How did you dispose of your JW books? (Or did you?)

by exwitless 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rebel8
    rebel8

I put mine in the bbq but they started screaming when I lit the fire. j/k--I threw them out.

If I had to do it again I would donate them to ex-jws and cult therapists. I would burn the leftovers or pour water on the pages before recycling, so they can't be read by a gullible non-jw (potential cult recruit).

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I threw almost all of it in a dumpster. I still have copies of the Proclaimers and Reasoning books, both of which I found later after my cathartic dumpster escapade.

Dumping all that shit in the dumpster was probably one of the most liberating feelings I've ever had.

• Atpeaceatlast
    Atpeaceatlast

One week before I was to get married (August 20, 1988), I solemnly stood in front of the years' worth of literature and stared unemotionally at them for quite a while before I placed them in the garbage can. I was leaving for a new life in Florida with a non-JW man and I wanted to give my old life a "funeral" by getting rid of the memories of what was and could have been my life as a JW woman. Although my heart was broken and my spirit crushed by the events of the previous three years (father died of colon cancer, judicial committees, lost friends, lost JW boyfriend, wearing the scarlet letter of being a sexual suspect, only true JW friend committed suicide, my fading, the subsequent harassment, living in Chicago to get away from them and him, finding a man who paid attention to me at a time when I was down a path of self destruction...), I knew my old life had to die in order for me to survive all that pain. Looking back, I'm a totally different person and getting rid of the literature was very cleansing for me in order to "resurrect" to a new life in Florida.

• yumbby
    yumbby

Great fireplace material. And they did make the prettiest colors sparking as they burned.

• zack
    zack

I'm just starting to fade so I have all of mine. My wife diligently brings home each month's stipend of mags and a KM for me.

• Hannah
    Hannah

The huge stack of magazines we had my kids used for paper mache projects. My husband insists on keeping some of the larger bound books for research and a NWT. It's that darn NWT that makes me mad...that's the publication I'd love to toss. The rest of the books are slowly making there way to the trash bin.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Ripped to shreds 30 years of books and magazines etc. I did not want to contaminate anyone else with them.

Blueblades

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

We just cleaned out garage yesterday and found some still packed up from our move. We tossed the studied ones, but the ones like new I am thinking of putting on ebay. They are the ones I saved so our daughter could start her own "theocratic library". YIKES!!!! Now I am just saving a few that will show the kids the changes in doctorine over the years that greatly affected us. I am going to box up the "Paradise" book for sure, generation change compared to what I was taught to believe whole heartedly. I just want to keep a few on hand, almost all of our family are witnesses and I am sure they will try someday to sway the children. I am going to use them as ammunition along with the cards and letters of those who loved us conditionally. Its too much bother to burn them and wait, so we put them in the garbage dumpster, there is no scavaging allowed at our dump. The ones I pitched before we moved I put in a private dumpster I had delivered to the house to use during a remodel. After years and years of carefully preserving these "treasures" YUCK I didn't flinch to pitch them. The kids were helping pitch them too. We only threw out one or two other books that were non-jw. The rest of the books from our childhood, etc. are for a garage sale. I think the kids will notice that the jw cult control ones were all we were really concerned with pitching. We even threw out the huge meeting case hubby used to tote with all the literature and found an old service bag still packed. Good riddance to that way of thinking. Kitten Whiskers

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

I plced them inside a plastic bag, then inside another plastic bag, then placed them inside a wall of a room I was refinishing in my house. Spiritual food for the mice now.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I pulled the hard covers off then I put the few books I have through the sheder. (A lot of work) I found 3 more just a while ago, I am going to wait until the snow melts and go up to the forest and experiment to see how a 380, 9mm Luger and a 357 mag penetration @ 20 yards.Boy I love this site!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit