How polite are you?

by JH 42 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

How many have ever worked in retail?

Both the customers and fellow associates were the rudest I have ever encountered!

The mid managers were the worst!

It was a prison of despair working in a clothing shop. Yuck!

Never a kind word of encouragement.

Just barking and snide remarks and you HAD TO TAKE IT OR THE CAMPAIGN TO GET YOU TO QUIT WOULD BEGIN AND NEVER LET UP TIL YOU DID!

Anybody else experience it?

• anewme
    anewme

did I commit a JWD sin and highjack JH thread?

May I apologize and say "excuse me" truly.

Please continue one and all on the topic of manners.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I am polite almost to excess. I hold the door for others behind me. If I'm in a lacksadaisical position of comfortability and an older person enters my personal airspace, I'll position myself by standing up straight and in a stance of respectability, " Stop Slouching!!! ". I'll remove my hands from my pockets when meeting them while walking in the opposite direction. I'll never sit in the front of the bus as those seats have been reserved for the handicapped and elderly. Even when with my wife, I'll usually sit in the back of the bus to allow the space for those. She sits in the front as she has trouble with her knees.

I always try to make eye contact with the elderly to be in a position to greet them with a wave, nod, a whispered hello. I don't go out of my way to speak but can usually bridge when it is acceptable to greet them as many are yet untrusting of those who are strangers. I'll always feel guilty about sitting on a bus while any woman has to stand. Except for the loud abbrassive, bubble-gum popping Bimbettes, who frequent the routes during school hours.

I try to judge when its best for me to be standing as well as to remain seated as I often have a large carry all bag that can be more in the way, with me, than for me to just sit down to not take as much room in the aisles. I try to keep my eyes properly focused when there are other women around, and a woman who might be a little risqu'e in her attire might generate another response when in a different setting. Look quickly, if necessary and be done with it. Women can tell when we're doing the OMG thing in our heads, even when we try to disguise that there's nothing of such on our minds or hearts. They just know. I try to use all colorful language to an absolute, bare minimum, especially in public.

I've made a point of always knowing where the automatic open button for the elevator doors are located so as to always be ready to gracefully and effortlessly hold open those doors for those who might be running to catch it.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I'm extremely polite. Excellent manners.

BA- Except when dealing with a**holes!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Prophecor = you win the prize for best behaved bus and elevator passenger.

I'm the mean one who sneaks in the lift and doesnt hold the doors for latecomers so that I can have it for myself to see how I look from behind in the surround mirrors! I wonder if that gains me entry into the Brooke-Butt School for "ladies"

• prophecor
    prophecor

STING LYRICS "Englishman In New York"

I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear
    I like my toast done on one side
    And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
    I'm an Englishman in New York

See me walking down Fifth Avenue
    A walking cane here at my side
    I take it everywhere I walk

I'm an alien I'm a legal alien

If, "Manners maketh man" as someone said
    Then he's the hero of the day
    It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
    Be yourself no matter what they say

Modesty, propriety can lead to notoriety
    You could end up as the only one
    Gentleness, sobriety are rare in this society
    At night a candle's brighter than the sun

Takes more than combat gear to make a man
    Takes more than a license for a gun
    Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can
    A gentleman will walk but never run

If, "Manners maketh man" as someone said
    Then he's the hero of the day
    It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
    Be yourself no matter what they say

Sting expresses my position here to near absolutes

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I love that song!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Having a fairly unorthodox appearance, I feel really conscious about I treat others.

So I always hold doors, say sir and maam, and try to be in general as courteous as possible.

• agapa37
    agapa37

I love manners and wish to be polite and well mannered at all times. If I know the rules, I obey them.

I was always a good little girl.

some rules you mean right?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I'm alright. At work, I will hold open doors for people, but in social settings not so much. I think I am more chivalrous for old persons, but not so much with women closer to my age.

When I drink, I become even more polite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit