everything is nothing...without you

'i don't see your face' - the irony 2005

• found-my-way
  • tijkmo
    tijkmo

lol @ fmw

• Warlock
    Warlock

Note my suprise when I clicked on to your thread, Nark, and thought it was going to be a blank post.

Is NOTHING sacred anymore? Can we no longer take NOTHING at face value? In our complicated, modern age, is even NOTHING, being turned into SOMETHING?

Warlock

• bebu
    bebu
    Having something to say about nothing is not the least of contradictions -- to which this post is no exception.

That's what 'speaks' to me . IMO what seems to be ultimately real (nothing) has already got a problem with being ultimate. It should not be so absurdly infringed so far as to even have onlookers.

That said, I like the comment that when we state something, it's as if we've already negated it. We suddenly think of the other point of view. I don't think that this observation proves the strength of nothing, so much as it reveals our limited perspectives. It's humbling, and healthy (imo).

Perhaps we can know a tiny shred of 'something', even though we likely know mostly nothing?

bebu

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

That was deep Black Unicorn!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Looking back, I think my main motive for writing this topic (instead of leaving it empty, to Warlock's disappointment) was to address the fear of nothing many of us find on their way -- a fear that often scares us into additional, unnecessary painful and vain experiences. As Pascal put it, " All human evil comes from a single cause, man's inability to sit still in a room. "

Ironically, even writing this is just as vain.

"Nothing" may be an end (as well as a beginning inasmuch as it proves to be the "other side" of "everything"), that doesn't make it a goal. It deserves no enthusiasm and no hurry.

I would count the Tao te ching among the best approaches to its paradoxical "value," though.

A couple of memories which were in the back of my mind as I was writing.

"Nothing" (moo) is what filmmaker Yasujiro Ozu (a wonderfully simple and sober painter of Japanese society between tradition and the influence of Western modernity) had written on his tombstone.

"Nothing" (indenting) is the first word pronounced after months of silence by the actress who suddenly stopped speaking in the midst of a rehearsal, realising that "everything is false," in Ingmar Bergman's movie Persona. I would recommend that one to bebu particularly (re: "what one doesn't say another has to say"); it's one of the most audacious approaches to the borders of "identity" I have ever seen.

Peace to all.

• BFD
    BFD

Ask for nothing and you shall receive it in abundance.

BFD

• Terry
    Terry

Religion, God, faith and belief are forced into our nothing.

Our mother does it to us and our father.

Our group, society and nation jam it into us like stuffing into a dead turkey carcass.

Like addictive chemicals coursing through our brain these substances of elusive promise and dread unlock our greatest desires and trigger our darkest terrors.

We suddenly find we aren't just a person in a room. We are the object and not the subject of our life.

We are watched, scrutinized, prodded and tested by unseen eyes of judgement and temptation.

We are the star of a drama. Will our audition for life everlasting bring reward? Or, will we never receive a callback?

Addictive, insidious and malevolent as these conceptual timebombs are when they enter our nothing---they have power.

Should we banish them to disbelief, exorcise them into the void, then, our empty room fills up with consciousness of self.

We become our own. We live as we will to live. Our life is ours once more. The eyes watching us are no more. The whispers are but an echo of other people's fears.

Nothing is cool and efficient and sharp as Occam's Razor.

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

ahhh another thread where Nark makes "music with words." I love it.

***the fear of nothing many of us find on their way -- a fear that often scares us into additional, unnecessary painful and vain experiences****

that fear of *nothing* was paralyzing and made me quite literally lose my mind for awhile. it wasn't the fact of having nothing that was so scary, it's *anticipating* the thought that you may have nothing that is so paralyzing. when you come face to face with that monster and look in it's eyes you find it's not *too* scary. ;) ha! yeah right.

it's curious to me that the idea of having nothing was so scary to me once upon a time. I rather like having no definite lines or labels any longer. it's quite comfortable to me to learn to shed the ego and have *nothing*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit