Trinity?

by BFD 142 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

BFD

Most new transations have deleted that rendering. NIV for example reads: 7 - "For ther are three that testify: 8 - the Spirit, the water and the blood, and the three are in agreement." The reason for the deletion is the words "the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit" are not found in any manuscript earlier that the late manuscripts of the Vulgate. So, most scholars and translators feel that they were not part of the original.

Many trinitarians have criticized the NWT for its biased unitaraian views. But it should be noted that they are not above slanting their translations to their views. For example, compare John 1:18. NIV reads "No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only who is at the Father's side, has made him known." It is only the footnote that clarifies this confusing rendering. "14,18 Or the Only Begotten"

• BFD
    BFD

XJW4EVR - Thanks Mr. Nitpicky. I also mis-spelled earlier. Did you notice? Why do you suggest the gospel s? in that order?

BFD

• Beer Connoisseur
    Beer Connoisseur

For Christians, one of the first things you need to understand when it comes to God is what the word means.

The Watchtower claims its a Title. Only one being can be God according to the Watchtower. Your Bible will tell you "God" is a nature (substance) that only those who are truly God are made of. Note Galatians 4:8 where Paul tells them "Formerly you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods" Why were their gods not the "True God" ? Because of what they were made of, wood, stone etc.

If God is a substance or nature, then who is made up of this divine nature? Note Isaiah 9:6 speaking of Jesus "Mighty God" Isaiah 10:20,21 says Jehovah is "Mighty God" Even the Watchtower Bible had to translate these verses correctly. If Jesus and Jehovah are God by nature or substance, we have two living beings, One God.

If I use the word human. I am refering to a substance. Men & Women are by nature human. Two unique type of beings, one nature. It is also true that the millions of living persons around the world, all unique in themselves are all one by nature. So many living beings can be just one thing.

We still have not proven who the third being is that would make up the Trinity Doctrine. Lets do this at another time. Hope this helps.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Comma Johanneum is a marginal gloss (originating in patristic commentaries) that eventually found its way into the text, first into the Latin Vulgate and then retroverted into Greek and began to appear in late Greek MSS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_Johanneum

Nearly all modern versions omit the interpolation.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

That last post was excellent.

That scripture you quoted is too controversal to base your beliefs on it.

There are lots of other scriptures that would lead you to believe in the Trinity though. If I were at home, I could help more but I do not have the memory of a lot of those here to quote a scripture off the top of my head.

I know there is one that says that the Son is "Eternal Father, Mighty God, Prince of Peace" (Isaiah somewhere)

• BFD
    BFD

Thank you all for posting your comments. But it seems now I am more confused than before, because apparently there is no way to tell which version of the Bible is the right one. It reminds me of what I read at Revelation 22:18-19.

If people have added to and taken away from the original text, what's the real message? Regardless, I think I will continue reading at my own pace and try and come to some sort of conclusion. Or is this an exersise in futility?

BFD

• greendawn
    greendawn

BFD nice to see that you realised after so long that the WTS is not the truth with more careful study you will see where they have gone wrong in their doctrines. But Revelation is very hard to understand being so full of symbolisms. The verse you mentioned is considered to be a later interpolation.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    Thank you all for posting your comments. But it seems now I am more confused than before, because apparently there is no way to tell which version of the Bible is the right one. It reminds me of what I read at Revelation 22:18-19.

There is no "right one", BFD. I suggest you read numerous versions of your choosing, along with commentaries, concordances, etc, to develop your understanding. It is hard work, not at all like sitting in a meeting having "da truf" force fed to you. It may take months or years of research to come to your conclusions, which may change numerous times as you continue your studies. I find that praying for God's Holy Spirit to help me understand what I read helps.

If people have added to and taken away from the original text, what's the real message? Regardless, I think I will continue reading at my own pace and try and come to some sort of conclusion. Or is this an exersise in futility?

Overall, I look at the "big picture". Is the "correct" interpretation of every Scripture really neccessary? Most Scripture, imo, is non-essential for salvation. Much is prophecy, principle, geneology, opinion, history, etc. The abilty to discern what is and what is not important to your research goal is the key. It is never an exercise in futility, although you may think so at times if you are looking for black and white answers that just aren't there.

BA- Hope that helps you, Bro.

PS- Thanks for the "props"!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

BFD:

I am reading the bible for the first time.

Be extremely careful and vigilant that you do not sacrifice your life to the mire.

If you desire healthy wisdom, I suggest spending more silent time in nature instead; and if you must read something, take along a small copy of the Tao Te Ching.

j

• heathen
    heathen

I think Mathew 28:18 clarifies the trinity controversy . If jesus was given all authority then he never had it to begin with . John 14:28 also shows jesus talking about a higher power and authority . I feel tho that these days to use the capital G in God while talking about jesus is OK. mighty God he is and not almighty God .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit