The "power" of positive thinking...do you believe in it?

by onacruse 69 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:
    With similar respect...

When we have a positive attitude we exude it. It is infectious to those around us. Things get done for us, to us, with us, around us, in us. It isn't just a matter of thinking yourself fitter while slobbing out with a packet of chips on the couch in front of the TV. Any single point in isolation negates the whole.

Think positive then do something about it, without endless pontification. IMHO that is at the primal heart of the "power of positive thinking". If the ratio of rational thinking is increased it simply becomes "design", which results in less pee, less endorphins and less enthusiastic action!

On a similar note, it is one of the things that Brits will grudgingly admit that they admire about Americans - the "can do" attitude.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I definitely believe in it. I went to seminars on this subject 10 years ago, long before "The Secret" became popular. All the same information. But I had unknowingly been using the principles as long as I can remember.

I have focused on things I want, including material things, business objectives, trips, etc., cut out pictures and put them on a "Dream Board". I've gotten every single thing I've focused on by doing that. It involves pretty heavy concentration, daily reading your goals, looking at the pictures, and somehow it just all comes together. They say it's the vibrations you throw out into the universe, that come back to you fulfilled. Sounds good to me.

All I know is it works for me. I call it goal setting. Some call it prayer. Same difference.

Years ago, I had a conversation with my cousin's husband on this subject. I have been goal oriented my entire life and have achieved great personal and business success. My cousin's husband had not............he was 10 years older than us, never owned a home, always drove junker cars, couldn't hold a job, constantly broke, always sick or injured. I talked to him about setting some goals, using the knowledge I had acquired and the success. He said very bluntly "I don't believe in setting goals". End of conversation. What could I say to that piece of brilliance? I wanted to say "yes, and it shows". He was convinced everyone was out to get him, and he just got bad breaks, while the rest of us were lucky and were in the right place at the right time. He was a lifelong JW, but left them about the same time we did.

By the way, he passed away two weeks ago, a widower, living on a small social security pension, trying to get by, still believing he had had a lot of bad breaks. Sudden fatal heart attack. At least he didn't have a long lingering illness like his wife had.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Uzzah:

If small children can teach us nothing else, they teach us to love openly (without fear), to never be too tired to play, and to push their limits and comfort zone. We all exerted ourselves to go from crawling, to staggering to walking. Some even to run. Amazingly enough as adults we are content to be at that level of acheivement. Why?

Now that's a very good question.

If I may offer one reason: as adults, we have experienced enough pain as a result of rejection and condemnation and disillusionment that we lose ("suppress" is the better word) the desire to expose ourselves in that simple, happy child-way. Thus we strike an emotional "balance" in life that enables us to survive.

This is one of the Biblical statements that means a lot in that respect: "Be like children."

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Btw, are you competing with Terry in the Avatar stakes, or did Simon just get his revenge again?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ross:

or did Simon just get his revenge again?

LOL...naw, he's sleeping in (at least, that's what my "power" of positive thinking is).

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/25/130661/1.ashx

• trevor
    trevor

I have read all the books and walked the walk but in the end we settle down again to who we really are and accept that we all have different natures.

Nothing has given me a kick up the - fill in the blank - quite like Terry. All broken down and simplified into logical facts.

Of course before we can be positive we have to decide what it is we want.

I don't want to read any more books that attempt to accelerate my performance and make me a number one salesman working seven days a week and paying huge taxes.

I would we rather spend the weekend in my garden with a beer or two and a good book.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There is a physical change in brain chemistry when people avoid anxiety. That's measurable and proveable. Does that mean that positive thinkers get everything they want? NO.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Does that mean that positive thinkers get everything they want? NO.

Agreed. I have certainly not gotten everything I wanted, but a significant number of them, to be convinced.

It should never be used to treat illness without also consulting a doctor. I've heard The Secret tells about curing cancer using the techniques. Never have seen that work. I think you are working one force against a different kind of force.

If you focus on material things and then just sit on your butt waiting for it, that doesn't work either. What was it we used to hear all the time "work in harmony with your prayers"? Same difference.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Strangely enough I perform better when I am being pessimistic and actually believe I will fail. I think what happens is as follows:

By expecting to underperform or even fail it takes only normal behaviour to exceed expectation, exceeding expectation induces an inner drive and improved response. When I'm over confident in an outcome normal behaviour fails to meet expectation and leads to a lessening of desire and so a decreased response ensues. I guess I'm just wired that way. Funny thing is I can't just fool myself I genuinely need to expect to fail to derive my best performances odd huh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit