If someone is going to buy you a birthday or christmas gift.....

by bagpuss 15 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    What would you do or say in this situation?

Grant her request, buy them nothing.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What would you do or say in this situation?

I would do nothing as requested and say nothing in reply. Also act surprised if she ever dares to ask about the derth of gifts.

• Mum
    Mum

My ex-husband and his family said they did not like surprises, so they asked one another what they wanted. I was just the opposite. With the surprise element, you do get gifts that make you wonder if they even see you!

A lot of people just go buy a bunch of a particular item and pass the same thing out to everybody. I call that thoughtless giving.

Regards,

SandraC

• Sassy
    Sassy

sounds ungrateful to me.. isn't it the thought behind the gift that counts? I guess you could ask for a wish list if they are so insistant only getting something they 'want'... rather than assume you put no thought into it...

I think it is tacky though..

My recent ex always had to ask his mother what she wanted for her birthday.. It used to piss me off... I like to put a lot of time thinking about what to get someone....

• dobbie
    dobbie

I think that was really rude of her!

What i did last xmas was ask most people what they would like, and got them that and then also chose a small extra present as well. Though even if you ask them it doesn't meant they'll be happy, as i saw one of my gifts on ebay 2 wks after xmas! Personally i don't mind if they ask or not, i don't expect anything and i don't really need anything either tbh, but it also depends on whether you like surprises or not as well i suppose. My mum and sister asked me for my birthday and i was glad because i will be needing maternity clothes so they kindly gave me vouchers.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Etiquette does not allow for a person to complain about gifts to the giver, or make demands about the gifts.

OTOH I am always receiving gifts I could never use in a million years from people who never come to my house and know nothing about what I need/like. I sell them for a third their worth on ebay, give them away, or return them to the store (without a receipt, so I get less than they paid).

I hate waste so I do really wish they would ask me what I need or give me gift certificates instead. It is such a waste of their money and their (and my) time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit