I went to the Memorial.

by RichieRich 97 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Further to SAB's point - I don't think Richie left his mother with any false hopes there.

"There's actually a couple of options... does it matter to you guys?"

I say "As long as they're in the non smoking section, we're fine."

He laughs.

I laughed too.

I also felt my chest tighten at certain moments. I think you handled it mostly with the right balance of gravity and humour. You kept it real, which is what I like about you.

JWs are so busy thinking about themselves they do not think about the implications of what they do to others, that they are in the western world, almost without peer in terms of preaching passive hate and teaching such a twisted version of love it makes me unsteady to think about it and how I very nearly stayed part of that. Your mother's amateur dramatics - well yeah I feel a bit sorry for her but hey she is the one making the choice that her religion is more important than her son. She raised an intelligent son. I like to think my folks raised an intelligent daughter. So why can't they see what we can? They see everything determinedly through the unnatural light of WBTS Bull and mistake this for following Jesus (who died 190 years ago apparently _ LOL, that was funny too).

I hope it wasnt too fraught for Erica - honestly she sounds like such a gem and ahem looks like one too. Please give her a big hug from me and say that I thank her for supporting you so thoroughly and troubling to find out why you rejected your dubious heritage first hand.

I have to go to work now, but am so glad you posted. You should collect all these episodes up for a book one day. It already males a great read and pretty much everyone here either cares or at least in interested in what happens to you.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Well done Richie. Well done indeed.

I especially enjoyed this little phrase:

holy spirit powered flashlights

So true.

Your mother needs to feel the effects of her shunning. Perhaps feeling the effects and seeing its consequences will one day help her to break free.

• bernadette
    bernadette

good post

The WTS has everything covered - they live in their own world -for me your mum's reaction demonstrates that.

• needproof
    needproof

Hang about hang about, the Memorial was last night?!?!?!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Sounds like a hell of an evening - you did well to keep your composure and your wink to the woman who has had problems was an absolute gem; its clear that she looks to you as a friend and her wave back to you just highlights that this whole shunning issue is completely inhuman and unnatural.

Its good some in the congregation are less concerned about the dogmatic rules than others.

Great post Richie.

Gary

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Don't be too tough on your Mum Richie. She is a victim just as much as you are.

".....We make eye contact, and I wink. She puts a big beaming smile on her face, and does a little wave."

The sister is a victim too, but she responded to you in a positive way.

I know your Mum has given you more than you fair share of shite, but if you want the rift between you to heal, you are going to have to let her in. It is a two way thing.

I wonder what would have happened if you had given her a wink or a hug?????

It must have taken her some balls to do what she did!!

Maybe you get your balls from her :-)

Cheers
    Chris

• needproof
    needproof

Edited. You made your mom cry? Not good son, not good.

• KW13
    KW13

Richie you managed to get something back out of somethin a lot of folks never do, good on ya lad.

As for making ya mum cry, my mum cried when i told her she didn't have a son anymore (after she kicked me out and stuff) and she got over it. i think you did the right thing.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Needproof - the person in the wrong is Richie's mother. She told him he was cut off as dead to her when he chose not to be part of her sick cult.

I expect it was very theraputic for her to feel sorry for herself. What kind of mother kills off their offspring and deserves any sympathy for that? Her tears should be of absolute shame for her one year shunning of Richie even during what in this country is considered by law technically a minor. He didn't make her cry. He simply reflected back at her exactly what she said to him. If she found that painful well tough - its hard sometimes to hear your own words back at you.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for my parents who cut me off too? Left me with no home, no family, no support network, treat me like dead as if the thought and behaviour will make it true? I don't think so.

She is shunning him because he rejects an organisation:

• that tacitly approves the molesting of small children,
    • that openly advocates death rather than medical treatment that involves blood,
    • that twists scripture indecently to its own manipulative ends,
    • that is so fearful the flock will get an inkling of how wrong they are that they restrict use of research through the internet
    • that shuts down websites that repeats what it says because its history is so damning it cannot stand up to daylight scrutiny
    • that literally tears families apart
    • causes countless suicides from those who have been tested beyond what they can bear by their so called brothers
    • that does not practice what it preaches
    • that distorts the meaning of love into parody

Who is in the wrong here? Is it Richie who has stood up for what he believes to be right and as a result been cut off by his mother? Or is it his mother, true misled by the organisation, but all the same wrong. She isn't a silent spectator to all this. She is an active orchestrator. I'm not a mother, but I do have one (although she does not regard me as her daughter) and so I can imagine how painful this might be. But at the end of the evening did she do what a proper mother might do and start phoning Richie and writing to him to beg his forgiveness or will she side with the organisation?

I wish she would have the guts to come here and read Richie's posts. And the other posts and for once see what the other side is. How the condemnation of children for religious choices is utterly wrong and primitive.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I agree with Richie...If she cried....BiG DEAL....He has shed many tears. Maybe some real emotion will do her some good! My mom only cries when it will benefit herself and get her some attention.

Great job brotha!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit