MEMORIAL Q: How does WT Explain Away 1 Cor. 10:17?

by abbagail 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    we have 2 classes here. one are have heavenly hope other earthly.

Why would you say that (except that the Watchtower says it.)

John 10:16 says there would be one flock; “And I have other sheep , which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock , one shepherd”

Numerous scriptures talk of one hope, and one group.

Ephesians 4:4 “ One body there is, and one spirit, even as YOU were called in the one hope to which YOU were called; “

1 Corinthians 12:13 “ For truly by one spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks , whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink one spirit.”

John 11:51-52 “This, though, he did not say of his own originality; but because he was high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus was destined to die for the nation, 52 and not for the nation only, but in order that the children of God who are scattered about he might also gather together in one.”

Romans 2:10-11 “but glory and honor and peace for everyone who works what is good, for the Jew first and also for the Greek . 11 For there is no partiality with God.”

Each term in Revelation 7:9-17 identifies the great crowd in heaven. See http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/greatcrowd.htm

• abbagail
    abbagail

WOW, jwfacts, you are BLOWING ME AWAY!

[...]
    Most JWs do not seem to know that the Bible is not for them, and that it is only for the 8000 leaders left of earth UUGHHH.
    [...]

I'm aghast! I'm speechless! (and laughing at the same time, because I can't believe these "jewels" you are sharing and that I was totally NOT cognizant of these "theocratic facts" when I was a JW).

And I always did my "homework" too, looking up all the scriptures and words I didn't know the meaning of, etc. etc.

Granted, by 1987-1988, my brain was FRIED, like, "I can't stand this thesis-antithesis stuff NO MO' !"

If the United book was 1983, I SURELY should have known of it. I read EVERYTHING they gorged forth like a flood...

Was it the book that replaced The "Truth" book? Was the United book blue? (Even if it was, I can't remember a THING that was in it, so it really doesn't matter ;-)

But TRULY, SINCERELY, if I had had a CLUE that NONE, N-O-N-E, ZILCH, NADDA, ZERO OF THE BIBLE APPLIED to us peons in the org, I think I would have had a heart attack in my 30s! What did they even have us read it for? We could have had 15 minute meetings 3 x week where they handed out marching orders xeroxed en masse, which merely said, "HERE, GO DO THIS AND THAT and come back and bow before us, Amen."

So, in the WT's eyes, OUR (peons) ONLY PURPOSE was to SUPPORT THEM. Well, howdeedoodee, since now that I type it out, that is REALLY what it's all about: SERVE US, GIVE US YOUR MONEY, SELL OUR BOOKS, FIND MORE PEOPLE to SERVE US, GIVE US THEIR MONEY, and SELL OUR BOOKS, ad infinitum forever and ever Amen. The ultimate PYRAMID (pun intended) SCHEME with no payoff for those on the bottom rung.

What a WAKE-UP CALL, and I thought I already KNEW everything "bad" about the WT! LOL, the JOKE is on ME!

THE BIBLE did NOT APPLY TO ME for 11 years, what a JOKE! I'm hilariously flabberghasted! If I had only known, I just may have got up and WALKED right out the door a whole lot sooner!

------------------------

The meek not inheriting the earth EITHER (meek peons, that is), is also a MIND-BLOWER! I'm just bonkers! What QUOTES those are! (Can't say I ever sat and read the Insight Volumes much!) So (as JWs) we are renters and tenants during this miserable "system of things" but also nothing but "tenants" in the NEXT "Paradise On Earth"! What a RIP-OFF! HA! This should wake up some other people as well, who pass by and read this. Like COLD WATER in the face!

But praise the Lord, I know better now, and He has a MANSION IN THE SKY waiting for me and ALL his JOINT HEIRS, which is ALL BELIEVERS in Jesus' death/burial/resurrection.

People, read jwfacts info and WAKE UP! Get alonside JESUS and kiss the WT GOODBYE!

Thanks jwfacts, that was a gas! Those quotes are keepers!

/ag

• skeptic1914
    skeptic1914

Hi Abbagail...the point about the WT view that the NT was written primarily to anointed Christians and that there were ONLY anointed Christians in the 1st century has been covered.

Frankly I don't ever remember Paul being referred to as a member of the GB. Even if you accept the premise that the elders in Jerusalem formed a Governing Body, just reading thru the book of Acts makes it obvious that Paul took no direction from them. He was directed by Christ and the Holy Spirit. That's why that statement (at the Memorial) stood out to me so much. I actually wanted to ask the speaker if that specific point was in the outline but didn't.

This point is worth restating:

Not to say that it is a waste of time - some honest, sincere questions guided me to freedom. I did not listen initially, but it stuck with me until the right time

This happened to me but I'm thinking particularly of an xjw friend. Many years before she came out, someone at the door in FS said, "the other sheep are Gentiles". That stuck with her and became one of the starting points for her and later her husband to re-evaluate what they had learned thru the WT.

Skeptic1914

• abbagail
    abbagail

Heeey Marcel:

I was rolling around in insanity for a few minutes there after learning from jwfacts that the BIBLE NEVER applied to ME and the other peons in the org! OMG! Knock me silly!

Breathe...

OK, Ahhh Hummmm, now I'm composed. Let's continue... (lol).

You wrote:

[...]
    i dont get it abbagail.
    you basically say the gentiles will reign over the jews?! or who in fact will have the earthly hope?
    sorry, but for it sounds very weired and not refreshing. can you explain it for me a second time? =)
    [...]

Absolutely, MY PLEASURE! ;-)

I don't know EVERYTHING, of course, have only been studying this for a year now, even though I was BLESSED to come to a general understanding of these things about a year and a half ago when I ran across this article and it was like, talk about LIGHT GETTING BRIGHTER! Wow! It just floored me because it made SO MUCH SENSE:

http://withchrist.org/images/IHC.jpg (that's a picture chart that will probably clear up your question more than everything I wrote below, lol)

http://withchrist.org/pauldisp.htm - article, and then scroll down for explanations of THE MYSTERY ("Sacred Secret"/NWT)

http://withchrist.org/dispensationalism.htm - other great articles from the same site,

and anything by Myles J, Stanford http://withchrist.org/MJS/newbirth.htm (scroll down);

or Les Feldick, great teachers: http://www.lesfeldick.org/lestimel.html (that's another chart for you that will clear up the Who's Who Goes Where ;-)

-----------------------------

It's hard to squeeze it all in in one post, so I did give the "abbreviated" version earlier, but I'll do my best to make it more clear and refreshing, because truly it IS refreshing (no more confusion, at least in my mind, as to different scriptures that always seemed to contradict each other, but that was only because we were always trying to apply them to the wrong groups, etc., so everything was always jumbled up, ESPECIALLY prophetic scriptures. Many Christian ministries and churches STILL teach that way, too, all jumbled up, but once you understand the simple scriptural fact to make note of WHO is TALKING/WRITING TO WHO (and the verses always SAY WHO they are addressed to):

1. That all the OT applies to Israel;
    2. Then Jesus and the 12 apostles went to the House of Israel, too, so all their books apply to THEM;
    3. But the Lord called out Paul specifically, the 13th apostle, to open up the way to the Gentiles/nations, so all his books apply to us (except Hebrews, which most feel was written by Paul, but it was written to, guess who... -- da dum... HEBREWS! ;-)

First a "book breakdown":

-----------------------

These Books: --- Apply To:

GENESIS (promise to Abraham) thru Gospel of JOHN = HOUSE OF ISRAEL:
    * Those Jews who believed ON JESUS also get the Heavenly Hope, but all the Jews who DID NOT and who DO NOT DOWN TO THIS DAY and THRU to the TRIB still do NOT put faith in JESUS, then they will NOT get the Heavenly Hope but WILL have OPPORTUNITY for the EARTHLY KINGDOM HOPE IF -- IF -- IF they become believers DURING the TRIB (the message is clear: It will be HARDER FOR THOSE WHO WAIT until DURING the trib).
    * If they choose to NEVER believe in Jesus, not now, nor during the trib, then they will be part of the 2/3's that are lost forever, along with those of the nations/gentiles who refuse to believe up to and during the TRIB.

ACTS = TRANSITION PERIOD.

ROMANS to PHILEMON = Paul's letters to the GENTILE NATIONS, the "Church," the "BODY OF CHRIST," the "BRIDE OF CHRIST" -- AND this is important -- ALSO ANY JEWS WHO BECOME BELIEVERS during this "AGE OF GRACE" time-frame -- while it is STILL OPEN -- get the SAME HEAVENLY HOPE as the GENTILES (Paul also preached to Jews in their synagogues, but his PRIMARY commission was to go to the NATIONS).

HEBREWS - PETER - JAMES - JUDE - 1.2.3 JOHN - REVELATION = HOUSE OF ISRAEL:
    * The 12 apostles NEVER went to the Gentiles throughout their lives, except the ONE time the Lord sent Peter to Cornelius as described further above. But ALL their minsitries and ALL their books were written to JEWISH BELIEVERS who still kept the law covenant, all the way up to when the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD.
    * But the GENTILES who became believers when Paul was commissioned to go to them, they did NOT have to live according to law, even though the other apostles wanted them to very badly, until Peter backed up Paul (due to Peter's Cornelius experience which acted as a 2nd-witness, so to speak, of what Paul was telling them about accepting the Gentiles as believers w/o law ), and the matter was then settled: Gentiles are NOT under law but are UNDER GRACE (free gift, no "works" can get it for you, etc. -- and that right there is some GREAT NEWS! esp. coming out of WT World).

---------------------

Then the Temple is destroyed in 70 A.D., Israel enters diaspora, being dispersed throughout all the nations for a specific period of time (Rom. 11:25), the apostles are dying off (most already dead by that point) BUT the "AGE OF GRACE" or the "CHURCH AGE" and/or the "GENTILE AGE" (as it is sometimes called) is ONGOING UNTIL "the FULL number of people of the nations has come in" (Rom. 11:25b) "and IN THIS MANNER all Israel will be saved [in WHAT manner? ] JUST AS IT IS WRITTEN: 'THE DELIVERER [Jesus/Messiah] WILL COME OUT OF ZION and TURN AWAY UNGODLY PRACTICES FROM [who? FROM] JACOB." etc. etc. (Roms. 11:25-36).

So when ALL GENTILES who will believe are "come in" THEN God TURNS HIS ATTENTION BACK to LITERAL ISRAEL (Jacob). This "AGE OF GRACE" in which to bring in the GENTILES is THE "SACRED SECRET" (or MYSTERY as other translations say: http://withchrist.org/pauldisp.htm : scroll down half-way for all of Paul's Mysteries) that PAUL was DESCRIBING throughout his letters. NO ONE, NO OTHER APOSTLE was given this revelation about the AGE OF THE GENTILES/AGE OF GRACE, but only PAUL when he spent three years in the Arabian desert with the Lord. It's a beautiful MYSTERY indeed, and I finally grasp the exuberance Paul declares in Rom. 11:33-36 (which in WT years and thereafter, I never quite "got" what was so amazing, but THIS IS IT, THIS SACRED SECRET!)

That's why all the other Jewish apostles were freaked, because they NEVER HAD A CLUE that God was going to take a "TIME OUT" (so to speak) and put things on "HOLD" in order to allow TWO DAYS (2,000 years) to BRING IN the Gentiles. The apostles thought they were to witness to fellow Jews and get as many to come into belief as possible, then the Trib would occur and Jesus would be back. Period. They never had a clue 2,000 years would elapse first. (That's why they all talk in their books like the END is coming Soon Soon Soon, because they DIDn't KNOW). But the SACRED SECRET was known by God from the foundation of the world.

---------------

Now, IF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL HAD totally put faith IN JESUS when He was here and in the few years afterward, then things would have occurred in the reverse, ie, ISRAEL would rule over the GENTILES from the get-go, as was prophesied in the OT that Israel would be the LIGHT UNTO THE GENTILES (and they still WILL BE eventually, but NOT at first). But they rejected Him for the MOST part, except a tiny few overall. So God knew this, of course, in advance, and that's the SACRED SECRET that He held in Himself until the right time, that He would "stop the Israel Timeclock" and OPEN the WAY for the Gentile Nations to be "reconciled" to Himself. This is also known as the AGE OF RECONCILIATION. A Christian's ministry during this Age of Grace is to RECONCILE people to God, "No Works Required" - It's a FREE GIFT.

----------------

Sorry I can't do bold/underline/highlighting on this Mac, or I could make this look SO much better and easier to read.

---------------------

Hope I'm not confusing you. If I do those charts and links provided at the top should help.

----------------------

You had said: "you basically say the gentiles will reign over the jews?!"

Well, ALMOST. For the most part, there WILL be MORE GENTILE believers than JEWS (by sheer numbers there are more gentiles naturally than Jews, since Israel is a tiny nation in comparison to gentile nations), but there ARE Many Jews becoming believers, moreso as the time draws near. There are quite a few "Messianic Jewish" congregations round about, but, really, they do NOT have to live "under Jewish law" but it seems many of them LIKE the "trappings" of their past, but really, ALL JEWS are **CURRENTLY** welcome into the AGE OF GRACE and the BLESSED Heavenly Hope just like the Gentiles. (If they can break through that mental "veil" of rejecting Christ as their Messiah, that is.)

But when the BODY OF CHRIST (Gentiles AND Jews who have believed during the Age of Grace) are called to heaven to be with the Lord/raptured, and the TRIB begins, and the false-messiah comes onto the world stage, etc., then the AGE OF GRACE IS UP, and any who did NOT believe, Gentiles OR Jews, they will all be here on earth to endure the TRIB (and even thugh people CAN and WILL BECOME BELIEVERS DURING the Trib, Gentile OR Jew(great crowd), it WON'T BE FUN! Likely all those who come to faith in Christ during the Trib will be martyred for their faith during this last ONE WEEK/SEVEN YEAR Time Frame).

--------------------------

As for who judges who, to finally answer your question! (sorry about that!):

When a person becomes a believer during the Age of Grace (since Paul began preaching to the Gentiles), the Jew and the Greek become "one new man" and there is "neither Jew nor Greek" in a spirirtual sense. But then in our "glorified bodies" (after the rapture or "snatching away" literally, for those "in Christ" who are alive when this occurs, and for those "in Christ" who are dead when the rapture occurs), we are neither Jew nor Greek PHYSICALLY EITHER, finally. So in a sense, we are at that time "heavenly creatures" just like Jesus in his glorified body since we will be just like Him and "see Him just as He is." That's the BLESSED HOPE for ALL BELIEVERS (Jews and Gentiles who come to faith during this AGE OF GRACE).

1 Cor 6:2,3 - Do you not know that the saints shall judge the world? And if the world shall be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? Do you not know that we shall judge angels, not to mention the things of this life?

-----------------------------

Think of God's time-frame since Creation (approximately and generally):

1. The PATRIARCHS AGE: 2000 years (Adam, Noah, Enoch, Abraham, Job, etc.)

2. The LAW COVENANT w/ISRAEL AGE: 2000 years (from Moses to Jesus)

3. The AGE OF GRACE/CHURCH AGE/GENTILE AGE: 2000 years (from Paul to the Rapture)

4. 1 week [7 years] TRIBULATION (first half of 3.5 years is Tribulation, 2nd half of 3.5 years is GREAT Tribulation).

Then you said:

"...or who in fact will have the earthly hope?"

Those Believers from #1 above have Earthly Hope.

Those Believers from #2 above have Earthly Hope.

Those from #3 above get the HEAVENLY HOPE (there was never a "heavenly hope" held out to anybody UNTIL Jesus came. All prior Godly men and women only knew of a resurrection to an EARTHLY HOPE).

Those from #4 above have Earthly Hope (great crowd of those who become believers during Trib made of up Jew and Gentile; however the 144,000 which are JEWISH VIRGIN MEN from the 12 TRIBES of ISRAEL and who follow the Lamb wherever He goes, are also sealed with the HEAVENLY hope).

So during the TRIB:

LARGE CROWD who become believers are saved to an EARTHLY HOPE, Jew and Gentile.
    VERY SMALL CROWD of 144,000 Jewish Male Virgins are saved to a HEAVENLY HOPE.

----------------------

There really are lots of scriptures to go with all of this, but I'm too fried to search them all out. Those links at the top will help. There are also a LOT more great CHARTS that I have seen which clearly shows Who's Who and When and What. I have the links somewhere I'm sure, almost any "Grace Bible Church" will have charts at their websites. Also if you live anywhere in these viewing areas, follow along with this great teacher: http://www.lesfeldick.org, one-half hour a day, M-F. Tape it and just jump in. You'll learn fast and you'll LOVE IT.

I know you wrote more than those two lines, but this is long enough for now. I'll check with you another time.

Blessings,
    /ag

• abbagail
    abbagail

Thanks, Skeptic1914. Yes, the info about the "WT's VERSION" has been covered. And I never knew Paul was supposedly part of the WT's GB either, but evidently I'm still learning erroneously WT teachings that must have passed by me when I was "in."

And I loved your story of a friend who was told that "other sheep" were GENTILES. That truly is a BIGGIE "seed" that won't fade easily, and it is SO SIMPLE. How did we all ever miss it! (I know I know, j/k).

/ag

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hey Marcel, I just finished reading your original full post on page 1.

You are joking about the #1-13 List of WT Teachings, eh?

I hope you are joking, lol. I seriously can't tell. But then I've been up too long as it is.

Catch ya later...

-----------------

And jwfacts, I'll have to check out your "great crowd IN HEAVEN" link. I have to confess I haven't paid too much attention to the "great crowd" scriptures since I learned I'm NOT one of them! Hallelujah. But there's no denying it: The Lord is NOT back yet ruling on His future throne in Jerusalem by Rev. chapter 7, so when vs 9 says the great crowd is standing BEFORE HIS THRONE, that is obviously the Heavenly One!

Thanks again for all the help!
    /ag

• heathen
    heathen

abbagail -- I was saying that the WTBTS dogma on the 2 folds of sheep is wrong , it's jews and gentiles not anointed and non anointed . Mathew 25 shows that christ arrives in kingdom power to judge earths inhabitants , they are judged on how they treated the holy remnant ,IMO. I believe that the promise for christians is the kingdom of the heavens not just a paradise earth since the kingdom of the heavens is a floating city , new jerusalem that lands on earth during the tribulation. The apostles wrote let those be accursed that have declared a good news different from the good news they preached about. The good news they preached about was the kingdom of the heavens. I don't believe the 144k are actual virgins since many first century members were married or even homosexual converts .The apostle John used the term virgin to refer to spiritual chasteness , christ being the bride groom at the marriage feast is looking for only spiritually chaste followers that did not defile themselves in worldly persuits .

anyway , all for now , not feeling well ...........

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi heathen, sorry you're not feeling well, go curl up and get some good sleep, and hope you feel better soon!

[...]
    the WTBTS dogma on the 2 folds of sheep is wrong , it's jews and gentiles not anointed and non anointed .
    [...]

I agree w/you 100% ;-)

--------------------

[...]
    Mathew 25 shows that christ arrives in kingdom power to judge earths inhabitants , they are judged on how they treated the holy remnant ,IMO.
    [...]

Who will be the "holy remnant" at that time, IYO?

----------------------

[...]
    I believe that the promise for christians is the kingdom of the heavens not just a paradise earth since the kingdom of the heavens is a floating city , new jerusalem that lands on earth during the tribulation.
    [...]

Yeah, I LOVE that "floating city"! New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven! I've imagined it in my mind's eye many a time. (I have a CD with a song about that very thing, which helps, awesome!)

Also, agree 100% re: heavens is the promise for Christians, ditto. (but at this point of my understanding, I also believe the saints will come back WITH Jesus when He returns to the earth in Rev. 19).

Lastly, since in my current level of understanding I believe Revelation is chronological, it was my thinking New Jerusalem doesn't come down until Rev. 21, and Jesus returns in chapter 19, to save Israel from total annihilation and Armageddon, etc., so the holy city comes down after that, ch. 21. (Of course NJ is mentioned in ch. 3, but the first few ch's of Rev. are a summary, the letters to the synagogues, etc., and the actual events of the trib start occurring when the rider of the white horse, with bow but no arrows, etc. in Rev. 6, anti-messiah, comes, etc.)

--------------------

[...]
    The apostles wrote let those be accursed that have declared a good news different from the good news they preached about. The good news they preached about was the kingdom of the heavens.
    [...]

Agree! From the time of Jesus and the apostles, the heavenly hope was opened for JEWS first, and then later to the Gentiles.

--------------------

[...]
    I don't believe the 144k are actual virgins since many first century members were married or even homosexual converts .The apostle John used the term virgin to refer to spiritual chasteness , christ being the bride groom at the marriage feast is looking for only spiritually chaste followers that did not defile themselves in worldly persuits .
    [...]

I see your point, a good one. I don't know if it is a "special calling" for the 144,000 that they will literally be virgins -- could be either way -- since Paul wrote that if a person is settled in his heart about it, he is better off, and Jesus said if a person can "make room for it, to make room for it," etc., and maybe these guys will be able to do so. I don't know for sure.

----------------------

[...]
    anyway , all for now , not feeling well ...........
    [...]

Feel better! Thanks for your insights and contribution.

/ag

• heathen
    heathen
    Who will be the "holy remnant" at that time, IYO?

million dollar question there . still investigating the situation .Obviously people that preach the gospel message and are hated by the world , there are no falsehoods found in their teachings .Revs 14:5 So far the WTBTS is the only religion that identified what babylon the great represents but they are full of false teachings .IMO

Yeah, I LOVE that "floating city"!

Yah I think it's pretty cool myself . You are right it lands later on but I think it lands twice in all . First to deliver the great crowd from the tribulation , where they will remain for the millenium reign at which point the second resurrection takes place then it ascends while the second armageddon takes place , then it descends to rescue the holy ones a second time and destroy evil for all time , the second death. Most religions believe in the "rapture" of the church but they have people floating around on clouds with no place to go pretty much , in the scenario I posted people get to be with christ in the city governed by the 144k . The bible is clear that God will destroy the earth like in noahs day but with fire , so I don't believe people will be in human form but will be changed into spirit beings .

I see your point, a good one. I don't know if it is a "special calling" for the 144,000 that they will literally be virgins -- could be either way -- since Paul wrote that if a person is settled in his heart about it, he is better off, and Jesus said if a person can "make room for it, to make room for it," etc., and maybe these guys will be able to do so. I don't know for sure.

I seriously doubt literal virgins , jesus said make room for being a eunich not a virgin . The apostle Paul warned that a man that is married is a man that is devided with worldly persuits , they eventually have to give up any sexual impulses . The angels already proved to be dysfuntional over sex so makes sense that sex is the furthest thing from your mind when dealing with an eternity living with them.

fortunately I don't think I'm going to be laid up too long with this cold . Thanks for your concern.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

John 10:16 speaks in the present: "And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold..." If the Watchtower were correct it would be said in the future: "And I will have other sheep, which are not of this fold..." This would have had absolutely no meaning for the people of Christ's day, if it took some 2000 years for this term "other sheep" to take on meaning. The very fact that Christ said "I have" shows that he had these "other sheep" at the time He made this statement. First, there were the Old Testament saints, called prisoners of hope (Isa. 14:17), who waited in the Paradise section of Hades for Christ to come and take them home to Heaven. He also was referring to the Gentiles. His followers were to go first to Israel than to the nations. "Go, therefore, and make disciples of peoples of all nations..." Matt. 28:18

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit