How many remember the 1969 8 day convention?

by seek2find 110 Replies latest jw experiences

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is a great blast from the past. I see that I posted 10 years ago to this thread. In some ways this was the good old days of being in the organization.

• flipper
    flipper

The only saving grace for me was getting my JW mom or dad to buy me the grape flavored snow cones at lunch time at Dodger stadium in Los Angeles. Eating those 2 or 3 snow cones a day was the ONLY thing that got me through those 8 day assemblies at age 10 years old. I swear to god. Peace out, Mr. flipper

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I was 15 years old when we went to the Atlanta 8 day convention. If there is a real burning hell, back in 1969 in Atlanta was a great example of what it might be like. LOL. Still Totally ADD

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Yeah...a blast from the past.

Someone had mentioned travelling to Winnipeg from Chicago for the 1966 assembly. I was there too!

And the Peace on Earth assembly - Vancouver BC 1969:

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

"If there is a real burning hell, back in 1969 in Atlanta"

Clyde and I were in our 20's and we had our 2-year old boy with us. Mid-week Clyde got sick, it was so hot and humid. He had to stay back at the hotel for the air-conditioning, but dutifully I took our son to the assembly. FINALLY, Sunday morning Clyde said, "We are leaving!" I was shocked as I felt it was our duty to stay for the entire week. But we left and drove up into the mountains of North Carolina, and I can't describe the relief. Clyde almost immediately got better with the cooler mountain air. We've talked about that miserable assembly for years.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I was there at the Vancouver assembly in 69, thanks for posting that.

I especially like the picture of the Roller Coaster in the background where I spent a lot of time during that assembly, even during the sessions.

My father would ask .. boys where were you sitting I didn't see you ?

Oh we were sitting high up dad ...... oh OK

• bsmart
    bsmart

Went to the 69 assembly in Vancouver, my sister drove as I didn't drive then. She is still in and one of her sons, everyone else is out. Saw some cousins, and they are out. We were from Seattle and in those days we didn't need passports.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think there were a lot of JWS kids at the play ground enjoying the rides during that Assembly, for it was open to the public in the afternoons and evenings, you could see the roller coaster going up and down while you were sitting at Empire Stadium.

That assembly started on a Saturday and went to the next Sunday (8 days), 70,000 or so attended the Sunday talk which was a big deal back then for Vancouver.

If it wasn't for the fair ground adjacent to the facilities and there were actually 3 venues being used at the same time, that Assembly would have really sucked.

But after a lot cotton candy, hot dogs and various rides, with a few added throw ups , it was all worth it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yankee Stadium, with minimus.

I was 21 and at Bethel. We had to work so got here early early and left late late -- on the subway! One day it rained and we were all (100,000-plus) stuck inside. Couldn't get to restrooms or food.

On Sunday the crowd expanded out onto the playing field.

WHAT A SHOUT OF PRAISE TO JEHOVAH!

OH! We had to go door-to-door in Queens to find rooms for conventioneers. Not a highlight of my life.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember that CC, the kickoff meeting to find lodging for the visitors

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit