I just got fired and I may not have enough money to go to Italy

by tsunami_rid3r 22 Replies latest jw friends

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

I just got fired from my job as a waiter because she said I sucked or something along those lines. I have a week before the fee is due, which is $1,700, and thats not including the plane ticket, my digging equipment, and extra spending money. I already made a $300 deposit, and $1,700 is only for 3 weeks. The project lasts for 5 weeks. I still need to scrounge up money for all the bills next month, and thats $650. I may not have enough money to go to field school in Italy this summer.

What are the best options for me?

The way I see it:
    1) Not go to Italy.
    I could take the $1700 I have saved up and use that for 2 months of bills. I could find a job at the same time or focus on school for those 2 months, instead of work. Those are the possibilities. Theres more:
    I may have to change my career goal in anthropology, instead of doing archaeology because I really need to go to field school to get a job right after college. I like art, history and I'm interested in the evolution of humans. Maybe physical anthropology would be good for me. I could study genetics of our early ancestors.
    Or I could become a rock star or be an artist, but most likely a rock star because my university doesn't offer any art degree or music degree. When I got fired tonight, the manager said I should do something with art, and that I'm not good at servicing people. The school, I'm attending now, is an agricultural and mechanical school, a red neck school. Why did I go here? I don't like it, but it was the only good choice I had at the time because my parents were against me going so far from home. Things are different now, I have a good amount of money saved up.

2) Get a job. As I said above, I probably suck at servicing people, so I should work in art. What kind of jobs are out there that deal with art? My computer skills aren't up to date. I'm not savy with a lot of the art programs. My web building skills only go as far as Myspace building. I was thinking of becoming a rock star, doing gigs, but I suck at playing the guitar right now. I think I could be an awesome vocalist though.

3) Drop out of this univeristy and move back in with my parents.
    If it comes to this, I won't be able to live. Since I'm under their roof, I would have to follow their rules. Most of, which I don't mind, except going to the meetings. I haven't gone to the meetings in what feels like 2 years now, probably really just a year. I can't go back.
    I will probably join the Marines. There's something inside me that wants action in foreign lands.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

THAT SUCKS MAN. I WISH YOU THE BEST DAWG.

• BFD
    BFD

Wow life can really suck sometimes. But if you think your vocals are strong enough look into auditions with local bands or something like that. Or, go to Italy and see if you can work over there while donig your field studies. I don't know, man I'm sure you'll be OK you can work this one out. If you decide to go do your field studies maybe by the time you return your parents will lighten up a bit.

BFD

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Don't drop out of school! You'll regret it years from now. You can change schools if you feel whatever you're studying isn't fitting you but once you drop it is so hard to get started again.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Jesus kid,

Why the hell would you join the armed forces when they are in harms way? Forget the pacifist teachings, use your head. Think clearly as to what you want to do. Is is possible to work and save to go next year? What about just doing the time you can in order to broaden your horizons? You can travel cheap after the time at school, and odds are you'll meet friends who could put you up as you stay local. I don't have all the answers, but going home is not one. I wish you well tsunami my lad.

You could always pray about it.

W.Once

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think you should be a rockstar. Especially if it doesnt take any talent or ability. Just make a cd and give it to mtv and your local radio station. You might want to find some friends to make a video for you also. Mtv will want that. You might want to listen to the dire straights song "I want my mtv."to keep you motivated while your cutting your hit album. I wouldnt even mess around playing locally. Go straight to New York or La La land. Japan goes crazy over yankee rock stars also. When you send your cd to Mtv make sure you put your phone number and return address on it maybe even you email. You can get cd burners for like 300$. And a digital movie camera also for 300, A six hundred dollar investment and youll be a millionare.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/live/navigation?q=cd+recorders

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

condolences! Have you thought of selling your body ? (thats a joke! I dont mean it for heavens sake)

I think you should go to your school and see if there is any chance of a grant to help pay for this trip - it is school related isn't it? They may give you a discretionary loan on the basis you have been saving hard and you pay it back at a low amount over a period of weeks.

You totally need to get your IT skills up to date young man - THAT is where all the money is at. The better you can be - the more disposable income you will have in the future. The art side of things - what kind of art are you good at? I would say though in the short term this can only bring in peanuts but its worth looking into - the earlier you carve out a name for yourself even on a small and local scale for things you are good at - things you can add to your resume - the better job you will get later.

I hope you find a way to go to Italy. You could do what I am doing to get to Dallas, which is probably not a good idea, but get a credit card which is interest free for 6 or 10 months to pay for the rest of the trip. Then you need to get a job and you need to suck it in - not suck at servicing. Pretend you are acting - thats its all for camera and you are giving a performance every time you have to serve thats how I got through long monotonous days on check outs when I was 16 trying to scrape enough by for food. Then you have to religiously pay back the full amount before the interest free period is up or you will be in big trouble. Be disciplined to get the good things you want out of life now and you will be in a position not to worry so much about the money aspect when you are older because your options through the education and work experience you have already gained and the travel experience (because I consider that an investment in your character too) will be so much broader and should yield much finer returns than I currently have!

Good luck! Tell us how it goes!

• carla
    carla

Get a degree in SOMETHING if at all possible. You will regret it later if you quit now. Even if one day you want to revisit the artist/rock star deal. Be realistic here, how many artists really make it well enough to live on exclusively? Most have 'real' jobs and do the art on the side. Same for bands, they all have real jobs during the week and play gigs on the weekend.

The Marines? Think they would take you? Many people do not realize the standards for Marines are higher than for all the other branches, that is why they are The Few, The Proud, The Marines. I know a recruiter that has to send many who are not qualified to be Marines to the Army recruiting office. The military is a good choice for some, do your homework before signing on that dotted line. To have a dishonorable discharge is a terrible thing to have on your record. Some say you can't even get a job at McDonald's if that is on your record. There are many millitary discussion boards you can go to and talk to people who are currently serving our country.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

The very fact that you mentioned this first says that you know what you should do, the others are hopes that someone would tell you to do the wish list.

1) Not go to Italy.
    I could take the $1700 I have saved up and use that for 2 months of bills. I could find a job at the same time or focus on school for those 2 months, instead of work. Those are the possibilities.

Best choice

Theres more:

Dreaming, buckle down and do the responsible thing.

abr

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It sounds like your head is in the clouds with so many options.

The sensible thing would be to find another part-time job and stick to getting your education. It sounds like you can't really afford this field trip, no matter how much you would like to do it. Once you get your degree in "something" you will be better placed to get a reasonable job and follow your dreams.

Meanwhile, buckle down and ged 'er duuun!

Talking of which, I need to get back to the books myself. I have an assignment due in on Wednesday

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit