Why does being right = being arrogant?

by AlmostAtheist 47 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Staying open minded is the only way to allow ourselves to progress

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I tend to think that if a person feels that they are right on something, then giving in even an inch would mean defeat.

Truthfully, I don't think many people have worked out how respect others when they debate things. Most people view it as 'win at all costs', sacrificing reason and respect for bloody victory.

Personally I would rather end a debate in supposed defeat and go back rethink my position, looking to see if I had possibly saw something wrong or hadn't clearly understood all angles. This is much more appealing to me than simply fighting to the death in a ball of flaming arrogence.

But that's just me.

-Drew

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I tend to think that if a person feels that they are right on something, then giving in even an inch would mean defeat.

Truthfully, I don't think many people have worked out how respect others when they debate things. Most people view it as 'win at all costs', sacrificing reason and respect for bloody victory.

Personally I would rather end a debate in supposed defeat and go back rethink my position, looking to see if I had possibly saw something wrong or hadn't clearly understood all angles. This is much more appealing to me than simply fighting to the death in a ball of flaming arrogence.

But that's just me.

-Drew

Drew, I'm am so ready to battle with you on your position! I'll prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that................................................................................................................................just kidding.

Nvr

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

My experience (learned at the University of Hard Knocks!) is that arrogance can indeed be a respose to insecurity.

Two different Electrical Engineers come to mind:

- One was extremely capable (very close to being brilliant), yet he still related well to everybody else in what was a multi-disciplined crew.

- The other,however, was very ordinary to say the least!
    Yet, he appeared to try to cover for his mediocrity by being arrogant.
    His mediocrity did little enough to help the project along
    (I actually had to do most of his work - assisted by the Electrician in charge).
    However, added to that; his arrogance did little to build up the teamwork that was so necessary in that kind of a project.

It could well be that most don't exactly enjoy being wrong (although that may have a lot to do with how much emotional investment they have made in being right!).
    Whatever, though, the distress caused by being proven wrong:
    - arrogant behaviour is ALWAYS resented, only adds to that distress.

Jack.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Being right=being arrogant..If your 12yrs old.....Have you thought about laughing at people like that???..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Xena
    Xena
    Yup. Contarywise, I LIKE being wrong. If I hadn't been stupendously wrong at one point in my life and embraced it and done something about it I would still be a Dubbie - and that i true for many here. Being wrong means I can learn something. I do however have high standards of proof and someone has to really prove they are right; but when they do, fine. I don't invest my ego in ignoring facts.

Same here.

The reason I joined a discussion board was because I wanted to have my thoughts and ideas challanged. It makes you think about what you believe and why...and sometimes make some changes therein. Course that doesn't mean I'm not right from time to time.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Xena..Don`t know when we`re going to cross paths again..Just wanted to say Hey!..And..Wish you and Little Toe the best!...OUTLAW

• Warlock
    Warlock

Arrogance is easy on a discussion board. Try it in person.

Warlock

• vomit
    vomit

People that need everybody to hear that they are right are more often than not trying to struggle with believing the issue themselves. JWs are the best example of this. Trying to reinforce utter bull and shout it from the platform.

A person who has the facts an is very confident in their position doesn't care what even the majority thinks is right. It works both ways though, a stupid person can feel quite confident, but they lack the facts.

• tapout1
    tapout1

To answer that question all we have to do is look in the mirror. You guys are to tell me that never have you acted arrogantly towards anybody? If so, then you have the answer. It's a matter of honesty. Besides, arrogance is a perceived act. I suppose I could say arrogance is in the eye of the beholder. Body language can mean a million things. Sometimes we will be right in our assessment, other times we won't. Also, body language is affected by culture. What in one culture we may call one thing arrogance in another they may call it something else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit