Sincere Question to Anyone who Believes in God

by Big Tex 84 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

big tex, you don't sound stupid at all my friend. these are big, BIG issues you are coming to grips with. wrapping your head around these ideas means that while you are trying to do so, you are constantly confronted by your own mortality. and that ain't easy.

at any rate, this death thing is not obvlivion. it's only a cessation of consciousness (seems like obvlivion to you now). which means that 99% of what makes you *you*, (physically), will still be around an hour after your consciousness has disapeared from this universe.

so this brings up a further existential issue: how acquainted is your "conscious mind" with this other 99% of *you*? do you identify *yourself* with ALL of you (every cell, even toe nail cells), or only with your mind?

imho, this is a question that you will need to answer for yourself before you can be at peace with yourself in the Now, which means being at peace with death, life after death, and this so-called God. but in answering the question, you will find that there is a further implication of responsibility on your part. in answering the question it should be obvious that if you only identify yourself with your conscious mind, and not with everything else (in addition), then you will always have issues with life after death and God (note the uppercase "G").

happy trails my fellow traveler,

tetra

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions
    what if there really is a God -- a Power Greater than myself?
    who has kept track of every misdeed, every misstep, every error, every "incorrect" thought I've ever had in my miserable and pointless life;

The wages of sin is death, all sin. For us some sins are worse than others, but to God all sin separates us from Him. But Jesus came and died for all, that when we believe and trust in Him we will have eternal life. So I don’t believe that God has a score card. By grace we are saved; we cannot save ourselves no matter how much we do. That for me is very comforting; that I don’t have to do back-flips to please Him. I’m too old for that anyway (back-flips)

I see the afterlife, if there is one, as being even more grim than this life.

I believe in an afterlife that will be wonderful, too wonderful to really imagine. The bible says that there will be no more pain, hunger, tears, no more suffering.

I think we sometimes get glimpses here on earth what it will be like. The feeling you get when you see a happy baby laughing, really good music, a bird chirping, a beautiful sunny day, a sunset, when you really connect with a person, even for a moment, these are cherished moments.

Think of moments in your life that were wonderful, even if for a moment, that feeling of utter contentment, it may be just a fleeting moment. I think eternal life will be like that but amplified, and continual not sporadic. Utter bliss that’s how I see it. The music will be more wonderful, the flowers will be more fragrant, more beautiful,(can’t imagine-brings me to the song-link below for anyone interested), tastes, smell, colours.

http://www.andiesisle.com/icanonlyimagine.html

I imagine Beethoven conducting the orchestra (he can now hear & he’s not cantankerous), the music is playing and then the people start singing Ode to Joy. What a glorious thing that would be. For someone else it will be a different fantasy. Just imagining here. Because we’re all so different will we have different experiences? To see family members that have passed on. Will I converse with the likes of Beethoven. Isaac Newton, John Newton, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Einstein, Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln, Mother Theresa, even Elvis Presley

I haven't read most of the replies but am looking forward to it tonight.

• Liza
    Liza

Well, I noticed four main universial things about religion:

1.Afterlife or reincarnation
    2.A creator, or creators
    3.Morals and wisdom
    4.A source of evil, whether it be in a demon, evil god, or man's own mentality(for example desire in Buddism)

I noticied consitencies in all world religions, which is one of my reasons for beleiving there is something out there. Sometimes I wonder if elephants have a religon since they grieve their dead. Humans also don't take death very well and need to grieve.

So if there is an afterlife, this grief makes me wonder if it's such a good place afterall :/

• RAF
    RAF

Since I'm scared to forget one name ... I'm not going to put any ... MEN !!! WOW ... I've really EAT most of the answers I've read here ... INSPIRING !!! It feels good ...

Big Tex : Sorry you are still dealing with your old demons I hope your soul will find inner peace (for yourself and those who needs you to be happy).

Oooh ... since I've cut it to past it (cause I fell so close to what he said)

Axeman ...

Why am I a christian I sometimes ask myself and to be perfectly honest the reasons reduce to ... Jesus Brilliant untamed tender creative slippery irreducible paradoxically humble - Jesus stands up to scrutiny. He is who I want my God to be'

Wow ... I like the way you've put it !!!

Is this thread INSPIRED OR WHAT ??? Humm I wonder

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Well, Chris, the first thing you'll probably hear when you approach the Throne o' Judgement is "Sorry! Sorry! Can't come in. The correct answer was Mormonism! Yes, Mormonism!"

--------------------------------

All kidding aside, there are so many competing philosophies and religions out there. Boggles the mind trying to comprehend them all. It's exhausting even to try. Why not do your own experiment and ask for God to contact you and see what shows up in your life. It would seem to me if there is a God and you ask to know if he is real, he can certainly find a way of transmitting that information to you. Otherwise he wouldn't own up to his own title now, would he?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Because it's the only version that makes any sense of you feeling stupid, insecure and worthless and yet accepts and loves you as you are "warts and all".

At the risk of imitating Milton, how I dealt with abuse was to accept the concept that (1) I am on my own and all that, that implies; and (2) there would never be any relief, or savior the reasons why are irrelevent. No one was going to come save or help me. Not just once, but over and over and over. Despair is not an easy thing to overcome, but I did it by accepting that the hand I was dealt was a bad one. Perhaps 500 years ago, a priest would have said it was my destiny. Dunno, but either way it doesn't change the reality of this life.

And if this life is that way, my poor brain cannot help but wonder if the next is similar or, consistently, worse.

Please understand I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative. I really appreciate reading everyone's thoughts, as it helps ground me. I do not expect there to be a black-and-white answer (been there done that). I just want to understand.

imho, this is a question that you will need to answer for yourself before you can be at peace with yourself in the Now, which means being at peace with death , life after death , and this so-called God . but in answering the question, you will find that there is a further implication of responsibility on your part. in answering the question it should be obvious that if you only identify yourself with your conscious mind, and not with everything else (in addition), then you will always have issues with life after death and God

Interesting, very interesting. Actually I think you're very perceptive. And I do agree with you that there is more than a little fragmentation, but in a way of explanation, I think of it more as scarring of trauma. If that makes sense. I know I keep mentioning that shit, but I find it is part of who I am. It doesn't define me, but it is part of me, and it is a part that I do not like.

Hiya babyface. Billions and billions of merci beau coup to you.

Well, Chris, the first thing you'll probably hear when you approach the Throne o' Judgement is "Sorry! Sorry! Can't come in. The correct answer was Mormonism! Yes, Mormonism!"

Yeah that's right MD, make me snort wine up my nose! Serves me right for drinking on duty Actually I could handle that, just as long as I don't have to see Satan and Saddam together again.

Why not do your own experiment and ask for God to contact you and see what shows up in your life.

Not really interested in religion, or religious thought which I differentiate from spirituality. Probably a technicality, but then again I work for lawyers.

But yeah I'm kind of hearing the need for listening to silence in this thread. I've tried before without much luck. Maybe I should switch stations.

Hope you're doing well. Give a big howdy to Jade for me.

Chris

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

God allowing wickedness is difficult to fathom. Jesus died 2000 years ago, so God was 'legally' able to end wickedness 2000 years ago, but did not.

I prefer the new age belief that we are on earth to learn. We enter heaven to be debriefed after death, and reincarnate back to earth until we have learnt and grown enough spiritually to move permanently to higher spiritual planes.

What to believe? Every religion has their experiences that are used as proof of their beliefs. (JWs are spiritually poor in this regard, as they have little support beyond a doctrinal rhetoric and conversion experiences) Christianity have miracles. Psychics have past and between life regression. But can these be trusted. I guess we just wait and see. But like with yourself, since leaving the WTS I have far less fear of the future and death.

• nowisee
    nowisee

just curious..... despite your feelings of unworthiness, and in view of your history, why do you suppose YOU are so full of love and compassion??

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

nowisee, that's a good question! I've been with him for almost 26 of those years (24 of them married to him), and after getting to know his family I am amazed that he has turned out so nice. They're "a piece of work," to use a Southern expression. One of Chris' therapists even asked him if he was adopted, after meeting the family. And Chris is one of the kindest, most compassionate people I know. Of course, there was that time that the dog peed right outside our bedroom and he stepped in it . . . but I digress.

Personally, I think he has a special place in whatever afterlife there is that will hopefully make up for what he's gone through in this one. (If nothing else, I hope it will be a pee-free zone.) I think he has helped a lot of people by sharing his experiences, proving that someone can go through horrific abuse and not continue that cycle into the next generation.

As far as I'm concerned, he has made a good mark on this earth during his time here and I'm sure will continue to do so until he dies. After that, I don't know. I get a strong sense that there's something. Reincarnation doesn't answer all the questions and, for me at least, neither does the concept of heaven. I think there's a little truth in both.

Nina

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Hi BT please listen to me. I just got out of bed and turned on the computer just for you, because you are worth it.

I've been married for 24 years to a wonderful woman, who has been far more patient and understanding with my irritating and whiny bullshit

God did hear your cry; he sent you a wonderful woman. Please embrace all the good things in your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit