Trinity?

by BFD 142 Replies latest watchtower bible

• heathen
    heathen

Hey, am I finally going to get to meet you in May??!!!

I hope so . Is this going to be an international fest?

Ok so I'm guessing now you are adopting the latest trinity beliefs rather than the one that was originally intended by the church that God , christ and holy spirit all make up one God in person . Like a triune. The creeds that determined it did not state that Jesus was his own individual or a person in subjection to the hebrew God YHVH. Jesus was the only angel that didn't refuse worship to himself . The apostle Paul did write about being one God and one christ and mediator . I think the main point is that we don't condemn each other over a difference of opinion here . Whether anybody takes my theological views seriously or not doesn't matter to me . I often get reminded that being a heathen is not exactly a proper title to engage in these type of debates .LOL I do anyway because you never know what the next guy will say and perhaps give you some food for thought.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Methinks we are on a similar enough page. I really don't sweat the small stuff, though I'll argue my perspective with the best of them. Yes I hold in a Unity of three persons, from my own reading of the Canon of 66. That wouldn't be the extent of my theology, though

I'm really looking forward to finally meeting you - its been a long time in coming!!! Folks are mainly from the States, but there are a few of us from England and Scotland as well. I guess that certainly makes it international

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

Let me start by saying, I don't want to minimize the importance of love in any way. I would like to ask however, If loving idols would be glorifying to God?

Why do you think Jesus answered the question you asked "What are the greatest commandments?" with the Hebrew "Shema"

Mar 12:28

And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first (foremost) commandment of all?

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

Is God glorified in an intellectual understanding of the Trinity?

Mark 12:30

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Why wouldn't He be? This is, after all, the way that He revealed Himself.

How do we know we have passed from death to life?

Could believing in the God of your minds eye, be idol worship, if it's not the God revealed in scripture?

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, He who hears My Word and believes on Him who sent Me has everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation, but has passed from death to life.
    What is God?

Good question, LT. Maybe you could answer that with a verse or two. I believe He is many things.

heathen

Yah and I suppose whenever jesus was shouting ," my God my God why have you forsaken me", when he was dying , was only to confuse us even more .

Do you know this was a quote from Psalm 22:1? With that quote Jesus draws attention to the many fulfillments of Psalm 22

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Love of God and Neighbour.

...we love the brethren.

God is love.

Had to be a theme in there somewhere, huh?

Anything that we conjour up in our minds is an inferior idol. On this point I agree with JamesThomas.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    God is love.

Text LT Text!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

Here are a few more verses that seem to suggest this is an important issue.

Act 17:29

Then being offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like gold or silver or stone, engraved by art and man's imagination.

Col 2:9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.

Rom 1:20

For the unseen things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being realized by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, for them to be without excuse.

I wouldn't call the Godhead (nature of God) "the small stuff"

• rassillon
    rassillon

It seems that if some one is a trinitarian they will see the trinity in the bible

If someone is not a trinitarian they will not see the trinity in the bible.

There is no way this can be answered one way or the other, it just wasn't that important for God to spell it out.

Here we go let's ask God if it is important.

Hey there God, we all want to know, are you a trinity as we understand it or not?

If it is not important feel free to not wasting your time replying.

Thanks!

There you go if God replys we will know, if not it doesn't matter.

-rassillon of the "I see no explicit trinity in the bible and I am not willing to go further than what is written class"

• BFD
    BFD

Rass,
    Thanks for the prayer. So, far in my reading I am leaning towards a Trinity. But, as has been pointed out, I am reading an older version of the Bible (KJV). I went in to town yesterday to see if I could get a newer version at the christian book store but it was closed. Funny though all the bars and two tatoo parlors were open. lol

BFD

• heathen
    heathen

To me the trinity belief is all smoke and mirrors .It's so obvious that the church wanted to keep some pagan beliefs in order for them to peacefully dominate the pagans . It's noted history that emperor constantine used religion to control his empire .It's also why the WTBTS claims these beliefs are babylonian in origin since there are records of ancient babylonian triune Gods. Jesus could not be bother father and son , it's absurd . So he went to sit at his own right hand as mentioned during the stoning of stephen ? I don't think so .................. He was the only human to reamain loyal to God from cradle to grave so was the promised messiah that was given authority over death and was a perpetual sacrifice that canceled out original sin and can also be used as a means for forgiveness of individual sin ............. IMO

• sir82
    sir82

Just jumping to support nvrgnbk - I too read "God Against the Gods" - I was surprised as well that there was actual bloodshed in the first few hundred years of church history.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit