How polite are you?

by JH 42 Replies latest jw friends

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Thanks for your feedback, Nvrgnbk. Now I'm still wondering if it's the polite thing to do around younger males, and what's the age cut-off (so to speak), and what about on dates? Always a question for me, each time I reach a door anywhere in close presence with a male. Anyone?

• Xena
    Xena

I was raised to be polite and am raising my daughter that way. You hold doors open for people, say please and thank you. Just show consideration to others in general. Even when it's not appreciated or reciprocated.

I have to say then when I was in Britain I got more help from gentlemen with my luggage and offered a seat then I did in the US. We got on one shuttle here in the US and my 11 year old daughter was obviously ill, not one person offered to let her sit down. Sad, really.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

A view from the other side

Most often people will hold doors for me. Some will even rush back to hold a door or even move to the inside doors.

Most often the ones who don't are the young but even there I get pleasantly surprised more often than not.

As for seats on the bus - well I have my own. But about half the time the driver or I have to ask some one to move so the seat can be flipped up and I park my wheelchair in its place. But even that is getting better as more wheelchair users are using the system. Some people will even get up and flip the seat up for me. And I almost always get lots of smiles and comments when I park the chair on the first try.

I think too that this whole issue of courtesy towards others is very different depending on the size of your city. Montreal (pop of the mega city is 3,666,300 in 2006) is a city where people are rushing on their way and they don't even see other people. Winnipeg and Ottawa are around 6-700,000 and people seem to be more courteous.

At least in my experience.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Im very polite......always hold the door and such.

Now do something impolite to me or someone else? Look out.....my manners go out the window.

Like the story I told you. Helping my handicapped mother go to the bathroom and somone knocks. I say politely, we will be right out. A few sec later, knock knock knock a bit harder.......I say again, we will be right out. A few sec later.....BANG BANG BANG.....about 8 times..I lost it! And they laughed and walked away. I am talking grown women about 60 years old here. It didnt end there, the bartender and I had our words with them........"So does it make you feel good that you were banging on the door like that with a handicapped woman in there that cant light her own ciggarettes?" And much more was said........and they left with their tails between their legs.

• mia_b
    mia_b

I open doors or keep them open, step out of the way for disabled or older people. i dont very often give up my seat as i usually faint when standing on a crowded train, i get embaressed that i dont give my seat up though, as of course no one else would know that i would faint otherwise. when i was younger and travelling with my sister i would make her give up her seat to sit on my lap if there was someone old or pregnant. I get very annoyed at people who dont say please and thankyou and even more annoyed at people who eat with their mouth open. i'm one of those weird people who says thankyou to parents if their children are polite, because i appreciate the work theyve put in.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Believe it or not, I am POLITE! (to a point....lol)

I do say Ma'am and Sir and hold doors, help elderly put their shopping purchases into their cars etc..... I say "may I, please and thank you" all the time. (as well as my children) My children never call any adult by their first names it is always Ms. or Mr. first. I also give up my seat all the time to those who need it.

Those who I DO know very well(good friends/brothers), I will joke around with and be a little more relaxed.

However, there are moments I do have, that I am completely rude. I know it. It's just that I am honest and blunt. Rude moments like these, I have every reason/right to do so. I just say what everyone has always wanted to say, but doesn't have the courage to say. I don't just go up to someone, in a rude manner with out a reason to do so.

Examples:

Someone is rude to a waiter or waitress(a nice server) with no reason and giving them a hard time......

I will first be quiet but tell the server that I am sorry he/she has to put up with people like that. Then as time goes on I will slip a little something over to the table. Such as:

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to interrupt your trough feeding, but I was wondering if you could possibly leave as soon as you can because the grunts are repulsive and just looking at people such as yourselves nauseate me. Thanks, take care - bye bye."(I say it nicely too)

I know it is rude but it is within good reason. I don't care what they think, if they walk up to me or say something back, they better watch out because I do have a mouth and I know how to use it.

For the most part I am POLITE!

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

I'm always polite to my bartenders...

• ninja
    ninja

I always apologise when I rob someone at knifepoint ....and thanks when they part with their cash.....he he...its a cultural thing

• anewme
    anewme

I love manners and wish to be polite and well mannered at all times. If I know the rules, I obey them.

I was always a good little girl.

I think Ive come full circle.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Depending on the setting, I may not be too polite and I don't feel guilty about it. Sorry if it sounds snotty. Let me explain:

In most public places, I will be polite and hold doors for people behind me but not to the point of ridiculousness. After all, I am not a doorman. But, I will wait if I see an elderly person or somebody with packages, crutches, wheelchair, or somebody with kids and stroller. And, of course, if I accidentally bump into somebody, I excuse myself.

In a work setting I will generally be polite UNLESS I am dealing with an arrogant individual. Years ago I worked somewhere where there was a freight area we sometimes walked through and of course there were doors at either end. These doors were heavy, I might add. If somebody was directly behind me I would hold the door. Well, there was a very arrogant man who worked there. One time when I was walking through and he was behind me and I held this heavy door for him. He never uttered a word of thanks. I said, in a voice he could hear, "next time it slams in your face" and I kept going. There were a few other arrogant characters like him there who I would never break my stride for.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit