Would you die for what you believe?

by avidbiblereader 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

In all reality I think we all can have ideas of noble stature, however, in our frailty as human flesh, our intentions are not always what we act out, under adversity. " There is many a slip, twixt the cup and the lip."

I think even scripture is cognizant of this fact. " The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." and" No greater love hath any man, than he that would die for his brother".

That said, I find it incomprehensible how the witnesses acknowledge this, but refuse military service. These soldiers die every day for our freedom. They have the greatest love!

Such a sacrifice was expected of the man Jesus, but he was, according to writings the son of God. I think many people wouldn't have a problem giving there life for there child etc, but how far will you really go for what you beleive in. Is it worth it? Are you that sure? Death is the ultimate test of conviction but it is also, in my opinion a mark of fanatacism. Even Peter denied the son of God three times under duress. I think God will cut us some slack on this one, but how does he veiw a suicide bomber. Does this please him? You have to admit there is an admirable amount of conviction here to blow yourself to peices, but the world at large only see's a phycho and a fanatic.

• steve2
    steve2

Since my birth a few decades ago, my beliefs have changed significantly. Therefore, I'd be a fool to die for them.

One of the very worst human traits is the preparedness to die for one's beliefs. The world's full of the rigidly self-righteous only too willing to take themselves and others down all in the name of having the Ultimate Truth. It's the stuff of fanaticism and reeks of putting Ideas above Compassion.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

abr Since we all have beliefs, we're all going to die for them. I think the question to ask should be, "do you have the courage to live for your beliefs?" A life worth living is a life worth dying for!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

DDog:

I think the question to ask should be, "do you have the courage to live for your beliefs?" A life worth living is a life worth dying for!

I like the way you put that

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    abr Since we all have beliefs, we're all going to die for them. I think the question to ask should be, "do you have the courage to live for your beliefs?" A life worth living is a life worth dying for!

Nicely put Deputy Dog. That's kinda what I was trying to say. Those of us who walked away from the WT hope(albeit a false hope)

have chosen to live now instead of waiting for some future reward. That is courage. We are the heroes! ( Maybe that last part's a little bit much

but you get my drift.) We have all received a death-sentence(albeit an illegitimate one) from the WT. According to their dogma, we are going to

die for not recognizing their claim of rulership over us.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

nvrgnbk

have chosen to live now instead of waiting for some future reward. That is courage. We are the heroes! ( Maybe that last part's a little bit much)

Why? What are you living for?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    have chosen to live now instead of waiting for some future reward. That is courage. We are the heroes! ( Maybe that last part's a little bit much)
    Why? What are you living for?

OK, damn it! WE ARE THE HEROES!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Solomon seems to encourage living now (Ecclesiastes), while still retaining some measure of faith

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LT

Are you referring to this passage?

Ecc 7:1

A good name is better than expensive perfume, and the day you die is better than the day you're born. 2 It is better to go to a funeral than to a banquet because that is where everyone will end up. Everyone who is alive should take this to heart!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Dying for beliefs is the ultimate act of stubborness.

Would I step in front of a tank for a principle? Nope

Would I step in front of a tank for another person? Yes. I think most people's lives I value more than mine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit