I can't believe they just sat there...

by troubled mind 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

How sad for some jokester to wreck your wedding. I also hated those "brothers" that thought their inappropriate humor was so funny. I am sure there were many woman inside that were angry with what he said. That is what you learn as a good little JW wife, is to hide the rage that is playing in your head.

On the flip side I went to a friend's wedding on Saturday. She is Irish, so deciced to have a celtic wedding. It was beautiful. Her and her daughter's have blonde hair to their waists, they had their hair flowing with flowers around their hair, white dresses, and had no shoes on. Celtic music was playing, the groom had on a kilt, and they all had on the colors that represented their families. I felt like it was part of the movie that Mel Gibson was in. The men were HOT. Anyways, isn't it nice that we now can experience all different types of weddings, instead of the old hum drum weddings at the KH.

Leslie

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

TM they probably just sat there because they have learned to tune the speaker out. Half the time at the meetings etc I couldn't tell you what was said afterwards.

BB

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Sad but so glad that I don't have to be around any of it, just reading your thread brings up many old memories that I feel the same, we just sat there and took it.

abr

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Ahhh yes .. that "sheer zombie" look ... I remember it well. That's what they call the "christian wife's look of submission". Thank heavens my husband isn't JW!!!

At least the couple getting married were over 20 ......a rarity for witness weddings.

A rarity indeed! Maybe it was their second marriage ....

• heyfea
    heyfea

TM

such comments regarding women are heard often in the meetings too. One day I've heard something so upsetting that I can't ever forget. A brother said from the pulpit that a JW home should be the cleanest in the neighborhood; that the wife should sweep her apartment EVERY day. This made my blood boil because he didn't say SOMEONE in the household should do it, he said the WIFE. He completely ignored the fact that most of us women work outside the home to help the men who cannot support a household on their own. :-(

• themonster123
    themonster123

I laughed when I read your line about "At least they were over 20- a rarity for a Witness wedding." On a similar note,

MY aunt was 18 when she got married
    my cousin: 18!
    my other cousin: 21-ha
    my OTHeR cousin: 18
    and..my OTHER cousin: 20.

I'm glad when I finally DO get married, I'll be old enought to drink...at my OWN wedding.

And are you for real about the speaker saying "no clinking of the glasses?" OR are you just adding that for comic relief?

• need i remind you
    need i remind you

I don't want to place doubt on your wedding story, but, of all the kingdom halls I been to and all the elders I listened to over the years, I have never heard of a story like that one. Sounds more like something a "Ultra Holiness" or "United Pentecostal" or "Church Of God" minister would say- not a JW minister. But I guess each congregation is a bit different from the other.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

This should not shock you. For decades JW women are taught they are the dumber weaker sex.

• BEROEAN
    BEROEAN

I remember being at a Catholic wedding and they couldn't find the Preist. They found him doing the Altar boy in the rectory! The stupid parishoners just stood there baffled! Finally a Nun blurts out, "Timmy wanted to know if he could take an A-N-N-A-L"! The church filled with laughter and little Timmy learned a valuable lesson that day.

Another time, I remember my brother and his fiance going over some pre-wedding counseling with their baptist minister when the minister started asking sexual questions! When he wanted my brothers fiance to demonstrate with a banana, my brother punched the minister! Come to find out, Rev. Fairchild had made it a habit of giving unsuspecting young wives some of his "Sword of Salavation".

• willyloman
    willyloman
    but in all my 35 years of being a JW - and many weddings- I have NEVER seen nor heard anything like that.

In my 30 years as a dub, I HAVE heard things like this, many time. At one wedding, the inarticulate, questionably unqualified "Elder" used the phrase "Wham-bam, Thank you, Ma'am" and that was during the "wedding talk" (clearly not from the outline). One groom got up and thanked the entire audience for "not talking about us during our engagement," whatever the hell that meant. We walked out of one JW wedding (and I was an elder).I could go on. You've lived a sheltered life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit