How many remember the 1969 8 day convention?

by seek2find 110 Replies latest jw experiences

• Toshiro Mifune
    Toshiro Mifune

I remember that assembly. I was a teenager and we drove from Southern California to Vancouver, B.C., Canada. We were in a van -- the passenger list grew from five people to eight. The last "sister" to join the group was a middle-aged nymphomaniac who had just been reinstated after being disfellowshipped for a notorious episode of congregational adultery. The woman had serious issues -- but it made for an entertaining drive.

The Society could have distilled the entire eight days down to a 10-second tape for all that I can remember. I do remember the moon landing -- watching it on TV late at night. I also remember that on the first day of the assembly a "sister" was killed (I think crossing a nearby amusement park). The Witness buzz concerning this was -- she obviously didn't have Jehovah's spirit protecting her at this special theocratic event. I recall thinking: Oh great, the woman hasn't been dead for five hours and she's already been declared a heretic.

There were several books released at that assemble. The first edition of the abbreviated "Aid" book, "The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures," (who in hell was picking out those colors?); "Is the Bible Really the Word of God," which, upon my return, I promptly placed with a return visit, an atheist Catholic monk at the local historic California mission; and, "Then is Finished the Mystery of God" -- which, according to an elderly brother behind the book counter, was gonna be the book that would see us into the Great Tribulation. (I'm sure he's dead now.)

TM

• YoungAmerican
    YoungAmerican

I was at the assembly at old Cominski Park in Chicago too! We arrived by school bus as our hall was from Chicago (Uptown Congregation). I remember the tents, those tall wood tables we had to stand at to eat. I don't remember seeing the moon landing though. That was actually shown at the assembly???? I was only 8 at the time so I really don't remember anything. I only had to pretent like I was listening, I learned how to day dream alot from those days just to keep from dying of boredom.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I'm sure I was there - my father always worked at the assemblies, and often went to more than just one. He loved doing that - meeting people etc.

I don't really remember though - because I would have only been about 7 months old!

BB

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The 1969 8 day convention..The best place to be was in Vancouver BC..Because..The best amusement park in BC was right next door..This Dub Kid made sure the assembly was not boreing..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

It was right next to a large amusement park. There was a huge roller coaster

Do you remember the sister who cut through the amusement park and over the roller-coaster who was killed when hit by one of the roller-coaster cars? It was in all the newspapers.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Me and wife Karen were at kansas city.

8 hot horrible days. Rapes, murders, black panthers.

I think it was the same week as the men first walked on the moon.

we stayed at a new apartment complex, on the floor.

Went to the Gilead Meeting and met Brother Jehovah God Knorr. He acted like a total asshole during the Gilead Meeting and I never respected him again for the next 36 years that I was in.

What I would give to turn the clock back and slap the ship out of knorr.

And leave.

Brant

• Makena1
    Makena1

Emma, I was in Chicago as well - the old White Sox park if I recall. I was 14 or 15 and played clarinet in the orchestra. In addition to enduring 8 days in Chicago, we also made the trip to Europe. Al Schroeder and his son Judah Ben were on the flight with us from NY to Paris. We spent 3 days in Nuremburg. Dad was missionary in Belgium so we attended the Dutch speaking sessions in a smaller stadium. The only talk I understood was the public talk on Sunday that Knorr delivered. I was also at the 1958 assembly at Yankee Stadium. It's amazing to me how my mother managed, pregnant with 2 small boys, while my dad was off interpreting and playing in the orchestra. Only a few diehards would put up with that kind of inconvenience today!!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1958 Assembly at Yankee Stadium..I was there too!..Just a little kid then,but I remember it..We were driving down the road,my Dad had an Awake taped to the back window of the car.All the JW`s did back in those days..This kid was riding his bike and rode it past the drivers side of the car..My dads window was open..As soon as the kid got to the window he says:"What did Joe the Hobo Witness?"..LOL!!..I was young,but I`ll never forget that...OUTLAW

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey, Justitia, Sphere, and Outlaw!

I was at the Vancouver, BC convention too. I was 6 years old and could not sneak off to the amusement park next door. It was at the Empire Stadium and it is now torn down. The huge rollercoaster that was right next door is still there though, and a main attraction. I don't remember all 8 days or any of the talks, I just remember it was sooooo loooong. I remember the sunny, hot days, with every one frying and putting up sun umbrellas. And I remember the rainy days with everyone's books getting wet and putting up same (now rain) umbrellas. I remember sleeping on my mother's lap for most of it and constantly asking her when it was going to be over. Also the huge long food lines for full meals! That was the best part. Justitia, I think it went from 9am to 9pm! We did not have to travel though because we lived right in Vancouver a couple of miles away.

Unless there was an international convention, most years it was held at the Coliseum at the other end of the same park. There was a chairlift that went from the Coliseum to the Empire Stadium. When I was 10, my best friend and I each told our parents we were going to sit with each other's families. Then we caught the chair life over to the other side of the amusement park and I went on that huge rollercoaster for the first time! Scared the shit out of me! lol. But I have loved rollercoasters ever since. It is rated as one of the best old wooden rollercoaster in North America. There were lots of teens (and adults) who skipped out to go to the amusement park. The brothers finally caught on and made an announcement that all children and teens need to sit with their parents. Our fun was busted!

Cog

• Open mind
    Open mind

Vancouver, B.C.

I would love to relate a couple funny stories but if any lurker "friends" or dub family were to read them, they'd know it was me.

And yes, one of the stories relates to the amusement park.

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit