Sincere Question to Anyone who Believes in God

by Big Tex 84 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gymbob
    gymbob

Tex~

I think people have been searching for the answers you're looking for ever since man has been able to look for answers. Those answers have not been found yet, and nobody knows. Some hope, some wish one way or another, but nobody knows.

So, given that as the bottom line...I just try to treat people like I like to be treated, and be really nice to everyone and let the "afterlife" take care of itself. Really, what else is there that you can do? If that doesn't get me a spot on the next bus that comes along after this ride, then what else are you going to do?

"Sorry God, I just tried to be really nice to everyone, how was I suppose to know what else to do, and that the only true religion was __________?" (Fill in the blank) GYMBOB

• Quentin
    Quentin

After life, no after life...what does it matter. We're here doing the best we can with what we've got. Some folks have more to give through their talent, or sensabilty, we all have something to give others. Give what you can, live life to the fullest, let God sweat the rest...if you live a life that brings no physical, or mental harm to others, console those in need like the Good Samaritan, you have nothing to be ashamed of...

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    But like with yourself, since leaving the WTS I have far less fear of the future and death.

Yeah that's one of the nice things isn't it? Well that and not going out in service when it's 100 degrees.

I started this thread to hear others' thoughts and beliefs, and I do appreciate it. It helps give me perspective.

despite your feelings of unworthiness, and in view of your history, why do you suppose YOU are so full of love and compassion??

I'm a big, big believer in choices. I think each of us has within us the capability, under the right circumstances, to be the most hideous monster causing the most horrible of nightmares. But we also have within us the ability to love, show compassion, nuture and heal. I completely reject the notion of someone excusing their crimes as "I was born that way". Nonsense. Granted some choices are easier than others and raise a child with abuse and hate, the odds for that child are not good. Odds are that child will grow to absorb that darkness and act out the hate in their adult life. But that's not an absolute. Not everyone who grows up in darkness must stay that way.

In some ways my parents were very helpful to me. Since they were so bad, all I had to do was to act opposite of what they would do, or make the choice they wouldn't make. Think of it as growing up in Bizarro World. For many years after I left that place, and I was in doubt about what to do or how to behave, I'd wonder what they would do and I had my answer. But having said that, I am an incredibly flawed man, far from my ideal.

If I may ask, why do you think children growing up in an abusive home, are not always abusers themselves? Or, conversely, why does a child growing up in a loving, nurturing home sometimes turn to violence and evil? Destiny? Genetics? Are they just born bad people? Just curious.

Reincarnation doesn't answer all the questions and, for me at least, neither does the concept of heaven.

If I have a say in it, I don't want to be reincarnated. I'm not really fond of living in this world, or on this planet. Don't get me wrong, nothing is better than watching a sunset, or holding my woman, or eating some really good sushi. But there's a lot in this life that just flat out sucks. Too much for me at least.

God did hear your cry; he sent you a wonderful woman. Please embrace all the good things in your life.

Thank you, I really appreciate your concern. I apologize if I've given the wrong impression. I'm not in the depths of depression (no more than normal at least; I can be a real pain to be around!). No honestly, I started this thread because I wanted to hear others' thoughts and feelings about God and the possibilities of what happens when we die. I really want to "get it". One reason why is I don't want to make things more difficult on those around me when I do shuffle off this mortal coil. I think death is hardest on those still alive, and if I can wrap my poor brain around understanding what happens, even better, coming to a belief system that I can trust then maybe I can help my loved ones before I become an ex-Big Tex.

But yes GQ you are right, I have many, many things to be thankful for and Nina is at the top of the list. If nothing else, she puts up with me. I've got 2 fantastic children. And no psycho dog that pees on the floor or chews up my old Simon & Garfunkel albums. That alone is enough for me to praise God!

Chris

• bernadette
    bernadette
    Satanus recommended silence as well. Thanks for reinforcing the idea. The nice thing is I go in with no expectations so there will be no disappointment, you know?

going in with no expectations - thats the beauty of it imo. As humans we want to quantify and measure. Its more liberating to stay in a non-expectational state

• rassillon
    rassillon

BT,

I read your first post and some of the others but if what I say was covered just think of it as repetition for emphesis.

You have to come to the recognition that what views of God we have and what we think about him all came from men, humans and how often are we right about this kind of crap. I am one who believs in a God and am sure that when we find out what the real deal is we will be like "well damn, I didn't know that.All those MOFOs weren't even close."

Those that make any claim about God good or bad, don't know sh*t. No one knows, pure and simple.

So buck up, hold your head high, do your best to enjoy your time here.

-r

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    Not really interested in religion, or religious thought which I differentiate from spirituality. Probably a technicality, but then again I work for lawyers

I wasn't suggesting anything religious.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    just think of it as repetition for emphesis

I did the ministry school for 2 years, so I'll give you a "G" for repetition and emphasis.

But next time you need to work on gestures.

I wasn't suggesting anything religious.

Ah. Okay. I getcha now. I'm hearing this throughout this thread, so I'm going to listen.

Chris

• wednesday
    wednesday

BT

I had a dream several years ago, I called it the Records Building dream. I later learned it was called Akashic records. I began exploring this and it has helped me greatly. I just woke up last fall with the remembrance of this dream.

I was surprised to believe that in this dream there was a record, what Jung calls the collective unconsciousness, of everything we do. I did not want to believe it, I was so sure this could not be.

for me, this was a wake up call.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Hiya Wednesday. Good to see you again.

I believe in dreams. I just don't know where or how to fit them in. I've had several throughout my life that relate to this thread discussion, but I don't know how much to believe. In other words, I don't know how much is random neurons firing, or a collective consciousness speaking to me or my own repressed memories and feelings speaking.

May I ask a question? Okay then, another after this one?

This is probably a great oversimplification, and please forgive me as I mean no offense, but it seems to me that faith is a choice. By that I mean it seems to me that one simply has to choose whatever pleases you or feels good or comforting and then embrace it.

Is that fair? Is that what "faith" is? And if not, what exactly is it?

Chris

• wednesday
    wednesday

faith, belief in that which cannot be proved , I guess.

for me, re: the dream, i was not prepared to believe the "records theory" b/c it smacked too much of jws. but after i explored it a bit more, i learned it is nothing like what jws teach. it is not a single teaching, it is just that yes we are accountable for our actions.

anyway, my dad always said what jws have is credulity, not faith.

I am beginning to feel that "all roads lead to God", is correct. that does not make God wishy washy, it just means he accepts people as they come to him.

the akashic records dream has had a big affect on me. it has lead me back to believing. jws has taken that away from me.

BT:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit