Trinity?

by BFD 142 Replies latest watchtower bible

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR - Thanks Mr. Nitpicky. I also mis-spelled earlier. Did you notice?

I must have missed that one, lol.

Why do you suggest the gospel s? in that order?

John was written by an eyewitness to Jesus life, and records many things that are not found in the Synoptics. I found, in my own personal reading, that John was a much simpler book to grasp, though there are some things in it that are very weighty.

Is there a "correct" translation, no there is not. However, I do not hold the low opinion of the Bible that some posters have. I have seen enough evidence from textual criticism to believe that the Bible we know have is 99% or more pure to the original autographs, and the New Testament is even closer to 100%. The issue to me in selecting a translation is how the original languages were translated into, in our case, English. The NASB is pretty much word-for-word, whereas the NIV is more of a thought-for-thought. I believe both are correct, and have there uses within hermeneutics. The most accurate translation of the New Testament is by Kenneth Wuest. He really attempts to translate into English the various tenses that the Greek has. It is a difficult version to read, but it gives a better understanding of what the authors were trying to get across.

One last point, I will not impugn the beliefs of another by calling it "mire." I think that sort of comment is best left in the hands of the bigots of the world.

• journey-on
    journey-on

The trinity doctrine has always been very very tough for me to grasp. I guess being raised a JW, I just didn't have the requisit foundation for understanding it. I'm still not sure how to envision it, but what I'm thinking is a pretty good analogy is (hope this doesn't sound silly to some ofyou) that it's like your computer. There's the actual (1) physical hardware, the (2) power or energy source (electricity), and the (3) programs (software). Each is a separate thing and can stand alone, but together they are the computer that CREATES and projects whatever it is you are trying to do.

• ninja
    ninja

Does anyone think the Holy Spirit will be further revealed just as Jesus was in the 1st century?,,,the NT seems to be the revelation of the second person of the Trinity and gives glimpses of the third

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Does anyone think the Holy Spirit will be further revealed just as Jesus was in the 1st century?,,,the NT seems to be the revelation of the second person of the Trinity and gives glimpses of the third

Most of the NT seem to indicate the Holy Spirit's task is to A) direct the unregenerate to faith in Christ, and B) to lead the beliver in sanctification. I am not aware of any Scripture that tells us of a third manifestation reserved for the Holy Spirit.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Welcome to the board BFD.

I agree with the majority of posts that basically stated it's time for you to get a new Bible. Most JWs don't even realize there are more versions out there besides the King James. What you may actually like the best is a parallel Bible that will allow you to compare many differant versions side by side.

As you have allready noticed giving up what you thought was true for many years is not easy. There can be many new things that seem to confusing and hard to grasp but as time moves on things will clear up.

-Drew

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

At the end of the day its supposed to all be about "love", right?

I thought it was about God's glory and honor. confused

John 5:21

In the same way that the Father brings back the dead and gives them life, the Son gives life to anyone he chooses. 22 "The Father doesn't judge anyone. He has entrusted judgment entirely to the Son 23 so that everyone will honor the Son as they honor the Father. Whoever doesn't honor the Son doesn't honor the Father who sent him.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DDog:

1. What are the greatest commandments?
    2. How do we know wee have passed from death to life?
    3. What is God?
    4. What is the sum of Christ's commandments?
    5. What is the greatest of the fruit of the Spirit?

Methinks you'll find that all of these focus on "love".

Surely God is glorified in this? But let's not put the cart before the horse. Is God glorified in an intellectual understanding of the Trinity?

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

For me, Paul's words at 1 Corinthians 15:20-28 is proof that Christ is in subjection to God who gave Christ all power and authority. We probably can never know the true relationship between the Father and Son since it is spiritual and beyond human comprehension. But since God and Christ are revealed in scriptures in human terms as Father and Son which we can understand why do we need to go beyond this revelation?

• heathen
    heathen
    why do we need to go beyond this revelation?

Because people are always rewriting the bible and making a mess out of it . The trinity makes no sense and it is easier to remove the one or two scriptures that allegedly support it . John 1:1 says the word was with God and the word was God , now give me a break here , vrs 2 says he was with God in the beginning. The word of course being jesus .

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Read Heb1:8 the whole of Hebrews chapter one is reaaly good. Col 2:9 remember to read the scriptures in context and not in isolation like the JWs do. Enjoy your search

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit