What Sacrifices Did YOU Make For The "Truth"?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

All of my childhood, all of my adolesence, and a chunk of my adulthood.

At the time I wouldn't have had it any other way, and I'm a firm believer that we are who we are as a consequence of every choice that we make and that is made for us. Hence, while a lot was sacrificed, the alternative would be a sacrifice of who I now am...

(Feeling philosophical tonight)

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

My Sanity, almost my life...

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

LittleToe: All of my childhood, all of my adolesence, and a chunk of my adulthood.

Amen to that.

The sacrifices we have all made for the "truth" are unusual in that we have so very little to show (that is, of benefit) for them.

Sure, knowing I can speak in front of a large audience is great, but not an essential benefit, and certainly not in return for decades of sacrifices.

Someone mentioned not following their dream, I can identify with that sacrifice, too.

Also: not spending time with my family (parents, siblings, other relatives)....

Painful to reflect on, actually.

-----Dan

• RAF
    RAF

None, all my decision have been mine ... whatever sacrifices I've made it was for someone / something I loved/liked or believed in (I'm just glad I didn't believe in the JW's teaching Bulls).

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I graduated high shcool in 71 and didnt go to college because of 1975.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Among other things: About $4.5 million, taking the last count of Intel stock that I was advised in the 70s to buy (100 measly shares, at $4 a share), by a brother (a son of one of the UK "anointed").

Barrie was a good fellow, in more ways than one; I wish I'd listened to him.

That was then; this is now.

• RR
    RR

RAF:

None, all my decision have been mine ... whatever sacrifices I've made it was for someone / something I loved/liked or believed in (I'm just glad I didn't believe in the JW's teaching Bulls).

I agree with RAF, any sacrfices I made I made on my own accord, because I believed it was teh right thing to do. The one big sacrfice was breaking up with my "worldly" girlfriend, who loved me more than life itself .... loves doesn't get any better than that. In the end I realized, being a JW and being involved with a non-JW would only bring problems. My only recourse would be to convert her, which I knew she would do in a heartbeat, but I wanted someone who believed it and not parrot it!

RR

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I was going to be a para - legal, then a trial lawyer. I worked with lawyers, did research and filing, read case law etc. I couldn't devote the time it took for it. I had to give it up to serve the Watchtower who kept me captive with that "Carrot" I turned down many other jobs with good potential for advancement and good money.

. You will never grow old, you will never die! I hoped and believed at the time that "You can live forever on a paradise earth!" Coming soon, very near, before the end of the twentieth century! Did I love Jehovah or was I selfishly thinking of myself and family? Also, like many others who gave up their youth and strength, we are now old and will die, and have no pension, no medical, only social security. Retirement will be hard to say the least, for some retirement is not an option.

Blueblades

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

I gave up University, would of had my own practice by now and my PhD.....

still kicking myself for being so gullible in 1994.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

All of my childhood, all of my adolesence, and a chunk of my adulthood.

At the time I wouldn't have had it any other way, and I'm a firm believer that we are who we are as a consequence of every choice that we make and that is made for us. Hence, while a lot was sacrificed, the alternative would be a sacrifice of who I now am...

(Feeling philosophical tonight)

Amen here as well Ross. I'm pretty much over the anger, but the tragedy of it all can be overwhelming at times. Therefore, I'm nevergoinback.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit