How many remember the 1969 8 day convention?

by seek2find 110 Replies latest jw experiences

• seek2find
    seek2find

Anybody remember the 8 day 1969 International convention. I was at the Braves Stadium in Atlanta all 8 days with a sunburn and then wet clothes after the rain storms. If you were there (not necessarily in Atlanta) do you remember anything about it? seek2find

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

I was there. I was only 4 years old back then, I do remember the rainy days. I do not remember that much.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Was at Kansas City at the campgrounds in some farmer's field. No running water for 8 days. I remember being bused to the campsite every night. The sessions ended about 9pm and it was really late when we finially got back.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

We attending the Vancouver, B.C. convention. Not only was it 8 days, but it started early and ended very late...like around 8:00 p.m. if I remember correctly.

Justitia

• minimus
    minimus

I was 13 in NYC at Yankee Stadium. All I remember is that I was hot and those damn little battery operated fans do nothing for you in 90 degree heat and oppressive humidity.

• seek2find
    seek2find

I think that may have been the 1st year for "Drama's" One that stands out in my mind was called "Let no man look down on your youth" Many there were shocked by some of the content of the drama. Kinda brazen even by worldly standards for 1969. In the deep south especially. seek2find

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hey minimus were close to the same age. seek2find

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was 8. Our family went to the one at the old Comiskey stadium in Chicago.

I remember nothing at all about the program, except that it went into the night. We took the shuttle to the convention site, either for safety reasons or there wasn't enough parking.

The stadium at 36th street was right at the dividing line between the "white" and "black" neighborhoods. We white people were not supposed to go south of 36th, and the black conventioneers were supposed to stay south of that line. I heard a story (rumor?) of a murder of someone who crossed the boundaries during the convention.

Also, one day there was a huge rainstorm between sessions. The rumor was that this rain was a blessing from Jehovah, because it supposedly foiled a planned robbery of the convention.

I also remember long lines to get the hot food in the tents outside. The food was the best part, and pretty good organization to feed over 40,000 people.

Oh -- also the first moon landing and moonwalk was televised live one night while we were at the convention. I was too young, I couldn't stay awake for it. The convention was "one long sleep for man, one giant sleep for mankind".

• bernadette
    bernadette

8 days finishing at 9pm???????

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

One that stands out in my mind was called "Let no man look down on your youth" Many there were shocked by some of the content of the drama.
    I remember that drama. I was 12 yo at the time. I found it rather titilating. But because I was only 12, I didn't know why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit