The "power" of positive thinking...do you believe in it?

by onacruse 69 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

Kate and I were talking a bit about this last night, and in the course of our conversation it suddenly occurred to me (yeah, I have a lot of those Homer Simpson "doh!!" moments ) that my curiosity about, and resistance to, the idea of "positive thinking," (in the context of this topic) has a lot to do with that famous Pauline statement (NWT):

Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.

Now, I think that it's not unreasonable that my disappointments about the "outcome" of that way of living life has, perhaps, inhibited me from considering other possibilities (quantum physics notwithstanding).

Thus my ambivalence.

In a way, it's almost like I'm asking for proof that the "power" of positive thinking produces real results, but hand-in-hand would necessarily come an inclination to reject such proof as being nothing more, and nothing less, than the mere coincidences that happen in every person's life, and which may be attributed to personal influence (by thought), rather like:"Life gave me a flat tire today, and I thought to myself that some Good Samaritan would help me out, and sure enough, somebody stopped to help me, within 5 minutes...thus 'my positive thoughts' must have had something to do with 'making' this happen."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, I think the marketeers of the "power of positive thinking" up and ruined the concept. I live as an optimist, and I would not have it any other way. I turn over the rock until I find the gold.

It's helped me spot opportunities and act on them.

It forces me to look in the eyes of a homeless person and treat him as my equal. (Happened this week. Remind me to tell the story some time)

Now, does positive thinking work like some kind of formula or talisman? I think not. Bad things happen all the time to all sorts of people. It's not what we gain from positive thinking, it's how we bounce back that's important.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In the words of Nike "Just do it!".

I think it goes beyond simply intellectualising, but actually involves a whole attitude. As has been stated, it isn't so much a case of 'projecting and receiving' as 'projecting and attracting'. Maybe Hillary has a point when suggesting that there's an element of self-hypnosis and that it has been proven effective. On a similar note, this would be one reason that I retain a place in the world for religion, because sometimes it is an effective key to unlocking the psyche to greater things.

Paul covers it well, as does Dharma. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you", also works to this principle.

Didier suggests that its an oxymoron, and I would smile and agree; but I would also suggest that the act of keeping it in the intellectual mind instead of "releasing" it to activity can also hinder its effectiveness.

Just do it!

• Terry
    Terry

You can really understand a person by asking them this question.

It calls into question the very nature of how they think.

The premise behind people's internal "logic" is framed by how they define this.

There are really, fundamentally only two schools of thought which are:

1.Primacy of consciousness (reality has no independant existence, but, can be shaped and affected by either our thoughts or god's thoughts)

2.Primacy of existence (the universe exists independant of consciousness)

This gives us only two ways to approach life, reality and decisions as well as shaping our understanding.

1.Man gains knowledge of reality by peering inward and/or patterning his thinking according to some specified higher-power or superior source.

2.Man gains knowledge by means of his senses evaluating what already exists and gradually discovering these natural processes in order to obey them. (Man cannot command nature until he learns to obey nature.)

In short:

1.Man's consciousness is an instrument of CREATING reality.

or

2.Man's consciousness is an instrument of PERCEIVING reality.

Under the first category, man loses his mental process to whim, imagination, delusion, mythmaking and being commanded.

Under the second category, man gains strength, wisdom and skill gradually until he can shape nature with tools, technology and science.

It is usually the poor or naive or uneducated who buy lottery tickets, consult astrological charts, throw their money into wishing wells and seek mystical seers to reveal "hidden secrets of power" to them which they blindly follow while uttering "I BELIEVE".

For the TRUE BELIEVER, Primacy of Consciousness leads them into a life of seeking the easy way out through "tuning in" to some mysterious inner frequency that will channel God's mind.

Postive Thinking, at its very best, helps us when we are OPTIMISTIC of our success by basing it on knowledge, training, preparedness and focus on a purpose.

Postive Thinking, at its very worst, leaves us in la la land with a silly grin and a losing lottery ticket stuffed into our car's glove box.

• PEC
    PEC

No, I believe only in randomized double blind placebo controlled tests. If it hasn't be proven to work or can't be tested, it is not worth my time, effort or money. There are millions of dead positive thinkers that believed.

Philip

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Feelings and thoughts are intertwined. You cannot have a feeling without it being filtered through your brain first. It is your brain that perceives, evaluates the experience and triggers what it believes to be the appropriate emotion.

When someone's filtering process gets clogged up it can start to perceive most everything as a negative experience. It really is the glass half full concept. You may wake up and its raining. This upsets you because you wanted to garden today and the weather has now screwed up your plans. You feel frustrated. A farmer wakes up and it's raining. He is thrilled because it is good for his crops. Perception is reality. How you perceive the event or circumstances affects you emotionally.

Assessing one's own thinking patterns can be an integral part of experiencing life to the fullest without being bogged down in the negativity. Life is good. Some people suck but life is good! From appreciating the intricacies around us to marveling about something we just can't grasp (span of the universe) or watching others enjoy a moment and sharing in their giddiness, life is full of wonderful moments that are missed because of our mental filters.

I recall reading an excellent book on this topic a few years back. Let me go dig it up (most of my library is in boxes) and I'll reference it here shortly.

Uzzah

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry:
    I hope you take note of Uzzah's post.

Postive Thinking, at its very worst, leaves us in la la land with a silly grin and a losing lottery ticket stuffed into our car's glove box.

It sounds like you are passing by a lot of wonderful moments, even if you do think you're currently enjoying life to the max...

Sometimes winging our way through "lala land" can be far more effective than vascilating due to overthinking a situation. If it harm none, not every lottery ticket is a loser.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Philip:

There are millions of dead positive thinkers that believed.

Yes! And I could have well been one of those millions...the "Millions Now Living Who Will/May Never Die!"

Ross, you and I have had a few conversations about this, and if I may be so bold, and with absolutely no intend to offend you (you know my nature): I think your "just do it" attitude misses the point. Now, many people (dare I say most?) would consider me a "positive" person. But has my "positive" nature changed the universe around me? No, I think not.

For example, suppose, by circumstance, I'd chosen not to take Alan's advice for me to join JWD? Then I would not have met Kate. Was that because I had a "positive attitude"? By no means. It was the merest of coincidences, just one of those things that "happens" in life. It wasn't like I'd put out some "positive thoughts" into the universe, assured thereby that I'd meet someone like Kate: in fact, I had no intention whatsoever of ever being married again (my screen-name notwithstanding).

Uzzah:

I recall reading an excellent book on this topic a few years back. Let me go dig it up (most of my library is in boxes) and I'll reference it here shortly.

I've been doing a fair bit of the same "box-digging" lately. I look forward to what you have to say.

Craig

• Twitch
    Twitch
    In the words of Nike "Just do it!".

:-)

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

The book I was thinking about was David Burns, "Feeling Good - The New Mood therapy"

It goes through many of the thinking patterns that can either lead to or keep someone in a depressed state. It goes through an analytical approach to the thought process and the feelings generated.

I can't find the other reference to tie in with it, but it was dealing with living a life with passion. Beyond Kate, what are you passionate about? I am constantly amazed at how many people aren't passionate about anything. Is there anything that gets you truly excited? Think of a small child, for months asking for a new bike. One day his Dad comes home and pulls out a new bike from the back of the car. Can't you just picture the child, jumping up and down, giddy with excitment if he got any more excited he'd likely pee his pants?

With the exception of the peeing your pants comment, when was the last time any of us allowed ourselves to get that visibily excited about something? If small children can teach us nothing else, they teach us to love openly (without fear), to never be too tired to play, and to push their limits and comfort zone. We all exerted ourselves to go from crawling, to staggering to walking. Some even to run. Amazingly enough as adults we are content to be at that level of acheivement. Why?

Be well Craig. Be happy!

Uzzah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit