Long Time Current Bethelite's Take On the Young, New Gov. Body Members

by Seeker4 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I was talking to a friend yesterday whose sister and brother-in-law have been at Bethel for three decades at least, working in important departments that put them in contact with the Writing Dept., Gov. Body, etc. on a daily basis.

This friend of mine has been a Witness for half a century, and has been fading for the past 3-4 years. He's very tired of how much authority the Society feels it has over his life, and so he recently talked with his family at Bethel about whether the new, young (50s or so) Governing Body members would create some needed changes in the WTS. If they would back off from the hardline, we-have-no-boundaries in telling you what to do approach that the GB has had for decades, and breath some new life into the Org.

The Bethelite brother-in-law, who is quite perceptive and intelligent said, no, it was actually just the opposite. These young GB members are actually MORE hardline and old school than some of the older GB members. He said not to expect any changes for the better from this group of brothers.

No surprise there, but interesting to note the Bethelites attitude.

S4

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hello seeker4,

Thanks for the inside info.

These young GB members are actually MORE hardline and old school than some of the older GB members. He said not to expect any changes for the better from this group of brothers.

This is painfully obvious from recent developments and articles. Makes me think of the whole "you shouldn't even think of taking a pair of jeans with you to the DC" thing and other tightenings of the choke-hold.

Always appreciate reading your comments,

Nvr

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Seeker

It doesn't surprise me that the younger GB members are even more "zealous" and exacting in upholding the Watchtower's policies. Undoubtedly, they were selected to serve on that basis. And each tries to outdo the other in "proving" their loyalty to "Jehovah's Organization." We see a similar pattern among the elders in the congregations. It takes courage and fortitude to go against the "tide" of organizational mindset. These qualities are sadly lacking especially among the leadership.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Sounds like the same friction Ray Franz had with the GB of his day. Nothing changes I guess. I just wish I could live long enough to see the Tower fall.

The Claw.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Just a thought or two:

Anyone who is on the GB has a vested interest in the WTS in at least a few ways:

1) They're "true believers," in which case their 'natural' inclination is going to be to defend the 'true' faith, at any cost to themselves or others;

2) They're 'climbers,' in which case they will, for selfish reasons, do whatever it takes to preserve their position;

3) They've invested so many decades of their life into that 'movement' that, though perhaps no longer being 'true believers,' and though not necessarily 'climbers,' they will effectively behave as such, and support such doctrines and practices that serve to perpetuate the status quo.

Of course, the same can be said of anyone (especially males) who have spent a considerable part of their life in the WTS.

It reminds me of when I was working in Eastern Oregon, and on the weekends did a bit of "road-hunting." Some of the trails, I'd get so far down, and the road conditions would be degrading to the point that I really wasn't sure my rig would make it through...but I kept on going anyway, rather than do the obvious intelligent thing and turn around. At the end of one of those roads, I came out at a farmhouse (locked gate), and had to ask the owners to unlock it and let me out. The lady of the house looked at my rig, and said "You made it here in that?!!?"

• uriah
    uriah

This is not surprising, it happens in corporations throughout the world. The ones in charge groom those who will take over and so it cascades right down to the R&F. Those looking up will ape the ones they want to be like and whose postions they want, so some young buck wanting to be an MS will do what it takes, trampling over people - no problem; then he will move on to be an elder, always ready to affirm that he is a company man, even if this means treading on those once thought to be friends. In the cong, because you have more than one elder, there is no threat to this from some other buck, so you are likely to find elders sticking together and new elders letting pre-elder friends drop if they are no longer any use to them. Then comes jockying for the PO. In Bethel I imagine it is much worse as the 'worthies' climb over friends on their ascent of the corporate ladder. Those up the ladder are watching their backs to see who might overtake them. Those at the top are watching all this to see whom they will select, mainly those in which they see themselves. As has been mentioned, the new appointees want to 'out-theo' those in charge when their turn comes - this is so that they not only step into the shoes of the out-going incumbent but have them soled and heeled to make nice new impressions on the faces of those coming up the ladder, just so's they all understand who is now in charge and that they are going to kick some serious arse. No one in their right corporate mind is going to slack off the reins, they probably thought that the previous incumbents were too soft as it was and 'when they get in power, boy are things going to change'. This will of course be music to the ears to those who get their jollies off by being 'in charge' and ordering people about, you can almost hear the jackboots being polished.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Excellent points, all.

Even this couple, who are now in their 60s, know that they've really got to stifle any dissent if they want to remain at Bethel. They were running scared during the downsizing, but had enough seniority to be able to stay.

And it is certainly obvious that the WTS is only going to choose real company men to lead them. Change is not in the wind by any stretch of the imagination.

S4

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    These young GB members are actually MORE hardline and old school than some of the older GB members. He said not to expect any changes for the better from this group of brothers.

Sounds like they were trained a bit TOO well.

I wonder how long before they turn on the older GB for being "too soft on sinners".

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    The younger GB members are even more "zealous" and exacting in upholding the Watchtower's policies

A couple of years ago I heard Samuel Herd at a circuit assembly talk about how to treat your mother if she is disfellowshipped. He said you must love her less.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Maybe it will end up like Rehoboam when Solomon died and he went hardline and lost 10 of his tribes,

Jesus said "I want mercy not sacrifice", they just don't get it.

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit