Why does being right = being arrogant?

by AlmostAtheist 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena
    Xena..Don`t know when we`re going to cross paths again..Just wanted to say Hey!..And..Wish you and Little Toe the best!...OUTLAW

Thank you Outlaw.

Besides, arrogance is a perceived act. I suppose I could say arrogance is in the eye of the beholder. Body language can mean a million things. Sometimes we will be right in our assessment, other times we won't. Also, body language is affected by culture. What in one culture we may call one thing arrogance in another they may call it something else.

True. I've had people tell me I come across at times as snippy when I'm actually (in my mind anyway) being direct. Of course after a few people told me that same thing I looked again at how I was communicating and tried to soften it a bit so that I'm not perceived incorrectly. Perhaps if someone is continually told they come across as arrogant they might reasses how they are communicating?

• Terry
    Terry
    What is it about a person's believing they are "right" that leads them to being arrogant? You've surely noticed that the more sure a person is that he's right, the more likely he is to treat those that disagree with him with disrespect. Why?

A lot of people want the right to have--not just an opinion--but their own facts!

Anybody who challenges such a person is in danger of bursting their bubble utterly.

They cannot fall back on reasoned response, so; the ploy becomes attacking the person: ad hominem.

Arrogance has nothing to do with the facts of an argument. Facts are facts.

Treating others with especial grace, charm and tender mittens has never worked either.

A debate opponent who wants to have their feelings hurt will find a way no matter how genteel your approach.

We all want to be treated humanely. However, if we base our belief system on emotion and reputation rather than logic and reason we are apt to find ourselves in a heap of misery when our assertions are shot down. Then, the tears beging to flow.

Most complainers about arrogance are just whining cry-babies without much of an argument!

So there! (He shouts arrogantly!)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    That arrogance thing also might be related to testosterone.

Oh contra ire, Jgnat ... The female members of the family would never give an inch and resort to name calls when a reasoned argument is given to them ..

Religion even more that politics encourages a dogmatic approach - if you disagree then you are not only in the wrong, but you are sinning by not believing (and we know what God does to wilful sinners !) I know, I see it and experience it most days of my life.

BTW people who are dogmatic about that are dogmatic about other things too. If they don't like it, be it music , a tv show, food..then it must be rubbish and people are fools if they enjoy it..Is that not true?

joining this board is great for having your opinions challenged. If you can't take it then you wont last long.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>What in one culture we may call one thing arrogance in another they may call it something else.

Too true, and a very good point.

>>A lot of people want the right to have--not just an opinion--but their own facts!

Yup, this is a problem. Everyone needs to recognize that if they've ever changed their minds about anything, they will likely do so again someday. No point in dogmatically asserting something today that you very well may drop altogether tomorrow.

>>Anybody who challenges such a person is in danger of bursting their bubble utterly.

Or simply wasting their time.

>>Treating others with especial grace, charm and tender mittens has never worked either.

I agree to an extent. But there's also the wonderful rush that comes from someone saying, "You have a good point". If you can say that to someone that has stomped on you, even if it's only something small, you stand a better chance of having a good discussion on the points you DON'T agree on. Not sure that qualifies as "tender mittens", but it does seem to work. (Of course, if there's NOTHING you agree with... well...)

>>Most complainers about arrogance are just whining cry-babies without much of an argument!

Oh yeah? Well.. you're ... you're just a big, arrogant, POOPY-HEAD! *runs off crying* :-P

Dave

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Because being right means that someone else is wrong. The one thing that the Left would have us believe is that there is no right or wrong only opinions, but that certain opinions have more value than other opinions. They even go so far as to state that some opinions are so valueless that they should not even be uttered. Quite a contradiction coming from the same crowd that espouses tolerance as the highest of human virtues. Tolerance and zero tolerance are contradictory ideas.

• new boy
    new boy

The EGO wants two things to be "right" and to "Have more"

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'd have to agree. In last weeks God vs Not debate, the pro-God guy was arrogant, and it got in the way of his argument.... "poor, poor little atheists..." He couldn't argue properly because he couldn't start his argument from a place of reason; it started with his beliefs and got stuck there. He was so sure of those that he didn't actually say anything at all.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Because being right means that someone else is wrong. The one thing that the Left would have us believe is that there is no right or wrong only opinions, but that certain opinions have more value than other opinions. They even go so far as to state that some opinions are so valueless that they should not even be uttered. Quite a contradiction coming from the same crowd that espouses tolerance as the highest of human virtues. Tolerance and zero tolerance are contradictory ideas.

What is this Left of which you speak? Does it have anything to do with The George Soros Jewish Media Empire and Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy? I heard if you join his evil cause, you get 4 free abortions and a burnt American flag, straight from Iraq!! I SO wanna join.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit