I can't believe they just sat there...

by troubled mind 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I'm glad when I finally DO get married, I'll be old enought to drink...at my OWN wedding

sister in my old hall wasn't old enough to drink at her wedding

and it's 18 in the uk

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Hopefully this will be my last witness wedding client I just can't stomach being around all that again for a whole day .

Just double the price for JW clients. If you still get the jobs you'll make some extra money. You can also be happy knowing that the more they pay you, the less they'll have left over to donate to the cult.

W

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I think that was just his lame attempt at humor...which was taken straight from an older, less PC time.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember when my brother got married and several workmates of his attended the wedding, including the vice-president of the company. I happened to know one of the guys and after the wedding he asked me about the whole subjection thing. He said that his wife was somewhat taken aback by that part of the "ceremony" (read "wedding talk"). My brother told me later that a couple of other guys said that their wives were upset by the speaker's comments on the subjection bit. He said one guy joked that he might have to become a member so he can make his wife subject to him.

It's interesting that JWs (and I did it too) just sit there and nothing stuns them or makes them think or, God forbid, question the statements made. But bring non-JWs to a JW meeting, wedding or funeral and they'll be quick to disagree or question the things said.

My brother's wedding and the reactions from "worldly" people always kind of stuck with me. It was one of those, "maybe we're off center here" kind of thoughts that was pushed deep into my subconscience, not to be resurrected until years later when other issues had me questioning everything.

• daystar
    daystar

During the part about the woman's role the speaker made the comment to the new bride ,"don't try to manipulate your husband .....we know how you women can be ...!"

My jaw noticeably dropped and I uddered " What the heck " as I looked around to look for support from other women there,. I was stunned by the sheer zombie look in their eyes .Fake canned laughter followed this imbiciles dumb comments

You can't believe they just sat there? What did you expect them to do? Jump up in the middle of the wedding and denounce the elder's speech?

I think that would have been a worse thing to do at the wedding ultimately, though his remark is certainly a blemish on the poor woman's wedding.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Oh, Brother Mad! You do give me a chuckle!

Well, TM- I freely admit our dumb mistakes & flaws-but in all my 35 years of being a JW - and many weddings- I have NEVER seen nor heard anything like that. You must have been in a congregation of phonies...if you are not exaggerating!

Agape,

the Mad JW

Definition:

1. agape - with the mouth wide open as in wonder or awe; "the gaping audience"; "we stood there agape with wonder"; "with mouth agape"

My jaw noticeably dropped and I uddered " What the heck " as I looked around to look for support from other women there,. I was stunned by the sheer zombie look in their eyes .

Nice show of solidarity, Mad! I would have been agape, too!

BB

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

My best mate when I was a Witness approached the elder who was giving the wedding talk and told him very clearly that he didn't want to hear ONE word in the talk about menstrual cycles and how a Christian husband should be aware of his wife's feelings at this time

The elder was the brides father!!!!!!!!!

The thing was that I have been to many weddings when this was mentioned as "fine and appropriate counsel" for a newly wed couple - and we never really thought that it was in bad taste

What the hell must non-Witness relatives have thought

On the other hand I went to a wedding fairly recently and the pastor thought that it was quite appropriate to tell the congregation what a fine example Christian marriage was in a world where STD's were at epidemic levels ( he did name several but I can't spell gonnaeria!!!) I was disgusted at his total lack of decorum and sense of occasion.

• xjwms
    xjwms

T M

I am sure the speaker was trying to get a laugh.

If not then that was just stupid.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I can remember as a child of no more than twelve, a brother giving a Sunday talk about marriage. He was a bit of a horse's behind anyway, but at one point he admonished the wives in the congregation not to use the ploy of staying up late after their husbands went to bed in order to avoid their "wifely duties." My mother was aghast! I didn't know what exactly he was talking about, because after dad went to bed was when all the good TV shows were on.

Anyhoo, my mom unexpectedly came down pregnant shortly thereafter with a 'bonus baby.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit