The "power" of positive thinking...do you believe in it?

by onacruse 69 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

some days yes

some days no

today it's i postively believe it doesn't work

• onacruse
    onacruse

to asinac.

The very first time I ever heard of this idea of the "power" of positive thinking was when I was partnered with a "worldly" fellow (Mike W.) in business (in the late 70s). He was all up on this...and the result was that I got screwed (financially), by his "positive thinking," and a few more people after him (including his wife). The local HBA has asked me if I can tell them where he is...they have a few of their own discussions they'd like to have with him.

Thus, my skepticism.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I'm positive I'm a diehard pessimist. Nothing irritates me more than a bright-faced, chirpy optimist. When I drive through McDonald's early in the morning, the one thing I don't want to hear before my coffee arrives is an employee trilling "Have a nice day" at me. Grrrrrrrr.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

onacruse,

when I think of the term positive thinking, I am not thinking of wishful thinking, or pie in the sky dreaming...

I am thinking about how having a positive outlook on life in general makes one a happier person, or at least, a less crabby person...

I live with a person who's entire outlook is negative, everything bad that can happen, WILL. the glass is ALWAYS half empty.

I like being realistic, so if I dont think that something will work out, I dont expect it to work out, but I work towards making it work out, and I keep an open mind about having a positive outcome. If it doesnt work out, it doesnt, I try to not let it get to me, or make me upset, I just move on...

does that make better sense?

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I believe the mind is so powerful that we cannot imagine the impact of ourselves with a postiive attitude, it is used in many things already such as sports, wieght lifting and others, I heard it put this way

"life is 90% attitude and 10% reality".

abr

• onacruse
    onacruse

fmw,

the jist of what I've gathered from the idea of the "power" of positive thinking is that you get back what you project: not in the sense of "if you're a negative person, then you see everything negatively," but in the sense that "if I just throw out these positive thoughts, project positive feelings, then, in some 'magical' way, these will reflect back to me." It's almost like "creating" something, simply by thinking it.

Does that make any sense, the way I expressed it?

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I'm positive I'm a diehard pessimist. Nothing irritates me more than a bright-faced, chirpy optimist. When I drive through McDonald's early in the morning, the one thing I don't want to hear before my coffee arrives is an employee trilling "Have a nice day" at me. Grrrrrrrr.

Damn, parakeet.

And I thought I was a pessimist.

Warlock

• searching99
    searching99

i believe in it. i think when we are wanting something and believe in it, are excited, then it attracts people into our lives that further that desire. it doesn't mean nothing bad will ever happen. but i think the same way a bad mood can be cantagious so can good moods and feelings.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    and the result was that I got screwed (financially), by his "positive thinking," and a few more people after him (including his wife).

It sounds like it worked for him!

I was making an attempt at levity with my other post, but yes, i do believe in it. In grade school I loved Laura Ingells Wilder's books. One of the wisdoms that her mom passed on to her was "There is good in every bad" And one year when they lost all their crops, Laura found some comfort in the fact that she wouldn't have to feed the itinerent workers at harvest time. This had a big effect on me as a little kid, and has helped me at times when I have been at my lowest.

At the very least, a bad experience is a learning experience.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

the jist of what I've gathered from the idea of the "power" of positive thinking is that you get back what you project: not in the sense of "if you're a negative person, then you see everything negatively," but in the sense that "if I just throw out these positive thoughts, project positive feelings, then, in some 'magical' way, these will reflect back to me." It's almost like "creating" something, simply by thinking it.

Does that make any sense?

Hmmmm,

I always try and see things from a scientific perspective, so I dont think that anything can come about just by thinking it...(hence why I had a problem with praying for anything! I never had enough faith to believe that god would just do stuff for me simply because I asked himto... when I prayed, I prayed to thank him and tell him I was sorry for being such a sinner!)

I think that positive thinking can only help someone, and that negative thinking can only hinder them....

but I also think that without action, NOTHING will happen either....we cant just thinking positive things, project positive feelings, and then things fall into place.

I believe, life is what YOU make it. Happiness is a choice.

positive thinking does have some power...it gives us the incentive to keep going...

does that make sense?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit