Nothing.

by Narkissos 55 Replies latest jw friends

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Life is but a passing dream, but the death that follows is eternal. - Maester Seymour Guado.

Lore

• wednesday
    wednesday

Narkissos

Nothing is everything. I have the Osho Zen tarot cards and card # 5 is just black and called "no-thingness" This card is usually interpreted in most decks as the Hierophant or Pope. So it is immediately tied in with religion and spirituality.

The Osho Zen says for card # 5 , ' Buddha has chosen one of the really very potential words -shunyata . The English equivalent, 'nothingness" is not such a beautiful world. That is why I like to make it "no-thingness" because the nothing is not just nothing, it is all. It is vibrant with possibilities. It is potential, absolute, potential. It is unmanliest yet, but it contains all. In the beginning is nature, in the end is nature, so why in the middle so you make so much fuss? Why, in the middle, becoming so worried, so anxious, so ambitious---why create such despair?

Nothingness to No-Thingness is the whole journey.

Western Interpretation

Being in "in the gap" can be disorienting and even scary. Nothing to hold on to, no sense of direction, not even a hint of what choices and possibilities might be ahead. But it was just this state of pure potential that existed before the universe was created. All you can do now is relax into this nothingness... fall into this silence between the words, ... watch this gap between the outgoing and incoming breath. And treasure each empty moment of the experience. Something scared is about to be born."

I find this very comforting.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Nark, what did you think of the movie

'I Huckabees'?

Your topic reminded me of it. These days I'm very much more comfortable with not having 'the answers' and just accepting the random events that cross my life in this passage of time I have. I think it's great that they actually don't have any meaning.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thank you proplog for this unexpected "resurrection" (isn't resurrection, btw, about calling the non-being as being, according to Paul's definition in Romans 4:17?) and everybody else for the replies.

VW, don't worry, I'm not sure I always understand what I write either. One great thing btw is that you can still write when you have nothing to say. I would even venture that writing becomes especially interesting from this perspective.

LtCmd.Lore, reminds me of Hamlet's last words: the rest is silence.

Wednesday, thank you for this very beautiful post. I too find it quite comforting.

French rien may be a slightly better word for "nothing" inasmuch as it also (and, etymologically, first) means anything, in interrogative or other irreal mood.

Btw was it "scared" or "sacred" -- or both?

Sass_my_frass: I haven't seen that movie yet. Thanks for the tip.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    It is unmanliest yet, but it contains all

that should be unmanifest, thank you spell check!!

yes the word was sacred, thanks again spell check.

if spell check gets a choice between two words it will pick one for you.

• oompa
    oompa

Sorry, I did not have time to read the other posts here yet. But this is an awesome post, and I mean in total.

we came to suspect, often with a measure of terror, that all of this was not what we had thought and might sooner or later turn into... nothing.

I can sure relate to the terror part. Began to supspect it, was afraid, then terrified with the Nothing. I really lost it mentally, maybe for two years. I remember telling the elders it was "not fair" to do this to me, to hide things, to change things, to fvck me up this much.

not fair I say...I liked something not nothing....oompa

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is possibly my favourite thread. And it deserves a bump if we really are going to disappear into nothing in the near future.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

bttt

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

omg ghostly voices from the past (our emoticons are diminishing - what has happened to the shock emoticon)

edit: what I mean is I'm amazed at how much my thinking has been influenced by these sorts of discussions

• Twitch
    Twitch

Great thread

Nihilism ain't that bad, nothing to fear,....;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit