What Have You Learned From JWD?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have learned that we are all still brothers and sisters. No no that can't take that away from us. We have a stronger bond than we ever had while in the org. The thing is that now, for most of us, the scales have fallen off our eyes and hearts and we can love each other truly and sincerely. And we can talk about all the things we always wanted to with each other.

I have learned that all the truly cool people leave the org.

I've learned to express myself better and to stand up for what is truly right and embrace the under dog, something the org. discouraged.

• Francophile
    Francophile

The brief time I've been here on JWD-- and surfed the WWW in general and lived life since my disassociation-- I've learned that that little voice saying "No!" during my JW Bible Study, was right all along.

I listen to that voice now, and golly jeepers, it actually keeps me out of trouble.

I trust myself so much more now, wherein, back then, when I was in low-self-esteem-ville, I was willing to hand over my superego to a bunch of curmudgeons in NYC.

• 5go
    5go

Oh and I forgot

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Liberation, forgiveness, and to wait on time to do the healing.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What have I learned here?

1. I am not alone
    2. I had a right to feel depressed
    3. I had a right to be heard
    4. I had a right to be treated with respect
    5. I had a right to help with my childhod abuse Issues
    6. I had a right to help with the spousal abuse issues
    7. I had a right to use my God-given brain to think clearly
    8. I had a right to my feelings
    9. I had a right to a higher education
    10. I had a right to information that the WTS said was forbidden
    11. I had a right to read whatever I pleased, to watch what I pleased and act as I pleased
    12. That regardless of how many times people have thanked me for my contributions here I still think I have recieved far more than I have given
  • minimus
    minimus

Lee, very well put!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Got one more that is very important

I have learned that:

• many of those who have left are kind, generous, forgiving, loving, intelligent people who have taken the leap forward into the unknown in pursuit of their own sense of self and freedom of body, mind and spirit
    • Apostates are wonderful people
  • XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

That Minimus has an unlimited supply of questions.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    One thing I've come to appreciate is that each congregation and locality do things differently-----even if published information by the Society says otherwise. Even if the "official" answer is supposed to be a certain thing, many bodies of elders make their rules up as they go along. So seeing the perspectives and experiences of different posters has helped me to see how the "unified worldwide brotherhood" really works.

This is true for me as well. When I was studying w/them, it really mattered to me that jw's everywhere did things the same way. I mean, this was a BIG question of mine during my studies and conversations with those who were "spirtitually strong". I had to be sure this was the case and even would speak about jw's in a positive manner using this very point. Afterall, we were taught how wrong other religions are and how they don't do as the true worshitters worshippers do, so to find out people in kh's do their own thing anyway came as a big surprise! It took a little while for me to actually believe others' experiences were true, as I was in denial of it all. Also, all of the scandals, especially the UN one. I've learned what really goes down in Bethel....hehe... I've re-learned to see people as people despite differences in opinion. That's another good point about reading this board when you're coming out and/or doubting--you learn to socialize with people 'just because' rather than having to welcome someone, or talk about spiritual things right away. And you can do it at your pace online before meeting in person.

• flipper
    flipper

My xjw husband and myself never knew about the scandals, for one thing, Mr. Flipper has seen so many here who have gone through what he has, and worse. I had always thought of Jw's as harmless religious nuts - now I know they can do terrible things and have some bizarre beliefs. We both have seen that a great many who leave the borg are on their own and really need the help and support they get here. We are both disgusted and infuriated at what those hypocrites get away with. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit