did you confuse JWD with the TMS during some sort of weird flashback? It seemed so out of character, but then...

"Pride goeth before a fall." Well, you fell into some virtual doo-doo of your own making, and then started *this* topic to enjoin others to wipe the crap off. Sorry, friend, but I will not do that for you. I can empathize 1,110% that your pride is hurt, recognizing it is a self-inflicted wound.

No one is/was "out to get" you, but if you're going to dish it out, you must to be prepared to take it. That's not bullying, it's par for the course.

I mean that most respectfully, as I've been there/done that, and lived to regret it, too!

~Sue

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

When you have a razor sharp mind and wit and use it on a discussion board, sometimes it can come across as intellectually bullying from a thin skinned person's point of view . However, if you can ride along and go with the flow it really will benefit the thin skinned person in the long run.

Scripturally in the WTS we were asked to listen to a talk called "Stumbling Stone to stepping stones" and told that iron sharpens iron or words to that effect. Good advice from the WTS. Listen to the intellect, dont take it to heart, go with the flow and then learn from it.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    'Ol The Wanderer says:
    Regarding the design of the article I
    set a buffer in place after the main
    heading which correlates to the sub-
    heading which contains the main idea.

I choose colours based on the type of
    discussion that I am presenting.

The articles main purpose is to inspire
    thought, viewpoints and opinions.

Wow. I mean, wow dude, just wow. Other people start topics. You start articles. Wow. That's...uh...impressive!

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Sue:

Regarding the first part of your commentary
    this is what inspiried the "bully" article.
    Needing To Question Atheism.

Regarding the second part of your commentary
    I let the article writer know that it was an im-
    pressive piece of writing.

The conflict was with the style not the actual writing.

It reminded me of a teacher I once had that taught well, but could not write on the blackboard.

If you are going to write as an authority or professional it must include not only the content but the style.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It may come down to the semantics of the words; discussion, argument, fight, civil, reality, paradigm. The authors of the variety of opinions apply a worldview of the words presented that does not always fit the context intended by the presenter.

Hence the fight between the Lad from England and the Lad from North Dakota. When the Londoner said something about the Dakota's girlfriend and her 'flat', the fight ensued. One was discussing accomodations. The other, feeding devices.

Jeff

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Wanderer,

Narkissos is not the only person who has your number :

***I really was not complaining about being "bullied" by anyone per se.***

Oh, pulllease be honest, yes indeedy you were. I saw this brewing 2 or 3 days ago where you rather arrogantly criticized a poster's writing ability and received equally critical responses in kind.

The "believer vs. atheist" debate is a convenient red herring but that distraction will not fly with me. Do I look like a dumb blonde? Oops, don't answer that. :–)

I said to myself, "Self, The wanderer will soon start a topic on bullying." I am not psychic. I just saw this coming.

This person has you well taped also.

The conflict was with the style not the actual writing.

It reminded me of a teacher I once had that taught well, but could not write on the blackboard.

If you are going to write as an authority or professional it must include not only the content but the style.

I note that you are still offering patronising, condescending lessons on subjects that you do not understand. Has it ever entered your head that posting on a discussion Board where many topics require in depth discussion and often word by word analysis precludes the use of advertising and marketing techniques in formatting what is posted on this Board?

As I have previously noted, AlanF has successfully used his posting 'style' over many years, not to sell cucumbers, but to inform many people of the flaws within the WTS. Numerous people have benefited from his style, which focuses on not letting any detail stray from the issue. It is a scientific methodology easily understood if you were ever to have read a medical book, or a book about astronomy for example, that were not aimed at children.

Formatting your posts in the way that you do, with compressed paragraphs and focussed highlights may be very useful at work, but on a discussion Board it reeks of a certain type of arrogance, as do many of your posts. Why not try to make your point, the way others do, by using the standard formatting allowed by this Board. In that way your posts will stand on their own merits and will require no marketing techniques to try to push them above the ordinary or give them a credibility that may not be deserved.

HS

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

***Regarding the second part of your commentary I let the article writer know that it was an impressive piece of writing.***

How kind of you to let him know. The "article" writer has only been around for what, 10, 15 years and maybe he was starting to wonder about his impression.

***The conflict was with the style not the actual writing. It reminded me of a teacher I once had that taught well, but could not write on the blackboard. If you are going to write as an authority or professional it must include not only the content but the style.***

The conflict was with your presumptuous attitude and condescending "advice," which you still obstinately fail to acknowledge.

It says "everyone welcome!" here. I was not aware that this was a professional writers' forum where authoritative "articles" were critiqued for word counts and *must* adhere to your personal style guide for web presentation. When were you installed as style Nazi anyway?

Some folks are still learning to type, please go easy on them. :–)

By way of background, I know just a little bit about style. You see, I'm a graphics professional with about 20 years experience in art direction, design studio management and editorial support. I primarily work in publishing, sometimes advertising.

So, please, do not think for one moment you can leak on my leg and tell me it's raining.

If that makes me a schoolyard bully, so be it. I'm still nice enough to wish you the happiest of weekends. :–)

~Sue

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Sue:

Then we may have something in common because
    I have a degree in the same industry as you.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Sue:

Another point, regarding this subject is that
    the writer ASKED for my suggestion or advice.

Here is part of the quote:

"...offer helpful suggestions as to just what words ought to be cut out and just what words ought to be put in place.." - Alan F

In turn, I suggested a book Writing for the
    Web: A Practial Guide by Cynthia L. Jeney

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• bluebell
    bluebell

I don't think that it's so much a school yard bully but people with very differing viewpoints all trying to put their point across in their own way and everyone misunderstanding everyone else. There are some trollers but some are jsut labelled as being trolls because their way of putting their point across is not quite so well-honed. I kinda like reading the discussions but get tired if everyone starts bashing someone in particular and don't bother reading any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit